Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 8/19/2015 9:24:17 PM EDT
Currently I carry a Glock 19 as my EDC in an IWB holster. I really like the ergos of the HK line they have been putting out lately. I own the HK45.

My concern is... I keep reading that the VP9 isn't suitable for carrying. Just about every forum and every thread discussing the VP9 and even youtube videos, there is always someone saying "too large". Is there anyone out there that can put my mind at ease on carrying this firearm? I would like to replace my G19 with the VP9 as my primary carry weapon.

Who here carries the VP9 as their EDC? It doesn't seem like the extra 1/2" length of the grip would be a big deal, but I keep hearing people speak negatively.

Thinking of purchasing this week, want to make sure I'm making the right decision. I know it's a nice pistol either way, but I want it for a concealed carry piece.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a big deal. The Glock 19 conceals better, make no mistake about it. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is full of it. The grip is a Glock 17 length. Now for me, I conceal the VP9 well enough that the benefits I get with the VP9 outweigh the extra length and loss of 2 rounds (vs Glock 17). I CCW my VP9 primarily in an INCOG and when I can't I carry a Glock 43 in either an INCOG or black hawk pocket holster. Works great for me
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Those look like a great carry gun but I like them a bit smaller. I'm looking at a HK P30sk V3. They are great guns. I also like the decocker as in my CZ 75 PCR and S&W 5924.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I either carry a VP9 or Full size 1911.  I don't have a problem with either but I also don't cheap out on holsters.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#4]
is there something lacking in the g19? i'd say its the perfect ccw pistol if you like striker guns. its mine.

if you go to the vp, look at the galco owb concealable leather. i have one for my g19 and with the right body type and shirt its hidden enough for me.

i'd say if you dont mind a little printing, depending in your local PD and citizen climate, a bigger pistol is certainly not bad thing as long as you shoot it well.  some of my clothing prints my piece once in awhile but AZ is a pretty ccw freindly place and locals are use to people packing heaters.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:59:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

is there something lacking in the g19? i'd say its the perfect ccw pistol if you like striker guns. its mine.

if you go to the vp, look at the galco owb concealable leather. i have one for my g19 and with the right body type and shirt its hidden enough for me.

i'd say if you dont mind a little printing, depending in your local PD and citizen climate, a bigger pistol is certainly not bad thing as long as you shoot it well.  some of my clothing prints my piece once in awhile but AZ is a pretty ccw freindly place and locals are use to people packing heaters.
View Quote
I just really appreciate the ergos of the HK compared to Glock.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i hear ya. i just recently got an hk45 and p30. love those grips.

the g19 just conceals so well for a 15 round pistol.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:36:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I have the HK45 too. I wanted a smaller 9mm with same ergos. I think I'm going to move forward with the VP9 purchase tomorrow. When the VP9sk comes out, ill have to get it as well.

Don't forget to do a review of that extended mag you bought this weekend. I will be following up with some feedback as well when I get one, that is if yours works well. :)
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:46:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I have both. I cannot tell the difference between the two when looking in the mirror.  It is bigger than the G19, but not in any meaningful way to make a difference as a CCW piece.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:46:27 AM EDT
[#9]
A compact VP9 with identical capacity to the G19 would sell like hot cakes.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:40:27 AM EDT
[#10]
it only matters if its too big for YOU, who cares what everyone else says, i carry a full size USP on a daily basis, it fits me just just fine, is it for everyone? nope, but a full size pistol isnt that big of a deal to carry with the right holster
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Check out the P30sk.  I'm in the same boat, looking at getting a new quality ccw, and all the reviews I've read and range reports I've seen say that it's very accurate for a subcompact.  The ergos are outstanding.  I'm hoping my LGS still has a v3 in stock at the end of the week.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#12]
If you get an IWB holster I'd suggest a Comp-Tac MTAC or a Stealthgear hybrid style holster.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Good lord. I carried a HK USP 45 for years IWB and it concealed just fine. You just have to dress appropriately.

I carry the VP9 on/off duty now and it's not an issue. Hell, I carry OWB these days because Texas is fucking hot. It's really not that hard. .5" doesn't make a damn bit of difference if you have a good holster.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Good lord, the fanboys...if the 19 was perfect then I would have one but I don't  because it's not perfect so there's that.

I EDC the VP9 everyday and I live in Arizona. You dress appropriately and it dissappears. With the right holster and not the cheap crap, everything fits and it practically never prints and is very comfortable.

OP, the internet if you haven't figured it out by now, has a lot of derp and control freaks with emotional issues about people liking what they don't like. The best gun is the one you shoot and carry the best. To me that's the VP9.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#15]
As far as holsters go, I'm kind of partial to the comp-tac infidel ultra. I use that now for my Glock 19. I will probably snag one for the VP9 as well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#16]
In answer to the OP, I carry a VP9 daily IWB in a Blade-Tech Nano. No issues, I have always dressed for carry. I can easily wear a t-shirt and shorts with this setup.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good lord, the fanboys...if the 19 was perfect then I would have one but I don't  because it's not perfect so there's that.

I EDC the VP9 everyday and I live in Arizona. You dress appropriately and it dissappears. With the right holster and not the cheap crap, everything fits and it practically never prints and is very comfortable.

