Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2015 12:00:58 PM EDT
For some reason I really find myself wanting an HK USP Tactical, USP Expert in .45, or MK23.

I am leaning towards the MK23 because I have heard they are VERY accurate and an all around great gun (although a bit on the bulky side). If I were to pick up a MK23 it would be suppressed further down the road.

That said the 1500-2000 dollar price tag gives me pause and makes me wonder if they are really worth it.

Any user/owner input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have really big hands?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have really big hands?
View Quote

They are pretty big, yes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
No.  Get a regular HK45 if you feel the need for an HK.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the expert or a FNX 45 tactical.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
A very accurate crew served pistol!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

For some reason I really find myself wanting an HK USP Tactical, USP Expert in .45, or MK23.

I am leaning towards the MK23 because I have heard they are VERY accurate and an all around great gun (although a bit on the bulky side). If I were to pick up a MK23 it would be suppressed further down the road.

That said the 1500-2000 dollar price tag gives me pause and makes me wonder if they are really worth it.

Any user/owner input would be appreciated.
View Quote
I have never had the chance to coon finger one.  However If I were you I'd probably just buy the USP tac.  Ive heard people say it has a better trigger and it holds the same number of rounds.  

Also, Don't over look the expert.  Once a guy at the range let me shoot his I had to have one.  They are awesome, I'm buying one in 9mm here soon for target shooting.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a USP, USP Compact and a MK23. The MK23 get used the most.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No.  Get a regular HK45 if you feel the need for an HK.
View Quote

This.

The MK23 is a neat historic pistol with a very brief service record for good reason.

Far better .45's exists for a whole range of uses.

For a novelty/safe queen/somewhat historic pistol? Sure, I guess.

For a pistol for actual use/defensive purposes? Fuck no.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Worth it is subjective. If its worth the price to you then buy it.

Is it worth it to me? No.

I was once in love with the Mk23 as well, but the hefty price and even larger pistol itself just did not do it for me when I finally got to feel it in person. My buddy has a a USP .45 Tac, and I once again began to swoon over another HK pistol. But all the cool kids had RMR's on their .45 tacticool style handguns and before long, I wanted to be in the club.The cost of the USP .45 Tac+slide milling drove me to the FNX.45 Tac, and that is what I am left with today. I have nothing bad to say about it. The pistol itself was $1,025.00 OTD.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]
While it's definitely a cool gun with a good background, it's definitely on the bigger scale, like almost the size of a Desert Eagle. Other posters are correct in that you'll probably get more use out of another pistol, like an HK45. But this is merely my opinion. If you hold one, like it, and it will make you happy then you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#12]
It is the second most accurate pistol I've ever shot.  Top honors would be a tie between a Clark Custom bullseye 1911 and the HK USP Elite.

There's some history there, being the only offensive weapon handgun fielded by the military.

Very soft shooting.  Very big in size.

I had two, both purchased used.  Sold one, kept one.  It was kept purely as a collection addition.  The USP tactical gets shot more often I'd guess (which isn't a ton since I don't own a suppressor).  

If you buy one, buy used.  In my experience they don't get shot often so not a lot of wear on them.  You'll save some cash and less likely to lose anything if/when you decide to sell it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#13]
If you get a Mk23, you are obligated to go Metal Gear Solid on that shit.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I had one, sold it, then bought another at a steal of a price.

I use mine as a dedicated suppressor host. I like its raised sights, the long sight radius and barrel give it pretty good accuracy and it suppresses like butter, but it is indeed a bit of a buick in size. It is also a weapon designed in a bygone era... it uses a proprietary rail that nothing fits on well outside of the ultra rare and super expensive factory items, for its tremendous size it only holds 12 in the unique-to-it mag (of which it only comes with two), the newer ones do not have the crazy ninja maritime finish like the older ones, it runs a goofy 16x1 RH thread pitch whereas everything else is LH and to top it all off that two grand krauthammer doesn't even come with a thread protector in the box.

