Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2015 6:03:06 AM EDT
I just used one of my two discount HK's this year and now I need another (first one was a USP9 Tactical as I've been lusting after a 9-SD for years). But the rub is I can only get one at the discount price. Which should I get and why?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#1]
P30 trigger is meeeeeeeh. VP9, trigger is awesome. If I had the choice with a free gun and I could only choose between the two, I'd rather have another VP9 than the P30.

That's my opinion at least from personal experience.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#2]
If you like your tactical trigger, the p30 will grate on you. The VP9 is a good pistol with nice trigger.

I went through a similar process. I have usp9 tactical and usp45 tactical. I wanted to get hk45 tactical and matching in 9 (p30) after holding and messing with a p30 several times I decided I would never own a p30 but love the hk45 tactical. Given your options I wouldn't get a p30,  having shot a VP9 I think it's by far a superior choice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I like my P30 V1.

I was going to buy a VP9, then darn H&K came out with that year-end rebate program.  Blew my plans to hell.  

I like the P30.  The one time I shot the VP9, I liked it, too.  Very much so.

It all depends on whether you prefer striker fired or hammer fired, and then if hammer, which style (i.e., DA/SA?).

It's HK.  You won't go wrong.

But one question - why a safety?  That may come back to your choice of hammer fired options, I guess.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the P30 Da/sa. Bought it before the vp9 was available. If I had to do it over again I would get the VP9 cheaper and has a nicer trigger.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I, too, would choose the VP9.  (It's just, 'a better Glock'!)  
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I've handled the P30S and tried the trigger. While not stellar it wasnt unbearable. The grip however was perfect, which is why I narrowed down my choices to it and the VP9. As for why I want the safety model if i got a p30, well I just prefer my DA/SA guns to have a safety if that option is available. I havent gotten the chance to actually handle the VP9 yet but I've heard good things and at 532 with NS and 3 mags before taxes it's definitely appealing. Ultimately I'd like to do the ARFCOM thing and get both, but it's not realistic this year.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy the VP9.  You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I just sold my p30 LS safety LEM no decocker to buy a VP9 with no safety.

So get the VP9
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Never shot the p30, but I have nothing but good things to say about the VP9. I've gone through Glocks and M&Ps, and the VP9 is perfect for *me*. Glock 9s have BTF issues and M&P 9s have bad accuracy past 15 yards (early unlocking). The VP9 just feels great in the hand and has and excellent trigger. The ONLY 2 problems I have with it is that (1) it should hold 17 rounds because it's the same size as the G17, and (2) magazine availability--this is HUGE. WTF H&K, make more mags!

I digress. It really depends if you like the DA/SA of p30 or striker fire. I don't like DA/SA--that's probably because I'm more used to striker fire.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I sold my P30, but my VP9 is awesome. It's easily the best trigger I've tried on any HK.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd rather have another VP9 than the P30.

That's my opinion at least from personal experience.
View Quote

This. ^^^
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've handled the P30S and tried the trigger. While not stellar it wasnt unbearable. The grip however was perfect, which is why I narrowed down my choices to it and the VP9. As for why I want the safety model if i got a p30, well I just prefer my DA/SA guns to have a safety if that option is available. I havent gotten the chance to actually handle the VP9 yet but I've heard good things and at 532 with NS and 3 mags before taxes it's definitely appealing. Ultimately I'd like to do the ARFCOM thing and get both, but it's not realistic this year.
View Quote

Spend some time with the P30S before you buy one. I had a v3 with safety to carry C&L. The SA trigger was meh, the safety was downright painful. It gave me blisters of the course of a 200+ round range session.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I owned and carried my p30 v3 (testing with different hammer springs) as my primary gun of choice. It felt great and was reliable but the trigger wasn't too good imo. I swore after I bought it that I'd only sell it for a striker fire version built on the same frame. Luckily H&K did just that and I sold it and picked up a vp9. I'Ve shot 300rds through my vp9 and the consistency of trigger pull has markedly increased my efficiency and accuracy.... And it's only going to get faster. The grip on the vp9 is slightly different than the p30 frame but it feels better to me than the p30 which I previously didn't think www possible

