Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2015 8:40:03 AM EDT
I fondled a P30 several years ago and I have wanted one ever since.  Part of me wants one because it's a great looking pistol.  Other part of me wants it because it's an expensive HK.  Stupid reason, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that makes my brain think I'm buying top of the line.

It fit me hand perfectly.  Seemed to point well.  And I've never owned a hammer fired pistol, or one with a decocker.  I'm genuinely interested in one.

I've been seeing all the rage for the VP9, but honestly I have zero interest in the VP9.  

I've got a PPQ and I feel I've got that base covered.

Do people hate the P30 trigger that badly?  I kinda liked it, although I only played with one in the store.

What gives?  All I see talked about is the USP series, and the VP9.  Is the P30 the stepchild of the family?  I have zero experience with HK.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I fondled a P30 several years ago and I have wanted one ever since.  Part of me wants one because it's a great looking pistol.  Other part of me wants it because it's an expensive HK.  Stupid reason, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that makes my brain think I'm buying top of the line.

It fit me hand perfectly.  Seemed to point well.  And I've never owned a hammer fired pistol, or one with a decocker.  I'm genuinely interested in one.

I've been seeing all the rage for the VP9, but honestly I have zero interest in the VP9.  

I've got a PPQ and I feel I've got that base covered.

Do people hate the P30 trigger that badly?  I kinda liked it, although I only played with one in the store.

What gives?  All I see talked about is the USP series, and the VP9.  Is the P30 the stepchild of the family?  I have zero experience with HK.  Thanks!
View Quote

I wouldn't call you crazy, but I think the utility of the P30 is a lot lower now after the VP9 came out, in that it kind of occupies a spot where not a lot of people find themselves ending up.  It is expensive, much more so than a VP9, and at a time when striker fired pistols are trending.  It's also kind of on the big side, so that's 3 strikes against it right there, if you really want to call them strikes.  VP9 really only has one of those strikes (kind of big, but on the plus side cheap and striker fired). USP compacts are kind of expensive too, but it's smaller and  you get more trigger variants, and the LEM trigger is far and away the best on the USP series, so now the drawback on that one is just that it's kind of expensive and it's hammer fired, but it's a better hammer fired with the LEM, which will be about as close as you can get to striker fired with a hammer fired gun.  So I suppose that's why you see the P30 as the stepchild, with the P2000 coming in a close second.  I like HK pistols a lot, but I really can't see myself buying another one after the USP compact and VP9 I have now, unless they come out with a VP9 compact model.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you "crazy" for wanting one of the finest 9mm pistols ever made?

What am I missing here?

I went with a VP9 after vetting both.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I could've worded post better I suppose.  It just seems like the P30 has really taken a hit since the VP9 came out.  That's why I was asking was I "crazy", for not jumping on the VP.

And I totally understand the VP9 love.  I've had numerous polymer striker pistols and when I got my PPQ I was blown away by the ergonomics and excellent trigger.  It makes everything else I've had prior feel like cheap junk.  And as I understand it the VP9 has an excellent trigger and exceptional ergonomics as well.  Maybe it's just me, but when I look at the PPQ and VP9 they look like first cousins to me.

I think I need a P30.

Can you guys give me a quick rundown on the trigger variants and why one or the other is desirable?  There seem to be several flavors.  Not sure I understand the differences.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#4]
V1= lite lem (I carry a p30l in .40 with this variant 40+ hours a week and love it)
V2= standard lem
V3= sa/da
There are others that are mostly combinations of different springs to fine tune the pull weight, but as far as I know, the 3 I listed are the only factory variants.

Be advised, the variant listing is completely different than those of other HK pistols (for example, my USP 45 is an lem, but it is a V7).
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#5]
My mil buddy has a P30. He says nothing else fits his small (read asian) hands.

he loves it, he only owns that and a glock 17 (shoots/carries the p30)

so no, not crazy...not unless you start a collection of P30s
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I could've worded post better I suppose.  It just seems like the P30 has really taken a hit since the VP9 came out.  That's why I was asking was I "crazy", for not jumping on the VP.

And I totally understand the VP9 love.  I've had numerous polymer striker pistols and when I got my PPQ I was blown away by the ergonomics and excellent trigger.  It makes everything else I've had prior feel like cheap junk.  And as I understand it the VP9 has an excellent trigger and exceptional ergonomics as well.  Maybe it's just me, but when I look at the PPQ and VP9 they look like first cousins to me.

I think I need a P30.