It is more of a collector's piece for me rather than any sort of everyday workhorse. To say what a lot of people always say, the USP Tac or even better the HK45 Tac is the much smarter buy. All you are losing with the Tac is the sight radius and barrel length. Yes you are losing the insane beef, but unless you plan on jumping out of submarines and space shuttle door gunning all the extra meat in the Mk23's action is lost on civilian use. And the difference in accuracy between a USP Tac and a Mk23 depends a lot on the shooter. I am far more accurate with the Mk23 than my Tac, but that "far more" is simply a tighter group. Its still a handgun and unless you are pistol pete few people really appreciate the benefits the Mk23 has going.

Obligatory family picture of father and son:

Son says "Dad, why are you such a huge fucker and I'm so small?"

Dad replies "Because I was designed by committee to meet specs no human being really needs... and because I ate an entire cow."
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I have large hands, and I couldn't believe how inadequate they felt when holding a Mk23.

The USP line was perfect.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#16]
HK MK23....

For when you really need a crew served pistol.

Everyone I know who has one, loves it.

Including people who didnt like H&K previously.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I went with the USP Tactical.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090226063046/metalgear/images/6/69/MK23_SOCOM.jpg
View Quote
This.

It's a giant fucking hoss of a pistol that would be a great companion to a Desert Eagle in your repertoire for "largest grip handguns ever built".

But if you can afford it? Sure.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090226063046/metalgear/images/6/69/MK23_SOCOM.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And that is the other reason I want it.

I am a BIG MGS fan.

Quoted:
HK MK23....

For when you really need a crew served pistol.

Everyone I know who has one, loves it.

Including people who didnt like H&K previously.

I shoot Sig, Glock, and 1911 of various makes.

HK makes good stuff, I have just never had the money for the HK and may soon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It is the second most accurate pistol I've ever shot.  Top honors would be a tie between a Clark Custom bullseye 1911 and the HK USP Elite.

There's some history there, being the only offensive weapon handgun fielded by the military.

I had two, both purchased used.  Sold one, kept one.  It was kept purely as a collection addition.  The USP tactical gets shot more often I'd guess (which isn't a ton since I don't own a suppressor).  
If you buy one, buy used.  In my experience they don't get shot often so not a lot of wear on them.  You'll save some cash and less likely to lose anything if/when you decide to sell it.
View Quote
Pretty good advice right here IMO

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Due to the fact that limited numbers were imported and the are no longer being made, I assumed that all of them are used.

I reload, so it would get shot A LOT, hopefully I will be employed soon (after which I would get the MK23) and any time off would be spent pumping iron or throwing lead.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Due to the fact that limited numbers were imported and the are no longer being made, I assumed that all of them are used.
View Quote

That is actually false. The Mk23 has been in constant production, even to this day. If you look close at my photo my "new" one has a BE date code... it was made in 2014.

HK doesn't make them by the thousand, but they do still make them... I always hear people saying "this is the last year they are going to make them", yet they seem to keep on making them. My LGS still had one on their shelf, brand new in the box for sale as of a few months ago. It finally sold and they (smartly) did not order another to replace it. As I mentioned in my first post the newer ones no longer have the unicorn tears maritime finish. HK stopped making them with that years ago. The new ones come with the same "hostile environment" finish the USP Tacticals have. But unless you are swimming in salt water with it every day you most likely won't notice a difference.

I think the main reason why everyone thinks these guns are only available used is because they tend to be found used nine point nine times out of ten... they can be a very "buyer's remorse" pistol that tends to change hands more than a girlie mag in a middle school locker room. Heck I have actually seen my original Mk23 up for sale something like two times here locally. It is almost like a bad penny glued to a ping pong ball that I keep seeing people listing for sale either at gun shows or on armslist.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That is actually false. The Mk23 has been in constant production, even to this day. If you look close at my photo my "new" one has a BE date code... it was made in 2014.

