Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2015 8:39:50 PM EDT
I was messing with my VP9 yesterday, and I noticed that I could feel the polymer flex a little bit at the finger grooves when I applied  pressure at my finger tips. I decided to look into this, so I held it up to the light and looked inside the magwell. You can actually see some light penetrating the finger grooves.

Is this a cause for concern, or is the polymer more than adequate? I would hate for it to break one day either under stress or just because it become brittle  over the years.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
No dumbasses that I know of has broke one yet, lol.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:02:32 AM EDT
[#2]
The slides that come with it front and left/right in s/m/l especially the side straps they are on a very very tight plastic rail when you push them on. I noticed the first time I went to the small set it took me 2 or 3 times before they were actually seated correctly. It looked like it was set right, but I could tell there was some gap, just take them off and you will see how tight the tolerance is on the rail.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I discovered the thin areas as well up front around the finger grooves. Not because of flex, but I saw sunlight coming through. I am not cool with it, and frankly if I had seen it before buying would not have. I feel like if I drop the gun and it catches a rock in the right place it is punching through.

As it is, I ignore it and hammer away. If someday I crack the grip in the 6 thin areas so be it. I do see it as a design flaw and cause for concern.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]
So even though something works as advertised, has never been a case of breakages or premature wear but you think it should be different, it's a design flaw?     Lol. I bet you have a tough time in life every day.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So even though something works as advertised, has never been a case of breakages or premature wear but you think it should be different, it's a design flaw?     Lol. I bet you have a tough time in life every day.
View Quote
My manual says lifetime warranty, and I have no clue where you would see light coming in near the front finger straps because that is not a mold point or at least I don't see it.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
There are no cracks, it is just really really thin material.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I discovered the thin areas as well up front around the finger grooves. Not because of flex, but I saw sunlight coming through. I am not cool with it, and frankly if I had seen it before buying would not have. I feel like if I drop the gun and it catches a rock in the right place it is punching through.

As it is, I ignore it and hammer away. If someday I crack the grip in the 6 thin areas so be it. I do see it as a design flaw and cause for concern.

View Quote

It bothers me as well, but that doesn't mean it's any less durable than any other polymer pistol. It seems to me that there are a variety of polymers, so it might still be durable and hell. So far I haven't heard of it breaking, and I assume there would be some stories on the internet if this was the case.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know if the p30 is the same way?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone know if the p30 is the same way?
View Quote

Yes, the 91k-round P30 grip is the same.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#10]
So if I plan on exceeding 91k, I should be concerned. I better start reloading 9.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Never noticed any frame flex or give before reading this thread.  After checking my vp9 sure enough I saw the aforementioned 6 thin points of light.  I dont have a p30 but I checked my hk45 and it doesn't have it. I'm not to worried about it unless I hear some issues arising in the future.  Mine doesn't have a very high round count probably> 400rounds of ball and mixed defensive ammo from federal 124g hst, Remington 124g golden sabre and speer 124g gold dot+p I'll probably never experience any problems with mine, because it's not a hard use gun or in my everyday carry rotation and pretty much just serves as my bump in the night gun
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top