Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2015 2:38:58 PM EDT
So I have a 9mm F1 suppressor stamp (#3 now, previous two were 5.56's) that should be approved by this time next week. I have been bouncing back and forth on deciding what the host will be, and finally decided today that my P30 will be the host. (This thread will not detail the F1 suppressor building, as there's plenty of threads in the suppressor forum on this).

The point of this thread is to give a before and after, and to ask any questions I may encounter on the way, share my progress, and get advice from people who have suppressed their P30's (hopefully a few here have).

So, my P30 is bone-stock V3. I've had it for about 5 years now. It mainly has been used in USPSA. Sweet shooter, as many of us know. Never really carried it much though, because I prefer the size of my P2000 for carry.

First step taken today was to order the threaded barrel. Grabbed the HK OEM threaded barrel with 13.5x1 LH threads, so I don't foresee any issue there.

Second step for the gun is to replace the stock sights with something tritium. It is literally the last pistol in my stable without night sights, and if its becoming more than a competition gun it needs some proper sights. All my other HKs have Mepro's right now.

So, for my first question, regular height or suppressor height sights? Anyone have an opinion?

And, finally, the "before" picture. Taken in March 2014, I literally haven't snapped a photo of the thing since.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go suppressor height sights since you want to replace them anyways with tritium.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Just saw that there are some P30 Tactical Mepro's on Hkparts, in the same style as the USP Tactical sights. I signed up for an email alert when they're in stock. The only other thing I'm seeing for tactical height sights are the Heinie's, and I'm not a fan of that figure 8 dot design.

Of course, my custom kydex holster probably won't work with the tactical height sights, have to check on that when I get home. Didn't occur to me until now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a light and regular height sights?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How about a light and regular height sights?
View Quote
I've got a spare TLR-1 that floats around between few carry guns. Already have a Raven Concealment holster for the P30/TLR1 combo, but I was looking at it last night and the molding will not allow for the threaded barrel or tactical sights. So either new holster, or try to heat gun mod this one. But I'll tackle that at a later date. That holster works well with my VP9/TLR1 too, so I may just call it the VP9 holster and order a new one for the modified P30.

I love the Mepro's already on my HKs, so chances are I'll probably end up buying the standard P30 Mepros. I don't think "shooting through the can" will be an issue, but I've never actually shot a suppressed pistol either. The P30 Tactical Mepros did look awesome, but I can't find any info about an eta on them.

Threaded barrel arriving tomorrow . Stamp should be approved by this time next week.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Threaded barrel arrived today, put it in the P30 and actually got a chance to try it out tonight. Was at a rifle range, so the closest distance I was able to shoot was 30 yards (also did 50), but I held about a 6" group at 30  so I think the barrel accuracy wise is good.

However, the thing flung the brass directly into my face, which I've never had this P30, or any HK, do to me before. It was worse on the first 10 rounds, but did seem to get better the more I shot. I'm not sure if maybe it was my grip (I haven't shot the P30 for about 5 months now) or if it was something mechanically with the gun, but it was strange. Chances are it was me. I'll have to go to my range and bring both barrels, and see if it does it with the original barrel and  if it continues with the threaded barrel.

Behold, the P30 "TB": (sorry for the potato pics, I promise the final suppressed picture will be with a real camera)

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is mine...

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Beautiful! Is the frame cerakoted?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Beautiful indeed.

Nobody can make polymer framed handguns look like works of art like HK can. And I am someone who strongly prefers metal framed guns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Beautiful! Is the frame cerakoted?
View All Quotes

Yes, Magpul FDE. Gun was my EDC for a few years. Not super long in the FDE though.

Slide shows some proper wear.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yes, Magpul FDE. Gun was my EDC for a few years. Not super long in the FDE though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like it.

I've been carrying my USP Compact off and on for 8 years now, including "rough carry" on hiking and backpacking trips, and it only just started to show proper wear. Nothing like some well earned wear on a good pistol.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Suppressor approved earlier this week. Preview of the build below. Just an empty tube so far.

Gemtech LID booster.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Still waiting on a few components for the tube, so no progress there yet. Leaning towards standard Mepro's for the P30 right now. Put a Gemtech Tundra on order while I was at the dealer getting my tube engraved, so the P30 will probably actually be the host for the Gemtech when it arrives, which being a smaller diameter can won't need the taller suppressor height sights.

However, seeing as I now need another host(), I'm now starting a second side project. Just ordered a used police trade in USP 9mm (see the deals thread in team for link) that I'll start to convert over to a "tactical" as well, and it will become my new HD pistol with the F1 can.

Plans for the USP will be threaded barrel, Tactical height Mepro's, GGG rail, and possibly the match trigger kit, along with new springs to replace any worn ones.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Tested the finished suppressor yesterday, first time using a pistol suppressor so I have no benchmark for comparison, but I was very impressed with the noise reduction. It felt like there was less recoil also, which I hadn't been expecting.

I did have three stovepipes in a row right off the bat with the 147 gr subsonic ammo, but after that there were no issues with either the subsonic or regular 115gr range ammo. Im not sure what caused the malfunctions, but if it had been ammo related I'd think it would have continued happening with the subsonics, which it didn't. A little strange.

I'll be hopefully using it again tomorrow evening, so we'll see if theres any other issues, but so far I'm very happy.

I had no issue shooting through the can BTW, so I'll be getting the regular Mepro's for it.

ETA: Ill get some pictures up later this evening
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top