Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 12:34:11 PM EDT
Anyone have one ?...I see HK left the 357 party and probly have no plans to come back to it. Anyone have one of these and if so do you like it?  I can find none on the used market last time I looked.

We have a used USP C 45 at work and it fits my hand great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:41:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Extremely rare.

Buy a .40 and do a barrel swap.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Extremely rare.

Buy a .40 and do a barrel swap.

View Quote

I hear ya but I want 357 on the slide :)
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone have one ?...I see HK left the 357 party and probly have no plans to come back to it. Anyone have one of these and if so do you like it?  I can find none on the used market last time I looked.

View Quote

I foresee .357Sig becoming a wildcat cartridge soon.  With the FBI going back to 9mm and no real ballistic advantage to having .357 they are nearly useless.  I have a Glock 32 which is being retired very soon for a Glock 19.

Feeding .357Sig is expensive, hard to find, and the excessive noise created by the cartridge makes the cartridge not as good as having 9mm.

9mm has better mag capacity, with +P ammo similar ballistics (again service caliber it is a pistol), cheaper ammo, more widely available.

Take my advice and pass on the .357 I went down that road and ended up at 9mm in the end.

1 box of WWB ammo is about $23 for 50 rounds vs $9 for 9mm Al case.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I foresee .357Sig becoming a wildcat cartridge soon.  With the FBI going back to 9mm and no real ballistic advantage to having .357 they are nearly useless.  I have a Glock 32 which is being retired very soon for a Glock 19.

Feeding .357Sig is expensive, hard to find, and the excessive noise created by the cartridge makes the cartridge not as good as having 9mm.

9mm has better mag capacity, with +P ammo similar ballistics (again service caliber it is a pistol), cheaper ammo, more widely available.

Take my advice and pass on the .357 I went down that road and ended up at 9mm in the end.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

357 sig and 9mm +p are not very similar. And the excessive chamber pressure of +p and +p+ are not what 9mm were designed for.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

357 sig and 9mm +p are not very similar. And the excessive chamber pressure of +p and +p+ are not what 9mm were designed for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not talking chamber pressures..... ballistically they are very similar both use a 9mm bullet, both penetrate and expand about the same, both +P and .357 have sharper recoil than most standard cartridges.  What is vastly different?  Pretty much all service calibers 9/40/357/45 are essentially perform the same in ballistic gel.  FBI did lots of testing on this and arrived at the conclusion 9mm is best option because the ballistics of service caliber pistols are essentially the same with no real edge going to any cartridge.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#6]
9mm and 357sig use different bullets design, don't believe me, go to try to reload some 357sig

Weights may be the same bull design is different, 9mm gun are not designed for the impact or excessive pressure of a steadly feeding +p and +p+ loads.

9mm also at +p+ loads  still fall short of that of the FPS, where as 357sig can far surpass those without issues, since that's what it was designed for.

Research expansions of bullets throughout YouTube and different caliber a yu will see that there is a big difference in bullets and qualities. FBI test do what they do, and that is just different tests, but they are not the rule all decision, just because you want 9mm to be what you want it doesn't make it so, it is still just a 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
9mm and 357sig use different bullets design, don't believe me, go to try to reload some 357sig

Weights may be the same bull design is different, 9mm gun are not designed for the impact or excessive pressure of a steadly feeding +p and +p+ loads.

9mm also at +p+ loads  still fall short of that of the FPS, where as 357sig can far surpass those without issues, since that's what it was designed for.

Research expansions of bullets throughout YouTube and different caliber a yu will see that there is a big difference in bullets and qualities. FBI test do what they do, and that is just different tests, but they are not the rule all decision, just because you want 9mm to be what you want it doesn't make it so, it is still just a 9mm.
View Quote

I carry a .357 Sig for one have for years.  Second the FPS gain with .357 Sig is not making an significant ballistic advantage over 9mm it is the same for all service calibers.  

Yes we know the Sig has faster FPS than 9mm +P or +P+ and as I stated I am not talking about feeding 9mm + ammo or the excessive pressure I subscribe that + ammo is pointless in the service caliber pistols because at the end of the day they all still preform essentially the same.  Penetration, expansion, etc etc all very similar and the differences do not give one an advantage over the other.

If you want to get into talking about impact and wear a .357Sig will wear faster than most any other pistol.

FYI I am not trying to make 9mm be anything but you need to face reality and leave the whole stopping power mentality of pistol cartridges at the door and come into the real world where pistol calibers in the grand scheme of things SUCK.  Most in real world situation do not expand all neat and perfect like they do in ballistic gel, many do not even expand unless a hit on hard tissue or bone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]
What the .357SIG does offer is slightly better penetration of hard objects.

That may or may be worth considering depending on your environment.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I carry a .357 Sig for one have for years.  Second the FPS gain with .357 Sig is not making an significant ballistic advantage over 9mm it is the same for all service calibers.  

Yes we know the Sig has faster FPS than 9mm +P or +P+ and as I stated I am not talking about feeding 9mm + ammo or the excessive pressure I subscribe that + ammo is pointless in the service caliber pistols because at the end of the day they all still preform essentially the same.  Penetration, expansion, etc etc all very similar and the differences do not give one an advantage over the other.

If you want to get into talking about impact and wear a .357Sig will wear faster than most any other pistol.

FYI I am not trying to make 9mm be anything but you need to face reality and leave the whole stopping power mentality of pistol cartridges at the door and come into the real world where pistol calibers in the grand scheme of things SUCK.  Most in real world situation do not expand all neat and perfect like they do in ballistic gel, many do not even expand unless a hit on hard tissue or bone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are benifets to having a higher velocity cartridge hence the reason a 357magnum is still Magnificent round, in the grand scheme of things, pistol caliber will never add up to rifle calibers, but there is a different when it comes to velocities and penitration for different calibers and velocities, going by your opinion everyone should just walk around with standard 380 fmj, as if there are no difference in calibers then 357=38 special 38sp=357sig 357sig=9mm 9mm=380acp all fire essentially the same bullet but there is a big variation due to velocities of the same bullet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There are benifets to having a higher velocity cartridge hence the reason a 357magnum is still Magnificent round, in the grand scheme of things, pistol caliber will never add up to rifle calibers, but there is a different when it comes to velocities and penitration for different calibers and velocities, going by your opinion everyone should just walk around with standard 380 fmj, as if there are no difference in calibers then 357=38 special 38sp=357sig 357sig=9mm 9mm=380acp all fire essentially the same bullet but there is a big variation due to velocities of the same bullet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you actually read one of my previous post I never brought 380acp or 38spc into the conversation.  I said service caliber and neither of those two are considered a service caliber any more.  Maybe prior to 1990's yes we would be talking about them but no police office in his right mind would carry that as a primary side arm.  Also I do not believe we were ever talking revolvers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I had one and it was a great handgun. I had the P2000SK in .357 Sig also. They USPc was a lot easier to shoot than the SK due to size and barrel length. The SK would produce giant flashes and would piss people off at the range. It was cool and all but I really like the USPc frame. No issues (with either). I shot the USPc a lot more and it ran like a sewing machine with anything I gave it.
One of the few I wish I had kept.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you actually read one of my previous post I never brought 380acp or 38spc into the conversation.  I said service caliber and neither of those two are considered a service caliber any more.  Maybe prior to 1990's yes we would be talking about them but no police office in his right mind would carry that as a primary side arm.  Also I do not believe we were ever talking revolvers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but your comment stays the same, similar bullets shot at different speeds. weather they are service calibers or not, your statement would include all of them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Why not just keep it simple, stick with a 9 or 45? I would imagine ammo would be easier to find
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top