Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The VP9 is my first handgun.  I bought it earlier this year, and I love it.  It is easily more accurate than I am, though I've been practicing my shooting form.  I hate to sound like a fanboy or a shill for HK, but it is a brilliantly designed firearm, and I can't say enough good things about it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The VP9 is my first handgun.  I bought it earlier this year, and I love it.  It is easily more accurate than I am, though I've been practicing my shooting form.  I hate to sound like a fanboy or a shill for HK, but it is a brilliantly designed firearm, and I can't say enough good things about it.
View Quote
Welcome to arfcom. It's okay to say that here as its the HK sub forum in Handguns...but if you say that to the rest of the board, they'll try to lynch you for not having a shrine and praising the G19
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Glock is a 1981 design.  After 34 years, other improved concepts have been made upon their foundation, while for all practical purposes the Glock itself has remained unchanged.  To some eyes, it's a clunky/blocking design.   Others manufacturers have taking the core excellence of what a Glock is, and made better renditions with more features and better aesthetics.  There's really little reason to not purchase a more modernized flavor that the other manufactures are offering, such as the HK, but also the Walther P99, XD, etc.  

To be an ass: if you still are shooting a Glock, IMHO, you might as well drive up in one of these too :

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2010/08/10/09/30/1981_oldsmobile_cutlass_supreme-pic-2737161004176466899.jpeg

View Quote

LOL. I thought trolling in the tech forums was against the COC.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:54:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was shooting 5" groups at 100 yards standing with mine today. These pistols really are FUCKIN AMAZEBALLS.
View Quote

I'll assume this is a typo?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I got mine for $550 from Palmetto State Armory.  Join their mailing list and you'll see it pop up from time to time.

By the time you add steel sights to a Gen4 Glock, you're at VP9 pricing.  The VP9 offers different sizes of lateral grip panels, a feature the Glock doesn't even have.  VP9 is also full ambidextrous all the time, not so with Glock.  And the VP9 doesn't spit brass at the user's face.  So you're getting a bit more gun with the VP9 compared to the Glock.

Glock has HK (and just about everyone) beat in terms of aftermarket accessories though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I got mine for $550 from Palmetto State Armory.  Join their mailing list and you'll see it pop up from time to time.

Quoted:
The VP9 feels nice and sounds like its earning its reputation and will be a sound addition to your collection but the Glock 9s will do anything the VP9 will and cheaper to boot.  

Hope you find what you need.

By the time you add steel sights to a Gen4 Glock, you're at VP9 pricing.  The VP9 offers different sizes of lateral grip panels, a feature the Glock doesn't even have.  VP9 is also full ambidextrous all the time, not so with Glock.  And the VP9 doesn't spit brass at the user's face.  So you're getting a bit more gun with the VP9 compared to the Glock.

Glock has HK (and just about everyone) beat in terms of aftermarket accessories though.

Do a large number of shooters really give a damn about that though? I know I hate ambidextrous controls on my firearms.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do a large number of shooters really give a damn about that though? I know I hate ambidextrous controls on my firearms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
The VP9 feels nice and sounds like its earning its reputation and will be a sound addition to your collection but the Glock 9s will do anything the VP9 will and cheaper to boot.  

Large enough like the FBI who want that features?

Yup.

And I want it because it's very important and needed.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not even close. Glock in 9's cannot do anything the VP9 does and be anywhere cheaper to boot. and your own glock pic treads have proven that.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not even close. Glock in 9's cannot do anything the VP9 does and be anywhere cheaper to boot. and your own glock pic treads have proven that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I swore I'd never sell my Glock 19...then I bought a VP9. Despite this being arfcom heresy, I have no regrets. It is significantly more comfortable, has been more reliable (my 19 would choke on those cheap reloads, my VP9 has handled absolutely everything perfectly since day 1), and has a significantly better trigger. I still love the 19, but I'm afraid the VP9 has replaced it for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Just picked up a VP9 local from a guy on the HKPRO board.  I paid 650$, not a killer price but it came with Trijicon HDs and 3 mags.  Just shot it tonight took second place in our local ranges bowling pin shoot.  Really glad I bought it, super nice pistol, great trigger and I love the euro mag release as I own many HKs.  Will add a new family photo soon  
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I finally picked up a holster for it, as well as a third magazine and a threaded barrel so I can use it as a suppressor host.  My Christmas is going to be awesome!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Law enforcement agencies care, as they need to issue guns to righties and lefties.