HK doesn't make them by the thousand, but they do still make them... I always hear people saying "this is the last year they are going to make them", yet they seem to keep on making them. My LGS still had one on their shelf, brand new in the box for sale as of a few months ago. It finally sold and they (smartly) did not order another to replace it. As I mentioned in my first post the newer ones no longer have the unicorn tears maritime finish. HK stopped making them with that years ago. The new ones come with the same "hostile environment" finish the USP Tacticals have. But unless you are swimming in salt water with it every day you most likely won't notice a difference.

I think the main reason why everyone thinks these guns are only available used is because they tend to be found used nine point nine times out of ten... they can be a very "buyer's remorse" pistol that tends to change hands more than a girlie mag in a middle school locker room. Heck I have actually seen my original Mk23 up for sale something like two times here locally. It is almost like a bad penny glued to a ping pong ball that I keep seeing people listing for sale either at gun shows or on armslist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  That rumor (sometimes reinforced by HK spokesmen) has persisted for a decade or so.

They're still in production and probably will continue to be as long as the USP line continues to be manufactured.

I also agree that they're purchased more often by folks due to its cool factor.  Once they have it in hand for a couple months they get packed away and then sold for something more practical.  This exact scenario is how I got my two.

ETA:  I see you're principally buying this due to being a video game fan.  In that case I can promise you that the novelty will wear off.  I would absolutely find one used in the $1,300-$1,500 range.  At least you'll be able to get your money back out of it in a year or so.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Get a USP .45 full size for a solid, accurate combat .45

If suppressors were legal here, my first choice would be the FNX-45. I personally think that FNX is what the Mk23 aspired to be. The FN has 15-round mags, suppressor night sights, threaded barrel and comes ready to take an RMR.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Get the FNX45T and you will be more pleased. If you happen to be a HK collector , get the MK23.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm, thanks. I will still heed Rob78's advice and buy used when the time comes. If I like it that much to buy a second I will.

Once a gun enters my collection it will not be resold. I am just as much a collector as I am a shooter.  

I have handled a MK23 and while it did feel big, it did not feel as big as the .50 AE Desert Eagle I handled.

Now, it is nothing like my Sig 228, which has a very (to me) comfortable grip, but I think I could make it work with the MK23.

Quoted:

ETA:  I see you're principally buying this due to being a video game fan.  In that case I can promise you that the novelty will wear off.  I would absolutely find one used in the $1,300-$1,500 range.  At least you'll be able to get your money back out of it in a year or so.

That is a big reason, but not the main reason I would be getting it.

In a weird way the pistol is actually pretty good looking and it feels like it could take a lot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hmmm, thanks. I will still heed Rob78's advice and buy used when the time comes. If I like it that much to buy a second I will.

Once a gun enters my collection it will not be resold. I am just as much a collector as I am a shooter.  

I have handled a MK23 and while it did feel big, it did not feel as big as the .50 AE Desert Eagle I handled.

Now, it is nothing like my Sig 228, which has a very (to me) comfortable grip, but I think I could make it work with the MK23.

In a weird way the pistol is actually pretty good looking and it feels like it could take a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth be told, it feels better in the hands than it should.  If that makes any sense.

Being so big, you expect a lot of heft, but it's not heavy.  

Additionally, I have average size hands and have no problem handling the pistol.  My thumb rides the safety when I shoot which should exacerbate any "grip too big" issues, but it causes no problems.

In terms of durability.  The MK23 was designed to handle more than 30,000 rounds of 45+P ammo before servicing.  It will outlast you.

Good luck on your hunt.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Coming from the viewpoint of Collecting first, Shooting second- Its a neat gun. If you have a full collection of HK pistols, and add this on the end as a "cherry on top" you wouldn't be remiss for doing so. Second, thing shoots flat. Drive tacks with it. Very happy with how mine performed. Also, I have larger hands so that helps. Paid $1800 NIB for mine on Gunbroker. Don't regret it over a year later.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I always hear folks compare the Mk23 to the Desert Eagle. It is true that if you lay them side by side the Mk23 looks like it is about the same size, but "feels" drastically smaller in your hand. Its the old analogy of a "big car that drives like a small car". Well, maybe not 'small'...

