Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 3/1/2015 2:16:25 PM EDT
I noticed that a groove seems to be developing on my VP9 mags. I don't know what is causing this. Is this normal? What do yours look like?

ETA: Based on some research I did online, it seems to be pretty common. It's just kind of unusual, because I don't recall a groove developing on Glock or M&P mags.

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
That is normal.  My P30, USP45 generally have marks like that,
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, totally normal. You should see my XDM mags. It only takes a msg or two to do it as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Totally normal, and just so you are aware it's not the firearm itself, but the casings of the ammunition and the design of the follower.  Handgun casings are headspaced in the chamber off the cartridge lip/mouth.  It's hard to explain, and a pic is worth a thousand words so here are two pics, the first is a very detailed drawing of a .45acp cartridge in a chamber.  You can notice the cartridge has an extremely sharp mouth that is being used to actually determine the headspace.  The second picture is a higher level picture showing a general handgun cartridge and how headspace is measured.  Because of this you have a sharp lip on the case scraping against a plastic follower that is ramped to angle the cartridge for feeding.  As such the sharp metal lip scrapes the plastic follower smooth until all raised areas are removed (sort of like having your follower hand planed in wood working terms).  There is nothing wrong with this unless you are shooting with reloads that are of poor quality and are chewing your followers up.

Nothing to do with the gun.  Totally dependent on cartridge follower interaction.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]
My P30 and USP45 does this as well.  I noticed it around 3-400 rounds in.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine look the same.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top