Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2015 9:33:25 AM EDT
I just sold a couple guns (I know...) so I have some extra gun money and I have an itch to buy a new one. I'm considering an FAL kit, as I don't have a .308 anymore. But I keep getting the feeling I want another pistol...I really want a Glock 34 Gen 4 but then I look at my dwindling HK collection, down from its glory to a USP45 Tactical, HK45C (HKPRO group buy gun), and a UMP45 clone SBR and think I want another HK pistol. I've wanted a USP9 for a while but I keep hearing so much good about the VP9. Not super excited about the looks, but is it really THAT good of a pistol? Or should I just go with the USP9 or maybe another P30? Do you guys like your VP9 that much?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one range session with one.  Grip is awesome, trigger is awesome, boringly accurate, however I seem to be about 30% on getting the slide to lock back on empty mag.  Google search suggests that it is my grip interacting with slide lock.  Sucks having to change your grip technique.  I'm going to keep at it, but not sure.

One other thing- the slides on my USP pistols are smooth and uniform.  The slides on my P30LS (the infamous "oops" gun),  45ct (sold it), and to a much higher degree, the VP9, look like they were machined by 7 year olds.  Many parallel machining lines running down the slide, and they look really bad on the diagonal raised "grip" areas- whereas the USP pistols' slides are all smooth.   Not a performance issue,  and for a $600 HK, I can overlook it, (not so much on the p30 and '45ct) but S&W, Glock, etc can make a "cheap" gun with " finished" machining, HK should be able to do so as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:28:59 AM EDT
[#2]
My honest review.

I'm a SIG guy. Way back when my brother got a USP, I couldn't wait to shoot it. A famed HK. I was left totally unimpressed. The grip was alright, better than the Glocks at the time. The trigger was so-so.  Mag release was odd to me. It shot just fine, but didn't exude quality like my SIG. Fast forward a decade or so and I picked up a trade-in P7 before they became all the rage. Unique design, odd operation and ergos, mushy trigger. Still I like it because it's different.

The VP9 comes out and it's what I've always wanted for a polymer striker. Changeable panels for my big hands, some finger groove action. Every video I watch it seems to have no muzzle rise. The only thing I didn't like was the mag release. My LGS finally got one in and I handled it. First nice factory trigger I'd experienced in an HK, or any striker for that matter. And I didn't have too much problem getting the mag paddle with my thumb, so I bided my time and got one for a good price on GB. Dry fired the crap out of it and practiced mag changes. Was so excited to finally shoot it, but I couldn't put more than 1 round out of a mags worth inside the 9 ring at 15 yards. No grouping either. I literally circled the black. Shooting at speed, I couldn't even do a proper double tap. I just couldn't reacquire the sights fast enough. It doesn't recoil vertically for me, it wiggles/yaws. I've put in more practice and gotten better with slow fire, but still struggle with faster shooting. The mag paddle also stuck up from the trigger guard and would poke my finger everytime the trigger broke. HK CS took care of me and sent me some replacement parts. It's still not quite flush, but doesn't usually catch my finger anymore.

Recently, I stumbled on a heckuva deal on a PPQ M2 and unexcitedly bought it. Took it out for the first time and shot it the way I was hoping I'd shoot the VP9. It just came so naturally, where I'm still working on my interface with the VP9. I have had some ammo issues with the PPQ (bulged cases on what used to be trusted reloads jamming the slide just out of battery, then hitting a bad batch of underpowered factory ammo causing two stovepipes and one almost squib). Even though I know it's ammo related, I still don't trust the PPQ yet. I still do better with it than the VP9 and is the first time I felt my EDC might not be a SIG forever.

I want to love the VP9, but she's playing hard to get. But then, everything with firearms is subjective. What isn't working for me yet, works like magic for someone else. So do you really need one?  Dunno, but I think you really need to try one. Hopefully it's a good match for you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I like my USP45.  I love my VP9, and am contemplating buying a second one (since my wife claimed the first ).

My USP45 was a police trade, and therefore affordable.  The VP9LE is affordable.  A new USP9, to me, would be difficult to justify, as would a P30L (the only P30 I want) since the VP9 is such a great pistol for the price.  I just cannot logically get behind buying another, different HK 9mm.

That being said, if I ran across a USP9 for a good price, I'd jump on it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Well it seems I can find used/LE trade-in USP9s for a decent price in my area usually, but it would be nice to get a brand new pistol again. It seems like I hear a LOT of good about the VP9 but then there are some people it just plain doesn't work for. Eh...I may pull the trigger on one and see if I like it, but I need to get up to a gun shop that has one first and handle it. I DO know I REALLY like the G34 Gen 4 but it is...another Glock (I EDC a G19).

Dunno. Have to handle the VP9 first.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 600 flawless rounds through mine. Don't really care for the factory 3 dot sights I haven't replaced yet.

I'd try and shoot one first. My friend (glock guy) didn't like it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my VP9, and it quickly took over as my night stand gun.

However, I don't really think it's better than my P30.  In fact, I think the P30 is a little nicer, but it's also a lot more expensive.  The shoot very similarly on the range, and while the consistency of the striker trigger on the VP9 is great, I don't think it's a huge step up from the P30 or anything.

I doubt I'll get rid of it, but I'd kind of like to get a P30L someday, and probably use that for night stand duty.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Just ordered one up and I am pretty excited to give it a shot.