I think it has to do with the grip size and contour and all the plastic. A Desert Eagle feels like you are holding a brick with a cinder block on top in comparison, and the controls feel like they were designed for Andre the Giant... but a Mk23 feels just a tad larger than a USP Tac and the controls are all easy to reach and use for me. I personally prefer the dedicated decocker on the Mk23 to the unified lever on the USPs myself, and the huge mag release (huge compared to the stock nubs USPs come with) is much easier to manipulate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I was bitten by the bug, bought one and love it. I shoot all my guns including the MK23. With the SilencerCo Osprey it looks wicked.
I told my gun buddies if they ever see me toting the MK23 in it's drop leg rig, then its SHTF time
Hell Kramer mades belt and shoulder rigs for the MK23
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Truth be told, it feels better in the hands than it should.  If that makes any sense.

Additionally, I have average size hands and have no problem handling the pistol.  My thumb rides the safety when I shoot which should exacerbate any "grip too big" issues, but it causes no problems.

In terms of durability.  The MK23 was designed to handle more than 30,000 rounds of 45+P ammo before servicing.  It will outlast you.

Good luck on your hunt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks, I need to get employed first though.

The durability of the MK23 is a big thing for me. I am a 1911 shooter and will shoot anything from 200 grain SWCs (almost 9mm level recoil) that I roll myself to Winchester Ranger Talon +P.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#32]
what do you plan on doing with it? they are all "big" guns both will host a suppressor, IMO the MK23 is cool as shit, if i found the right deal i would definatly get one, because who doesnt want a MK23, if they were cheaper more people would have them, its hard to justify 2k on a handgun.

carry or just occasional shooter and occasional suppressor- USPT

competition-USP expert

dedocated suppressor gun, occasional shooter? MK23 i would also consider the Mk 23 an investment, people always want them, and it is a somewhat rare piece in a collection, definate cool factor

shit i might even carry a Mk 23 if i had one lol

and what the one guy said, solid snake that thing

but this is just me and my pennies
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:07:45 AM EDT
[#33]
An answer to a question nobody asked.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#34]

This is tech right?

No GD mouth breathing shenanigans, correct?

The M60 was a crew serve. The M249 isn't but can also be seen as a crew serve. The M240 is a crew serve.

The Mk23 is no crew serve. It's a niche handgun. No one has said they will EDC the damn thing. This one gun mentality has turned minds into soup sandwiches because they are stuck in one way of doing things.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is tech right?

The M60 was a crew serve. The M249 isn't but can also be seen as a crew serve. The M240 is a crew serve.

The Mk23 is no crew serve. It's a niche handgun. No one has said they will EDC the damn thing. This one gun mentality has turned minds into soup sandwiches because they are stuck in one way of doing things.

View Quote

What niche does it fill?

It's unduly heavy and burdensome, if you've decided to carry it - especially all tacticooled out, why not just go with a UMP in .45 (assuming sticking with the thread brand) or other .45 SMG? It's too cumbersome for a secondary, and too handgunnish for a primary.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What niche does it fill?

It's unduly heavy and burdensome, if you've decided to carry it - especially all tacticooled out, why not just go with a UMP in .45 (assuming sticking with the thread brand) or other .45 SMG? It's too cumbersome for a secondary, and too handgunnish for a primary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is tech right?

What niche does it fill?

Collection niche.

Range toy niche.

Etc.

This is not hard. I have an M1 Carbine, an M1 Garand,10/22 match, a Ruger American Rimfire, and a GP100 that serves only two purposes: Range fun and collection add ons. They have no EDC or HD value for me at all. We've gotten ourselves so hung up on that one gun mentality that it's making many of you lack any critical thinking except for that one gun focus.

