Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#1]
It still to this day haunts me I did not buy one years ago when they were much cheaper.  Now you are lucky to get one under 2K but I still want one.  One day I will find a good price used on one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I had the opportunity to shoot one a week or so back with the issued suppressor and while accurate and fun it was front heavy and for the cost a MP5 clone makes more sense for the role.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:58:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I had the opportunity to shoot one a week or so back with the issued suppressor and while accurate and fun it was front heavy and for the cost a MP5 clone makes more sense for the role.
View Quote
Not every gun has to have a role.

You role minded folks need to get off that hang up. Seriously.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:32:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You  "not every gun needs to have a role" folks need to come to grips with the basic idea that when someone asks if something is "worth it," discussion of value tends to be in relation to role.

If any and all guns are "worth it" because, "hey, it's a gun, they're all worth having," there really isn't much to discuss.

But, when talking about spending up to 2 grand on a handgun, what it would be used for and how it would be used is a normal part of the discussion.

So, when asking people's opinions about value, you will tend to get responses based on what you are getting for the money - i.e. what role it serves and whether the cost makes it "worth it."
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You  "not every gun needs to have a role" folks need to come to grips with the basic idea that when someone asks if something is "worth it," discussion of value tends to be in relation to role.

If any and all guns are "worth it" because, "hey, it's a gun, they're all worth having," there really isn't much to discuss.

But, when talking about spending up to 2 grand on a handgun, what it would be sued for and how it would be used is a normal part of the discussion.

So, when asking people's opinions about value, you will tend to get responses based on what you are getting for the money - i.e. what role it serves and whether the cost makes it "worth it."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, when talking about spending up to 2 grand on a handgun, what it would be sued for and how it would be used is a normal part of the discussion.

You just do not get it.

Range fun, oh emma gee, that's a role all by itself that you cannot even fathom or except. Collection role, oh noes, another role you're being blind to.

So is the Mk23 worth it to someone like myself that owns a lot of HK pistols already?

Yup, it is.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You just do not get it.

Range fun, oh emma gee, that's a role all by itself that you cannot even fathom or except. Collection role, oh noes, another role you're being blind to.

So is the Mk23 worth it to someone like myself that owns a lot of HK pistols already?

Yup, it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just do not get it.

Yup, it is.

Not blind to it, but "range fun" applies to pretty much everything. The OP asked for opinions. He got many. But this appears to really bother you that some people have a different opinion than you.

I don't see the point in dropping nearly 2 grand on a pistol that big. Perhaps you do. The joy of diversity.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The OP asked for opinions. I gave it.  Just because you bought or plan to buy the mk23, because you want one, does not mean that everyone has to like what you like. If the OP was in your boat he would not have posted, he would have picked up what he wanted.

To add for the OP. If you want a suppressed 45 pistol still I would go for the HK45C. It is actually used by seals as well to replace the mk23 as the mk24.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Change the Knights for an Osprey and it won't be front heavy.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The OP asked for opinions. I gave it.  Just because you bought or plan to buy the mk23, because you want one, does not mean that everyone has to like what you like. If the OP was in your boat he would not have posted, he would have picked up what he wanted.

To add for the OP. If you want a suppressed 45 pistol still I would go for the HK45C. It is actually used by seals as well to replace the mk23 as the mk24.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I comletely agree. It's a hell of a nice pistol.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would almost recommend just getting the full sized, so at least you have the far superior ergos and better sight radius.  
I mean, despite the name, the 45c is a pretty big gun, almost identical I. Size to a ruger p95.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:30:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
MARK 23 or the HK45...gonna love um either  way
http://i57.tinypic.com/n19gk8.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

WHAT THE SHIT!?!?!   You need to bring that to the range next time.  
Probably in a week or two before it gets too cold

OP my brother picked up a "used" USP 45T and it's great, I have smaller side of medium hands and it fits me perfect, I'm replacing the sites with some fancy raised trijicons and sending it out to Bill Springfield for trigger work.  Like the others have said it seems to be more of a novelty but either way still cool.

Quoted:
Quoted:

This!
Errrrr mah gaad!  Rollz!!  