For consumers, lefties probably care too.  Isn't something like 20% of the population left handed?

As an amateur competition shooter, I've had to shoot stages using my support hand.  You come to appreciate ambidextrous controls in that situation.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was shooting 5" groups at 100 yards standing with mine today. These pistols really are FUCKIN AMAZEBALLS.

Nope. Teaching our rifle school two weeks ago I hit an IDPA sized steel target at 200y.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#13]

is that a Nightingale holster?
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno. I was able to hit a steel torso at 100yds on my second shot, strong hand, a few weeks ago. And I'm BAD with one handed shooting

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#15]
How does the VP9 conceal? similarly to a G19?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Get a VP9...you'll like it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
What do you mean? Appendix? Wouldn't know, I don't carry that way. strong side IWB at the 3:30 to 4:00? Way too easily to conceal provided you have the right IWB holster and a quality belt along the lines of what Wilderness Tactical makes. Can't say on the similarity to the G19, don't like that gun at all, so with that said I never carried one to give a good reference to.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:36:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's close, but the grip definitely feels a little longer.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's noticeably larger than a 19.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#20]
But the VP9 still is easy to conceal
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The VP9 is the size of a G17. The G19 carries better than both. I do shoot the VP9 better than a G19 and can carry it easily.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The VP9 is the size of a G17. The G19 carries better than both. I do shoot the VP9 better than a G19 and can carry it easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's not much of a difference between them both in size and carrying it, hardly noticeable.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There's not much of a difference between them both in size and carrying it, hardly noticeable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Molon did a nice job of illustrating the size difference.

I conceal either just fine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Got my VP9 today from someone off of the EE.  Most comfortable pistol I've ever gripped!  Cant wait to get some rounds down range!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:22:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Picked mine up Friday!
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Just to add to the discussion the only two negatives I can say for the pistol, which really are minor issues.
I would have liked to have seen the VP9 similar in size to the G19
And the triggers can have a little " gritty" hang up , but there is a fix for that.
Again , all very minor stuff in my opinion.
View Quote

I've had a First Gen Glock 17 for over 30 years. Let's just say we are very good old friends. I took my first FrontSight 4 day handgun class last weekend (BTW not to be missed!). Two weeks before, as a precaution (ha!) I bought a VP9 as a back-up. It took less than one magazine at the range before the trip, to figure out that the G-17 is now clearly the backup! I'm still getting used to the paddle mag release (stiff spring?), but the VP9 proved very accurate when I did my part, comfortable, and flawless for all 600 rounds, and the several hundred prior. I just love my VP9. What an honest joy to shoot. I paid $575 plus tax, in person at http://grabagun.com/ near DFW airport. Extra mags were $35. The luminous sights are fine, although I'll just have to put Trijicon HD's on it. I'm just starting to play around with a DeadRinger Snake eyes ghost ring on the Glock, so if that works out (eg accuracy wise) maybe I'll go that route. Too soon to tell. The ghost ring sure is nice for my old eyes though.

My only (MINOR) concern is the trigger. I have the "gritty, hang up" take-up you mention above. Plus a little creep and then a little overtravel after the break. Here is what I observe by feel and sight while dry-firing and with a trigger pull gauge: First "stage" of pre-travel, about half of the pre-travel distance, is nice and light and smooth. Then I hit a sort of small "wall" measuring just under 2 pounds. Then after overcoming that little hangup, the second half of the pre-travel distance is again light and smooth, coming up to a crisp wall, then what feels like 1/32" of gritty creep, then the actual break, at about 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 pounds, followed by noticeable but reasonable overtravel. Reset feels a little long, and I always pick it up out at the 2 pound wall not the 5.5 pound wall. At first the reset just felt kind of mushy, until I paid closer attention to what was happening. This entire sequence repeats exactly the same every time. Before the first round I ever fired (heavy fondling ops before the first range trip), and now after about 1,000 rounds so far.