This has nothing to do with mission ready motivate one gun to do it all here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:35:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

The offensive hand club as a SEAL Senior Chief I know used to call them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Collection niche.

Range toy niche.

Etc.

This is not hard. I have an M1 Carbine, an M1 Garand,10/22 match, a Ruger American Rimfire, and a GP100 that serves only two purposes: Range fun and collection add ons. They have no EDC or HD value for me at all. We've gotten ourselves so hung up on that one gun mentality that it's making many of you lack any critical thinking except for that one gun focus.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is tech right?

What niche does it fill?

Collection niche.

Range toy niche.

Etc.

What he said.

It's not about need in America, it's about want. If it were about need nobody would have anything but a CCW piece.

One of my biggest regrets when it comes to guns is listening to the Operators and selling my first MK23 pistol because it was "useless". Well, a gun isn't "useless" if it makes you happy.  I scraped and saved to get another one and it isn't going anywhere.

If it makes you happy buy it. Life is far too short to concern yourself with what other people think of your wants and desires.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I love mine and shoot it a lot.
Very accurate, very reliable, soft shooting.
Price is high compared to your normal CCW guns, but compare it to 1911's of similar accuracy I think is cheap (people will pay $3-5K for a custom 1911 and then poo poo the $1800 Mk23).
not something to carry, but assuming you have other guns for concealed carry etc, the Mk23 is a great gun to own/collect/shoot.
When it first came out, I think 12+1 of 45 was unique.  From a practical standpoint you can get .45's now with equal/greater mag capacity, and realistically with accuracy similar enough that none of us would be able to tell the difference...

Great gun to own, Yes.
Great gun to own if it was your ONLY handgun, No.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#40]
People will make fun of you at the range.  And you won't care because its a great gun.  It might not have a normal rail or ready for a red dot like a FNX, but it will not ever be squishy in the sun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#41]
I would get the mk24 mod 0.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Tactical with suppressor feels big and heavy.  Mark 23 with suppressor doesn't feel too different and shoots softer, more accurate, and quieter.  Knowing it's probably the most tested and reliable handgun ever made is nice too.  It sucks at being small and that's about it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I like that
Quoted:  It sucks at being small and that's about it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:56:08 AM EDT
[#44]
MARK 23 or the HK45...gonna love um either  way
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#45]
HK delivered exactly what the military asked for.  Hindsight abounds.

It is large but all of the crew served crap is just that...crap.  Yes, it is a large framed pistol but it is no Desert Eagle in size (or reliability...or accuracy) and certainly does not feel like one.

Mine at least is the most reliable GUN I have ever owned.   These things are incredibly reliable.  And most of the custom 1911 gunsmiths would kill for the accuracy they can achieve.  My personal carry Colt 1911 custom pushed $5k.  While the Mk23 is not inexpensive, it can be found for about a third of a high end 1911.

I know it is not perfect because nothing is.  As it is made to be shot suppressed and as noted it quite big, most people never think of carrying one.  I totally understand that.

But after I retired my 1911, I went to a Bowie Custom HK 45 with the full Vickers package and a Trijicon RMR06 by Ashbury Precision.  IMHO, the HK45 might be the ultimate combat/defense pistol:

Both pistols make great suppressor hosts:

But I had an itch to scratch.  Even though the HK45 is much more practical and has the same capacity (at least in my state), I LOVE the Mk23 and I wanted to carry it.

I am a very big guy with very large hands.  If anyone could get away with it, I could.  There was one problem though.  In CT, the Mk23 is an assault weapon (yes, it is.  No, I will not explain.  Yes, that is incredibly stupid but that's life here).  As such, the Mk23 could not be carried with a threaded barrel.  This is an issue because every Mk23 made came with one.  So, in order to scratch that itch, I had to find and buy another German HK barrel.  I did.  Then I had to have the threads removed.  I did.  Then I had to find a custom holster.  I did.  See?  It can be done.  All you need is a vision, patience, considerable money and be half crazy.  But it can be done.