I have zero regrets selling my p30 for a vp9.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I sold my P30 and bought a VP9
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Regular VP9s can be had in the $530-550 range street price.  A little over $600 for the LE version.  I imagine you'll get a better deal using your discount for the P30S.  If you're looking strictly at the money, the P30S may be the way to go since the gap is so small between street pricing and your discount pricing on the VP9.  Check your pricing on it first through.  

That said, money isn't everything.  Buy the one you want the most and that fits your shooting style the best.  I own a P30 V3 that I picked up during the HK Days rebate period last year.  It was always on my list and the price couldn't be beat.  I will pick a VP9 soon.  I want both, so the price and the rebate at the time of purchase really were the deciding factor for me regarding which to get first.  If that's the case for you, buy the best deal to maximize the discount.  If you're only buying one and won't ever buy the other, buy what fits your preference regardless of the price or discount.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I still have a p30 in 40 cal--it's my favorite 40 pistol ever, so don't think you'll have less of a gun if you get a good deal on one and go that route.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a P30L, I dumped it for the VP9 when it hit the streets. It has a better grip, better trigger, lower price, what's not to love? I haven't thought about the P30L until now, it would be cool if they eventually offer a long slide version of the VP9. Get the VP9 and don't look back.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm in the process of choosing a P30L 9mm but I am stuck on stupid with which version.

Not a striker fan per say but I have a glock.

Just wanted something with a great trigger.

My SIG SRT 226 tuned is nicely done and I consider it a great trigger along with my Beretta m9 with a d spring and Bill Springfield trigger job.

I do want a da/sa or whatever but I played with a P30 but don't know which version, that trigger was amazing, the reset was seriously short and reminded me of a Sig 320.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#19]
VP9
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I just bought a VP9 and love it, i was ringing a steel plate reliably at 85 - 90yrds with in moments of picking up it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#21]
All this damn VP9 talk lately is killing me. GD has had several threads.

Now I am thinking of getting one, held one with night sights and 3 mags, $679 not too far off from internet prices and no shipping etc.

But why is a P30 so much more money?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Now I am thinking of getting one, held one with night sights and 3 mags, $679 not too far off from internet prices and no shipping etc.

View Quote

It wasn't 2 months ago when they were offering the rebate.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good timing on my part, yet again.

How much did I miss out on
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$200

It made my P30 cost me a few dollars over $600.  

http://www.galleryofguns.com/ConsumerPromo/Images/PromoImages/hk.pdf
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 1:08:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

VP9 is striker fired. Cheaper to build.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Friday the 13th, I lost all will power and bought the VP9. Then came home and shot a mag in the front yard, I have 19 acres. Sweet shooting gun, now I need to go to the range or woods and do lots of shooting.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#28]
7y ago I bought a v3 P30 the moment they were available on the market.  Liked the gun, but sold it after a year.  For the following year I searched through all kinds of pistols looking for a replacement, but never found one I liked.  I did settle on a Glock for a bit but I still didn't really become enamored with it.  Once I was able to find a v1 P30 I sold the Glock and got that pistol, 5y ago.  THAT was the fix I needed (the LEM), my perfect sidearm.  I even bought a p2000 v2 and p2000sk v2 too (but sold them as I found the p2000 offered no benefits over the p30, and the sk was just never used).  

Fast forward 5y and my v1 P30 has been officially retired.  I now own/carry a VP9 and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Some VP9 range time love!

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#30]
LOVE MINE
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I decided to buck the trend and go P30S. Still like the VP9 and I will pick one up at some point especially given the mag compatibility, but for the time being the P30S with night sights and three mags has my attention. Just placed the order so I should have it in a couple weeks given how fast they shipped my USP-9 Tactical.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top