OP, the internet if you haven't figured it out by now, has a lot of derp and control freaks with emotional issues about people liking what they don't like. The best gun is the one you shoot and carry the best. To me that's the VP9.
View Quote

your condescending comments are unnecessary here. we're all HK fans too, glock hater
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

your condescending comments are unnecessary here. we're all HK fans too, glock hater.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

your condescending comments are unnecessary here. we're all HK fans too, glock hater.
Then why are you contradictory then if you like HK?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In answer to the OP, I carry a VP9 daily IWB in a Blade-Tech Nano. No issues, I have always dressed for carry. I can easily wear a t-shirt and shorts with this setup.
View Quote

Same here, except I use a StealthGear Onyx. Jeans with polos, shorts with t-shirts -- it's all good, as long as you're not wearing compression clothing or something else that is super form-fitting. I'm 5' 10" 180lbs, so not the biggest guy in the world.

I actually thought I'd have to switch to a M&P Shield for the summer, but it turns out the VP9 is good to go. All things being equal, having a full sized 9mm with 15 rounds in the mag beats any subcompact pistol (yeah, I know -- duh).
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not sure what ya mean there but by your own original statement, you are imposing YOUR will and opinion as fact and acting like the very same people your are railing on....just sayin.

nothing wrong with a full size carry gun and it appears HK hit a home run with the VP. i'd like to know how the trigger feels; take up, break and reset. how does it compare "feel wise" to say a glock or M&P?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

not sure what ya mean there but by your own original statement, you are imposing YOUR will and opinion as fact and acting like the very same people your are railing on....just sayin.

nothing wrong with a full size carry gun and it appears HK hit a home run with the VP. i'd like to know how the trigger feels; take up, break and reset. how does it compare "feel wise" to say a glock or M&P?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the VP9 has the second best striker fired trigger on the market, 2nd to the PPQ. However, IMO HK is far better to deal with than Walther.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's just me imposing my opinion as fact? Read your first post, then come back correctly and admit you did the very same thing you just accused me of.

As for triggers and considering that I own all three the VP9 has the best. You are more than welcome to try mine provided you bring some ammo. Steel, aluminum, brass, doesn't matter it eats them all.

To be brutally honest as far as stock goes, the glock trigger stinks and has a staple gun feel to it. The M&P feels like mush. The VP9 needs nothing, it comes as stock good to go.

I judge my sidearms by three things:

1, It has to be good to go as stock and needs no aftermarket help.

2, It has to be superior with ergonomics and being subjective to my needs.

3, It has to be in 9x19; more rounds.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#23]
It's done did. Bought the VP9.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
What are your first impressions and this thread is useless without a  pic, damn it!

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#25]
It is a big pistol. Few would probably contemplate concealed carrying a full size USP, yet the VP9 is even larger.  But, a few "racing stripes" contour cuts on the slide to make it look sleeker and people think it's smaller.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It is a big pistol. Few would probably contemplate concealed carrying a full size USP, yet the VP9 is even larger.  But, a few "racing stripes" contour cuts on the slide to make it look sleeker and people think it's smaller.
View Quote

What are you talking about...?

I EDC a VP9 just fine and prefer it over my M&P Shield for many reasons.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

X2

My Shield has been sitting in the safe more often since I found the right holster for the VP9

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

X2

My Shield has been sitting in the safe more often since I found the right holster for the VP9

<a href="http://s48.photobucket.com/user/soldado_ss/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150717_160308_zps3pp32tcg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/soldado_ss/Mobile%20Uploads/20150717_160308_zps3pp32tcg.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

<a href="http://s48.photobucket.com/user/soldado_ss/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150717_160308_zps3pp32tcg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/soldado_ss/Mobile%20Uploads/20150717_160308_zps3pp32tcg.jpg</a>
+3.

People are getting really hung up on what others are carrying and spreading their own personal opinion as if it's a fact when it isn't.

I can make the VP9 dissappear, so YMMV applies.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

What are your first impressions and this thread is useless without a  pic, damn it!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll have to sneak one when sammich maker isn't around. She's home for the weekend. Fortunately she won't be able to tell between the VP9 and my HK45. She just can't see the two together at the same time. lol

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I carried a P30 and P30L for a few years. I usually carry a full size M&P9 with a RMR mounted (even in the summer) and have no problems.

It all depends on you, how well you can hide a gun and how you carry.

Appendix carry certainly allows for bigger guns.

I work at a gun shop and half the staff here asks me if I'm carrying or not and they know where to look.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Ill have to say. The ergos on this firearm are everything I expected. Bought 3 extra mags for a total of six. Night sites... It's really a nice piece. Can't wait to make it to the range. If it functions well there, it will be my new go to handgun and self defense firearm. I'm really pleased so far.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ill have to say. The ergos on this firearm are everything I expected. Bought 3 extra mags for a total of six. Night sites... It's really a nice piece. Can't wait to make it to the range. If it functions well there, it will be my new go to handgun and self defense firearm. I'm really pleased so far.  
View Quote
I took mine to a class today, performed flawless as usual. It's my one gun, heck the only striker I know that can beat my suped up 1911 as far as accurate groups go at even 25 yards.

Just wait until you get hands on, you'll see.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I've recently begun carrying mine at times. It conceals fine even in FL summer shorts/tshirt wear. My G19 is probably slightly more concealable but my VP9 holster is better so it cancels any difference.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top