Can you guys give me a quick rundown on the trigger variants and why one or the other is desirable?  There seem to be several flavors.  Not sure I understand the differences.
View Quote

I probably wouldn't buy a VP9 either if I already had a PPQ, especially if it were a M1 variant.  Here's a quick chart:

P30, P2000, P2000sk triggers

My personal opinion is that HK triggers went downhill after the USP series, especially on the LEM.  On the USP compact, it's nice and short.  On the P2000, it resets farther out.  On the P30, it resets even farther out.  To me, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze with any HK hammer fired pistol after the USPs.  If I were you, and I really wanted an HK hammer fired pistol, I'd go with one with a light LEM trigger, that will give you the same trigger pull every time like you have with striker fired pistols, but without the drawbacks of the standard DAO triggers.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#7]
It was love at first sight with the P30L.

I bought a VP9 instead however, because wallet.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I use a p30s v3 for idpa and so does one of my buddies. I love the gun! I wanted the model with safety because I was used to shooting 1911s and I like carrying cocked n locked.  Yeah the trigger takes a little getting used to but I don't mind it at all. It's very accurate and is the softest shooting 9mm I have ever shot.  Get one you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a p30L. Bought a vp9 recently. Sold the p30L.

Didn't see a need to have both and I prefer the vp9.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have two P30s V3 (both are SA/DA w/safety).  I went with the safety version since my other favorite pistol is a 1911.  I rented a VP9 when they came out and found I wasn't near as accurate with it as my P30.  Would accuracy come with time?......likely, but I prefer my P30's.  You really can't go wrong with either......just pick whichever one has the features you want.

ETA: I think CDNN has them for $750 right now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I like my P30 V1 just fine.  Took advantage of the rebate last year and picked one up.  I was honestly planning on getting a VP9 early this year, but when H&K did the rebate, I went for the P30 instead.  Glad I did.  No regrets.  Might still add a VP9 in the future, but not anytime soon.  Other things are on my list above it (I'm a Sig-first guy, for full disclosure).
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#12]
P30S is my favorite handgun/carry.  I prefer it to my VP9.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a .40 cal P30 I might be interested in parting ways with. Love it, but I'd like to switch to a 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had my P30 for more than five years.  Daily carry IWB kydex/leather holster.  Used it in IDPA.  Sent it to Grayguns a couple of years ago for their Reduced Reset Carry Package.  Nothing but reliable and I don't regret the money I have in it at all.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Not everyone wants the lightest trigger for a game gun.

P30/L is an great pistol.  IMO, preferable to the VP9..
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Im in the same boat with you, I have a love for the P30L myself.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I haven't fired a P30 yet, but they feel like they'll be shooting a laser beam when I hold them in the hand. No other pistol has come close to feeling as natural as a P30 when I hold it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I haven't fired a P30 yet, but they feel like they'll be shooting a laser beam when I hold them in the hand. No other pistol has come close to feeling as natural as a P30 when I hold it.
View Quote
That they do, but the trigger takes a bit of warming up to.  Shame they couldn't have gotten it closer to the USP's DA/SA or had a match trigger pack.  The SA isn't bad.  Just a really long reset and a really really long DA.

G/F wants a P30S....so now I will have two P30's.  Currently saving for my P30SK (V3) and P30L.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I used to hate on H&K's DA/SA triggers until I started running a V3 P2000.  The trigger is fine, I honestly have not even noticed it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Not at all. I just bought a p2000sk after wanting one for over 10 years.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 3:51:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That they do, but the trigger takes a bit of warming up to.  Shame they couldn't have gotten it closer to the USP's DA/SA or had a match trigger pack.  The SA isn't bad.  Just a really long reset and a really really long DA.  

G/F wants a P30S....so now I will have two P30's.  Currently saving for my P30SK (V3) and P30L.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

P30S/LS is probably the best cocked and locked platform on the planet.  I have a brand new P30LS that I bought as a backup but never used, should probably list it.

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I am happy with the two that I have, one is a V1 LEM and the other a V2, both in 9mm.

The V2 LEM gets most of the use, has over 15K rounds through it, and the only issue has been a broken trigger return spring which cost $7 and took less than 5 minutes to replace.  Very accurate and comfortable to carry.

I think the LEM is the best version of a DAO trigger ever devised.

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#23]
This board has more than answered my question.  I was actually worried that something must be inherently "inferior" to the other HK offerings as the P30 doesn't seem to generate the buzz some of the other models do.  

But apparently the P30 fans are a solid group, and the P30 is a solid pistol.  I shall own one in the not too distant future, as I have too many irons in the fire at this exact moment.

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#24]
There is no such thing as too many guns...just too many guns to carry
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Crazy? No. Easily the most comfortable handgun ever made with the modulatory of the grip. I bought my P30L back when they first came out. I also bought a VP9 when they first came out. The VP9 didn’t last long in my safe; I prefer the P30. I bought a 40 cal as well. Both are LLEM.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I love everything about the P30 except the trigger. It is the worst trigger I've ever seen on a DA/SA pistol by far. I'm keeping my P30L in hopes someone will come up with a viable solution.

ETA: All HK handgun triggers suck with the exception of the VP9 which is too bad because they are very reliable guns.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top