Unless you're a military/PD or asking a specific question like "is the mark 23 good gun for my wife?  She's about 5'1" and 110 with size xxxxs hands and likes to conceal carry everywhere" there isn't a "roll" the OP asked about.  Just is it cool.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:09:51 AM EDT
[#12]
USP Tactical .45 all the way

Super accurate too with a match grade trigger, with almost all the bells and whistles of the Mk23 (sans the cool decocker).

I couple mine with an Octane HD, and it is super balanced and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
when asking people's opinions about value, you will tend to get responses based on what you are getting for the money - i.e. what role it serves and whether the cost makes it "worth it."
View Quote

Agreed. Hard to define "worth it" when 99.9% of us aren't using it in the role it was intended for. It pokes holes in paper, maybe a little better than others, but for the cost you can buy a USP .45 and a LOT of ammo, instead of a Mk23... but for a collector it is a nice piece to have in your lineup
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it will be quieter.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

OP my brother picked up a "used" USP 45T and it's great, I have smaller side of medium hands and it fits me perfect, I'm replacing the sites with some fancy raised trijicons and sending it out to Bill Springfield for trigger work.  Like the others have said it seems to be more of a novelty but either way still cool.

This!

Unless you're a military/PD or asking a specific question like "is the mark 23 good gun for my wife?  She's about 5'1" and 110 with size xxxxs hands and likes to conceal carry everywhere" there isn't a "roll" the OP asked about.  Just is it cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This!

Please do not ruin such a fine gun by sending it to Bill Springfield.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I use to be one of the MK23 naysayers.  I was perfectly content with my FNX-45 Tactical.  I have soured on the FNX, terrible trigger and it's sort of a half baked design.  Twice when I let less experienced shooters use it they managed to insert the magazines in backwards and jam them in.  You cannot do that on HK guns, they are soldier proof.  The RMR concept is cool when dry firing but I never liked it in practice.

I sold the FNX and started hunting for a USP Tactical to use as a suppressor host.  Found a KG dated Mark 23 with the camo case and <500 round through it for $1,300.  It was a lot of gun but as a child of the 90's I couldn't pass it up. I never looked back.  This is THE MOST fun handgun I own.  Would I ever carry it?  HELL NO, it is huge!  But I won't ever sell it.  I even purchased one of those "old" "loud" KAC Silencers for it.  I already have a perfectly good Griffin Revolution 45, the latest and greatest.  But the KAC and MK23 give me a shit eating grin every time.

Bottom line is that if you want it, it's worth it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This!

What's wrong with using Bill? Traded a Mk25 for a P30L that had his trigger work previously done by the former owner and the trigger is way better than stock.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#18]
After 35/40 min of Google and reading forums I have seen nothing but positive things about bill, many were on HK forums since I am looking to have my USP done.  

Care to elaborate more on why he is so bad?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup, still waiting on why bill is so bad.  You're the only ones suing he's no good, did the trigger man touch you in a bad place once?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yup, still waiting on why bill is so bad.  You're the only ones suing he's no good, did the trigger man touch you in a bad place once?
View Quote

Such eloquence for a technical forum, you are a gem.  My apologies for not responding to your 3 replies that took place within a few hours.  I have since sold off all my HK's, but I'd venture to guess I've got enough experience with them to know what I'm talking about, but you probably don't have the ability to search that far back on these forums.

Disregard if you'd like, enjoy your trigger job and your accuracy-mod spot welds.  Hopefully he has improved his work drastically, because if you can't find the issues yourself, you're simply not looking hard enough.

Found this one in 2.7 seconds....

Not my fault if you don't know who RSF is, but you should

Third edit, I now have 98 seconds into my searches, edits, linking.....

Grayguns does the type of quality work that is consistent with what HK offers from the factory.

Do what you will, but BS triggers are hackjob unsafe liabilities.  Your handgun deserves better, but then again, its entirely possible that you dont.  My sincerest for trying to help.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Yawn

Yup....

Should I keep going?  I think I'm about .005% done with the good examples.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:58:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Hmmmm.  Seems like a 50/50 shot or depending on how much he's has to drink that day?  Better work after a few or before though, I work way better after I've had quite a few.