So yeah, they're worth it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
HK delivered exactly what the military asked for.  Hindsight abounds.

It is large but all of the crew served crap is just that...crap.  Yes, it is a large framed pistol but it is no Desert Eagle in size (or reliability...or accuracy) and certainly does not feel like one.

Mine at least is the most reliable GUN I have ever owned.   These things are incredibly reliable.  And most of the custom 1911 gunsmiths would kill for the accuracy they can achieve.  My personal carry Colt 1911 custom pushed $5k.  While the Mk23 is not inexpensive, it can be found for about a third of a high end 1911.

I know it is not perfect because nothing is.  As it is made to be shot suppressed and as noted it quite big, most people never think of carrying one.  I totally understand that.

But after I retired my 1911, I went to a Bowie Custom HK 45 with the full Vickers package and a Trijicon RMR06 by Ashbury Precision.  IMHO, the HK45 might be the ultimate combat/defense pistol:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/20150521_203558_zpsrrt3hurk.jpg

Both pistols make great suppressor hosts:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/20150323_114348_zpslamaagld.jpg

But I had an itch to scratch.  Even though the HK45 is much more practical and has the same capacity (at least in my state), I LOVE the Mk23 and I wanted to carry it.

I am a very big guy with very large hands.  If anyone could get away with it, I could.  There was one problem though.  In CT, the Mk23 is an assault weapon (yes, it is.  No, I will not explain.  Yes, that is incredibly stupid but that's life here).  As such, the Mk23 could not be carried with a threaded barrel.  This is an issue because every Mk23 made came with one.  So, in order to scratch that itch, I had to find and buy another German HK barrel.  I did.  Then I had to have the threads removed.  I did.  Then I had to find a custom holster.  I did.  See?  It can be done.  All you need is a vision, patience, considerable money and be half crazy.  But it can be done.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-09/20150913_202159_zpsmczrpfib.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-09/20150913_202336_zpsmjymarch.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-09/20150913_202329_zpsokmx9rzp.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-09/20150913_202310_zpscsqwqxk9.jpg

So yeah, they're worth it.

View Quote

Have you ran .45+P or .45 Super through it yet? Man if so, that must be some octane with that length of barrel
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What niche does it fill?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is tech right?

The Mk23 is no crew serve. It's a niche handgun.

What niche does it fill?

Its an offensively designed handgun #1 from the start adopted by special ops and its performance is only surpassed by its toughness / durability.
It does its job well for many,many rounds more than the next available handgun.

Its not for everyone but is a unique handgun unlike anything else in construction and history.

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Price aside, I think if someone felt more comfortable using a handgun as primary HD weapon it would fit the bill quite nicely.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Its an offensively designed handgun #1 from the start adopted by special ops and its performance is only surpassed by its toughness / durability.

Its not for everyone but is a unique handgun unlike anything else in construction and history.

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w560/jkh62/Mark%2023/MK23Osprey_zps3517d74b.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w560/jkh62/Mark%2023/HKFamily_zps8fee003b.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is tech right?

The Mk23 is no crew serve. It's a niche handgun.

What niche does it fill?

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w560/jkh62/Mark%2023/MK23Osprey_zps3517d74b.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w560/jkh62/Mark%2023/HKFamily_zps8fee003b.jpg

It's adoption in SOCOM community lasted about 10 minutes, for good reason.

The MK23 is an interesting gun for historic reasons, and something of a novelty in respect to current .45 offerings. It does nothing better, nor does it out last more modern designs such as the HK45.

They work, they last, they're accurate......but have no ownership of any category. If you like yours, wonderful, but the pistol isn't some magical side arm. It's a high quality, very accurate and durable foot note in small arms history.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top