Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 1/23/2015 11:35:53 AM EDT
Is $1800 a fair price for a one owner, complete 1980 vintage HK4 kit with all 4 barrels/mags in unused condition (only test fired from the factory) with the original boxes, spare buffers, owners manual, etc?

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Way over priced, you should sell to me for $400.

Seriously though, those guns were produced from 68-84. The early set is in the $2,000 range and later set in the $1,500 range. Do you know when they were manufactured? I would also think the value woukd hold or go up being an HK and in prestine condition.

ETA: Changed production timeframe.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Produced from 1968-1984 according to Wikipdia (I know, I know....it's Wikipedia).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_HK4

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that is right (84). That said if yours is 1980, the $1,500 range would be more accurate. I'm going off of current gun value guides, so that price is a general aggregate. I bet the guys over at HKPro would be ae to give you some good advice. HK's, especially old, rare and pristine, ones will usually hold a really good collector value.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow.  Talk about a fan-boy driven market.  That is huge money for a sheet-metal gun of no military significance.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow.  Talk about a fan-boy driven market.  That is huge money for a sheet-metal gun of no military significance.
View Quote

Sheet metal? Or was this posted in the wrong thread?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, that's cool.  I've never seen one of those.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wow, that's cool.  I've never seen one of those.
View Quote

I had one with the .380 barrel only, and it was one of the first guns I owned. I sold it to a pawn shop / gun store years ago trying to get something bigger than a .380.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:07:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an HK 4 ... Fine little gun.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would assume that anyone familiar with these pistols would know that they are a loose copy of the Mauser HSC, with a slide constructed of welded sheet metal stampings.  Its not like I'm making this up.  The P7 and P9 are similarly constructed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would assume that anyone familiar with these pistols would know that they are a loose copy of the Mauser HSC, with a slide constructed of welded sheet metal stampings.  Its not like I'm making this up.  The P7 and P9 are similarly constructed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate to break this to you but the slide on the HK4 is not stamped. I'm not saying you are making anything up but I can definitely say that you are mistaken in this case. I can't comment on the P7 or P9, though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I hate to break this to you but the slide on the HK4 is not stamped. I'm not saying you are making anything up but I can definitely say that you are mistaken in this case. I can't comment on the P7 or P9, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are definitely wrong.  You probably never looked at it close enough.

http://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/civ/hk4/hk4.htm

From link:

The HK 4 is a double action pistol, meaning it is both cocked and fired with the trigger for the first shot, and subsequently single action, with the trigger merely releasing the hammer, it having been cocked by the reciprocating slide. The slide is constructed out of sheet steel, formed on a mandrel, with the rear firing pin and safety mechanism pinned and or welded in place, and the front guide for the barrel welded on. The slide surfaces serrated for cocking, and containing the factory markings are riveted and possibly welded to the sheet steel formed into the slide. This is a similar construction technique to the SIG-Sauer P22X series of pistols (except those in .40 S&W and .357 SIG), and was very innovative at the time this pistol was introduced. It is typical of H&K's use of stamped steel to fashion firearms that are cheaper to make, and as durable as those utilizing milled forgings. The frame is a precision casting in lightweight alloy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll take pics of the slide and post them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll take pics of the slide and post them tomorrow.
View Quote

Take a look at the slide rails.  They are stamped right in.  And the barrel bushing is welded in between stamped slide housing sides.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been in the racing world for quite a long time and, while I feel that that has given me quite a lot of experience with materials and machining, I'm definitely not a firearms manufacturing expert. This part (the slide) sure has the feel, the weight and texture that I associate with a cast piece. I can not find any evidence of welding on the slide at all. I do see the indents on each side of the slide for the rails. It does make sense that if it was a machined cast part that there wouldn't be any need for the indention on the outside (unless it's some kind of weight consideration).

That said, I learn something new every day. Maybe it is stamped out of some really thick sheet, welded on the outside and then ground down and polished to remove any trace of seam lines or weld beads. If it is, it's a damn awesome job and seems really labor intensive.

Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top