Forgive me if this description sounds too picky, just trying to describe my trigger sequence in as much detail as possible. I'm also a little spoiled by Jewel and Timney triggers in my rifles   (:

This all makes little difference for me for controlled pairs. However a more deliberate slow press to a surprise break for a precision shot, kind of leaves me with what I can only describe as what feels like sort of a three stage trigger pull(?). Kinda sorta. Something akin to improperly staging the trigger in a double-action trigger pull. I hope that makes sense. Feels a little discombobulating at times. Kinda like the run-on sentences in this paragraph.

Having had a quite satisfying experience with my "25 cent DIY trigger job" on my Glock, I thought about attempting same or similar on my VP9.  That is until reviewing the VP9 detail strip (toosixy's excellent detail strip on hkpro.com). I could break it all the way down and put it back together, but I'm uncomfortable with even the lightest dremel polishing on this weapon, since so far it looks like it would be mostly on the sear. Not to mention the intriguing formed trigger bar spring.

I'm still thinking it over, but am mostly considering either shipping it or even taking it to Bill Springfield (triggerwork.net), as he works pull weight, creep, overtravel and reset length. I would be interested in any advice on other options to consider, especially local in the Dallas area.

Downside is, with a little trigger work I'll probably never have an excuse to buy another handgun ever.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've had a First Gen Glock 17 for over 30 years. Let's just say we are very good old friends. I took my first FrontSight 4 day handgun class last weekend (BTW not to be missed!). Two weeks before, as a precaution (ha!) I bought a VP9 as a back-up. It took less than one magazine at the range before the trip, to figure out that the G-17 is now clearly the backup! I'm still getting used to the paddle mag release (stiff spring?), but the VP9 proved very accurate when I did my part, comfortable, and flawless for all 600 rounds, and the several hundred prior. I just love my VP9. What an honest joy to shoot. I paid $575 plus tax, in person at http://grabagun.com/ near DFW airport. Extra mags were $35. The luminous sights are fine, although I'll just have to put Trijicon HD's on it. I'm just starting to play around with a DeadRinger Snake eyes ghost ring on the Glock, so if that works out (eg accuracy wise) maybe I'll go that route. Too soon to tell. The ghost ring sure is nice for my old eyes though.

My only (MINOR) concern is the trigger. I have the "gritty, hang up" take-up you mention above. Plus a little creep and then a little overtravel after the break. Here is what I observe by feel and sight while dry-firing and with a trigger pull gauge: First "stage" of pre-travel, about half of the pre-travel distance, is nice and light and smooth. Then I hit a sort of small "wall" measuring just under 2 pounds. Then after overcoming that little hangup, the second half of the pre-travel distance is again light and smooth, coming up to a crisp wall, then what feels like 1/32" of gritty creep, then the actual break, at about 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 pounds, followed by noticeable but reasonable overtravel. Reset feels a little long, and I always pick it up out at the 2 pound wall not the 5.5 pound wall. At first the reset just felt kind of mushy, until I paid closer attention to what was happening. This entire sequence repeats exactly the same every time. Before the first round I ever fired (heavy fondling ops before the first range trip), and now after about 1,000 rounds so far.

Forgive me if this description sounds too picky, just trying to describe my trigger sequence in as much detail as possible. I'm also a little spoiled by Jewel and Timney triggers in my rifles   (:

This all makes little difference for me for controlled pairs. However a more deliberate slow press to a surprise break for a precision shot, kind of leaves me with what I can only describe as what feels like sort of a three stage trigger pull(?). Kinda sorta. Something akin to improperly staging the trigger in a double-action trigger pull. I hope that makes sense. Feels a little discombobulating at times. Kinda like the run-on sentences in this paragraph.