Now that ALS holsters are available for it, I'm potentially looking to use it as a duty weapon as well.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends if you have a walther ppq dont get the vp9. Walther trigger is better.

If you have a glock or other hk except the p7m13. Get it. Vp 9 has an excellent trigger
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends if you have a walther ppq dont get the vp9. Walther trigger is better.

If you have a glock or other hk except the p7m13. Get it. Vp 9 has an excellent trigger
View Quote

The consensus does seem to be that the PPQ has a better trigger. I think the vp9 feels much better in hand, though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Now that ALS holsters are available for it, I'm potentially looking to use it as a duty weapon as well.
View Quote
,I thought the ALs were still a little ways out, after the PSA debacle thread?

Links?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Links?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Links?

All I did was a quick google and found a different forum (probably HKpro) where someone just recently posted that they ordered an ALS/Light VP9 holster, but had to call safariland since it wasn't on their site yet.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I like striker fired guns, Glock is my favorite and when I first seen the VP9 I wanted one. Waited a little and then I picked one up about a month ago, love it, it's a great gun. Then just last week I bought a second one because I like to have at least two of every gun I really like, and the VP9 falls into that category..

Get one, you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
All I did was a quick google and found a different forum (probably HKpro) where someone just recently posted that they ordered an ALS/Light VP9 holster, but had to call safariland since it wasn't on their site yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Links?

I called Safariland early in the week and ordered a VP9 no light ALS with paddle.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I like my VP9, and it quickly took over as my night stand gun.

However, I don't really think it's better than my P30.  In fact, I think the P30 is a little nicer, but it's also a lot more expensive.  The shoot very similarly on the range, and while the consistency of the striker trigger on the VP9 is great, I don't think it's a huge step up from the P30 or anything.

I doubt I'll get rid of it, but I'd kind of like to get a P30L someday, and probably use that for night stand duty.
View Quote
Same here. I was using my P30 as the nightstand gun and switched to the VP9 LE for that role instead. I shoot it very well, but Id have to agree the P30 still feels a little nicer, but it should because it costs more. I think the striker makes for a better HD gun though because of the constant trigger, and the charging handles are great for the wife.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Glock 43, 17, 19, and 34.  All Gen 4.  My VP9 is my favorite striker pistol. The G34 is second in line.  The VP9 ergos are way better than my Glocks and I shoot it almost as fast as the G34.  The only negative to the HK is the mags are kind of hard to get right now.  I have 8 though so I am OK...
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Needs a compact variant.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Needs a compact variant.

Seriously.
View Quote

The problem with a compact--at least for the purposes of concealment--is that it still be very thick compared to Glock, M&P, etc.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Sooo I went to a couple LGS's today. I was looking to buy either a G34.4 or a VP9. Only one shop had a VP9 so I handled it, dry fired it, looked it all over. It was pretty nice but I wasn't overwhelmingly impressed, honestly. Seemed a LOT like the P30 I had (of course). I may pick one up one day, but I may get a G34 first. Sadly, that shop wanted $710(!!!) for their VP9, not even the LE model. They also wanted around $700+ for their G34 and had no Blue Labels in stock. The next place I went to wanted $730 for their G34. Tried to haggle with the guy, he said "I paid $561 for it..." yeah right...Gun shops don't pay retail price, chief. He then didn't believe that I could find one online for ~$550, even after showing him an FDE one on GB, brand new in box, for $550 + shipping. Acted like I was an idiot and the internet didn't exist. Ugh. Anyways, I may pick up a VP9 eventually but it wasn't as mind-blowing as I had heard. Shooting it may be a different story, but I'll have to wait til I run across one at the range.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Best 9mm I've ever owned.

9mm's:

SIG

HK

FN

Glock

Walther

The VP9 is damn near perfect IMO.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I have about 700 rds through mine and no issues as of yet.

The trigger is better than a Glocks by far , but if you put a little side pressure on it , it has a tendency to rub or hang up. Im sure this will smooth out in time.

The mag release is the biggest issue for me right now as I was a Glock and Sig guy and moving the mag release will take some practice for that muscle memory.

The grip is great for my medium to small hands and the nights sights are ok for use.

It does not shoot better than my SIG228 , but it does shoot better than my Glock 19 and 23 or my BHP.

I will more than likely move it to my EDC , but I have to find a holster I like before I do that. And I agree I wish it was just a bit smaller overall in size and feel.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#21]
If you have a P30 then I don't think there's a compelling reason to get a VP9.  I have 2 USP's, and they are my "End of Days" guns, but I can just shoot the VP9 better.  It fits my hand better (small left panel, med. back and large right panel) and the recoil seems to go straight back, whereas the USP's have a large degree of lateral twist as well as some muzzle flip.  They both have Trijicon Bright N Tough sights, but the VP9 I can get away with a half hold, whereas the USP's require a full coverage sight picture (which I hate!)  Mags are still kind of hard to find.  

Glock 34?  Good choice I guess.  I respect Glocks, but I don't think I'll ever buy one.  They just seem... souless to me.  They don't inspire any sort of reaction; it's just a tool like a shovel or ratchet.

"A Glock is what you show your friends, an HK is what you show your enemies!"

"If Glock is perfection, then why are there so many accessories for it?"
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Best striker out there, hell I'm going to say it too; best polymer out there as well. I call it trusty junior because it never fails like it's big brother, the USP which never failed either.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top