Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2014 12:12:06 AM EDT
Dry cycling my new(to me) USP .40 Tactical yields a bind in the recoil spring at about half cycle. It gets past it, travels all the way back and returns to battery fine. I suspect the main spring is getting temporarily caught on the cap of the secondary spring's cap.  Shoots well...

Anybody experience this before? As simple as a worn spring? It doesn't feel weak.

Unknown round count, but it doesn't seem that high based on finish wear. I guess the prior owner could simply have protected it though...
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's doing what I think that is normal.  All the USPs I have owned have done that.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

It doesn't feel as if it should be happening.  I imagine it'd accelerate spring wear.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.

It doesn't feel as if it should be happening.  I imagine it'd accelerate spring wear.
View Quote

Is this where yours catches?

If so don't worry about it.  My other USP that I sold stopped in the exact same place and I put over 10,000rds through it and never had a problem or needed to change that spring.

ETA: Honestly I think it is designed to stop there as it works perfectly for a press check.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Nice photo!  Mine is doing it a little further back, roughly when the slide covers the barrel.

180 grain .40 is indeed subsonic!

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice photo!  Mine is doing it a little further back, roughly when the slide covers the barrel.

180 grain .40 is indeed subsonic!

View Quote

If yours is stopping as far back as you say I would take a very close look at all the internals and spring.  If you do not see anything I would trying to find another spring to try and see if that fixes it.  Good luck and please keep us updated as I'm very curious.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h36/D-RAS03/302622F9-09E2-432E-91D6-2B4BD19473F5_zpsdsalafqs.jpg

If so don't worry about it.  My other USP that I sold stopped in the exact same place and I put over 10,000rds through it and never had a problem or needed to change that spring.

ETA: Honestly I think it is designed to stop there as it works perfectly for a press check.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h36/D-RAS03/302622F9-09E2-432E-91D6-2B4BD19473F5_zpsdsalafqs.jpg

I agree, and mine is identical
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you may just be feeling the point where the buffer springs starts working, as part of the USP's "recoil reduction system".
You should be able to feel it let out if you hold the slide all the way back and slowly let it return to battery.
You will get that same feeling with a USP compact or a P30 where HK went to a nylon bushing instead of the 2 spring recoil assembly.
I have 3 USPs, a compact, and a P30L and they all have the "bind" you describe.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to all who responded.  There is a audible click and a release. Who knows maybe the prior owner bent the spring somehow. I'll order a new spring from wolf and see what happens. It's cheap.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top