Sent it out last Saturday anyeay, think he got it today so too late now.  We'll see what happens.  Mine just needs some fine polishing and tweaking anyway since it already has the factory match trigger.  

OP, sorry to thread hijack a bit.   On topic did you decide on what HK you want?  Go for the MK23?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#23]
IME, when you have an itch to get a certain firearm, you eventually scratch that itch
by getting it.

It may take decades,but you eventually fo.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#24]
For what it's worth, if you doubt the purchase of ANY firearm, you shouldn't buy it. I was hesitant of the Mark 23's price tag for years, but I am finally in a place professionally to afford one so I bought it two months ago. I LOVE IT. Best stock trigger I've ever shot. It is a bit bulky, but keep in mind it is still shorter and lighter (and more fun to shoot) than a Desert Eagle. And don't pay attention to the "You need big hands" talkers; 9 manufacturers out of 10 I wear a size Small glove, and the Mark fits my hands just fine.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Love mine.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Nice setup.

Off-topic question: How did you post that photo in your reply? I tried posting a photo of mine but it's not showing up on my screen.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#27]
It's an amazing piece of kit. If you have the money, get it. I've spent the last year contemplating whether this behemoth was worth my chunk of change. Now I regret that I wasted a year of thinking/contemplating instead of owning it. After one year of ownership, the novelty has not worn off. It gets shot every time i hit the range, otherwise the entire experience would feel "incomplete".

If a handgun cost nearly as much as my KAC r15 rifle and I still gave it some food for thought, chances are you want it for a special reason. You can argue if it's unnecessary or of no practical use, but that fact that this topic has come up time and time again of justifying a purchase of an almost 20 year old pistol which is priced at the very high end of handguns to this day, you can't help but admit (naysayers and belovers alike) that there's something transcendent about the mark23.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's an amazing piece of kit. If you have the money, get it. I've spent the last year contemplating whether this behemoth was worth my chunk of change. Now I regret that I wasted a year of thinking/contemplating instead of owning it. After one year of ownership, the novelty has not worn off. It gets shot every time i hit the range, otherwise the entire experience would feel "incomplete".

If a handgun cost nearly as much as my KAC r15 rifle and I still gave it some food for thought, chances are you want it for a special reason. You can argue if it's unnecessary or of no practical use, but that fact that this topic has come up time and time again of justifying a purchase of an almost 20 year old pistol which is priced at the very high end of handguns to this day, you can't help but admit (naysayers and belovers alike) that there's something transcendent about the mark23.
View Quote

I'm also torn.

But what does it do better than a USP 45 Tactical (which I was planning on getting). I could see if it at least held a few more rounds, but it doesn't even do that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm also torn.

But what does it do better than a USP 45 Tactical (which I was planning on getting). I could see if it at least held a few more rounds, but it doesn't even do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm also torn.

It's more accurate, smoother shooting, and quieter suppressed.  Parts that look like sheet metal in the USP look like chunks of metal in the Mark 23. Oh, and suppressors go on 'righty-tighty".
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's more accurate, smoother shooting, and quieter suppressed.  Parts that look like sheet metal in the USP look like chunks of metal in the Mark 23. Oh, and suppressors go on 'righty-tighty".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm also torn.

I'm sure a USP is more accurate than me

I would like it being quieter suppressed. My current .45 host is an FN FNX 45T. I think it's pretty damn quiet. Does anyone have any experience with how that compares to the USP or MK23?  
I actually already have a 16mmLH piston, so I'd have to buy another...

I see a lot of touting of how durable the mk23 is. I haven't seen any super high round count or torture test info for the USP, but it's been around for a while now. So for all practical purposes is the USP really any less durable?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#31]

Mark 23 with Steiner DBAL-PL visible/IR green laser/light combo

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm also torn.

What he said. It's also infinitely more stronger, way outside of any practical civilian use. But the thought of having that perk is nice... There's a lot of youtube "literature" out there with some detailed side-by-side comparisons of a USP tac and mk23.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top