Having had a quite satisfying experience with my "25 cent DIY trigger job" on my Glock, I thought about attempting same or similar on my VP9.  That is until reviewing the VP9 detail strip (toosixy's excellent detail strip on hkpro.com). I could break it all the way down and put it back together, but I'm uncomfortable with even the lightest dremel polishing on this weapon, since so far it looks like it would be mostly on the sear. Not to mention the intriguing formed trigger bar spring.

I'm still thinking it over, but am mostly considering either shipping it or even taking it to Bill Springfield (triggerwork.net), as he works pull weight, creep, overtravel and reset length. I would be interested in any advice on other options to consider, especially local in the Dallas area.

Downside is, with a little trigger work I'll probably never have an excuse to buy another handgun ever.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to add to the discussion the only two negatives I can say for the pistol, which really are minor issues.

I would have liked to have seen the VP9 similar in size to the G19

And the triggers can have a little " gritty" hang up , but there is a fix for that.

Again , all very minor stuff in my opinion.

Nice honest review. Thanks for sharing.

And you say that now, just wait until IF the VP45 comes out
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

FYI that is not the normal feel for the trigger. I suspect the big spring under the trigger bar may be out of place. I'd look at the internals and see if anything is obvious, and if not I'd call HK.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I shot my VP9 on Saturday in it's first local IDPA match.  I had about 150 rounds through it before then and it has about 250 through it now.  It ran like a top and I took 12th place overall out of 52, so I'm not complaining at all.  I really do love this gun more and more each time I shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Picking up a VP9 LE with Holster tomorrow... can't wait!
plus for $500 I had a hard time not pulling the trigger on it
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:13:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've just picked mine up this week and noticed this. Although it seems to be smoothing out a little. What's the fix? It seems to be an issue with the trigger bar rubbing against the disconnector possibly. Like I said as I kept cycling the pistol and working the trigger and it started to smooth out. I would imagine after a few mags that it would go away.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I just picked mine up from the ffl yesterday.so I cant wait till this weekend and see how it shoots.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Finally picked mine up today.

Wife is already trying to claim it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's mine.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here's mine. <a href="http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/SinjinSix/media/0424160911-1-11_zpspqnrbtbp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s659/SinjinSix/0424160911-1-11_zpspqnrbtbp.jpg</a>

View Quote

Oh come on man. What the hell is that and where did it come from?
ETA: nm I see your other thread
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Don’t get it wet ...

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Don’t get it wet ...

https://youtu.be/vOu5ZGfgtVk
View Quote
You mean like this? Because this video proves that it still works wet

MAC's video proved nothing. This has been discussed to death already. He had a lemon, no company is immune to lemons from time to time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Oh no Glock fail, get rid of them quick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4A_TbpHU1c

The only consistent about mud tests is that they're inconsistent. If you could find a repeatable and controlled laboratory standard for mud there may be some validity. For you and me keep your dick out of the dirt and clean your gun if it takes a dunk in a dirty hole.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Oh no Glock fail, get rid of them quick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4A_TbpHU1c

The only consistent about mud tests is that they're inconsistent. If you could find a repeatable and controlled laboratory standard for mud there may be some validity. For you and me keep your dick out of the dirt and clean your gun if it takes a dunk in a dirty hole.
View Quote
Isolated incident. He was limp wristing it. It was the ammo. It was the mags. Anything but precious is at fault. That's what I'm waiting to hear.

Excellent video by the way, I'll keep it for reference the next time someone tries to drop another nugget.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Had an issue Tuesday with a dead trigger if I was riding the reset.  Turns out I hadn't reassemble my VP9 correctly.  The braided cable spring was not flush inside the frame cut-out and was dislodged from it's recess when I changed magazines.  Not the guns fault at all.  I had taken this gun down to see how it was different and I didn't reassemble it correctly.  Spring was undamaged, thankfully.

tl;dr
Pay attention.  Watch the cable/spring.  The end must be in the hole and the curves fitted into the cut-out in the frame.  I disassembled the pistol and corrected MY error yesterday and the gun is like new again.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top