Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2014 6:01:10 AM EDT
What are the diffences between the USP 45 and the HK45?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:04:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The HK45 is improved in most regards, but the big difference is that it uses a 10 round magazine an is sized for human hands in comparison to the USP45.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Light rail on the USP is the goofy universal rail that has to use an adapter to convert it to picatinny, HK45 has the standard rail so your lights will work out of the box. Trigger is much different feeling in the HK45 over the USP and doesn't have the factory match trigger option. The trigger on the HK45, P30, compacts, etc are not horrible when comparing DA/SA to DA/SA USP's but the USP is worlds better. Factory Match trigger is on par with any custom tuned trigger in other guns pretty much out of the box when comparing apple's to apple's, obviously its not going to feel like a 1911 trigger.
On the USP series you have the ability to run many different types of trigger systems, LEM-SA/DA-Even SA/DA no decocker so you can run it condition 1 cocked and locked. The P series and HK45's can run many combo's also but a tad more limited so not enough argument on that.
Mag compatibility with the HK45, HK45C, and USP 45 compact makes sharing a little easier on the wallet.  The USP 45 does have the benefit of +2 rounds of ammo even though it comes at the cost of a larger grip area.  Im still in shock that HK can make arguably the most comfortable grip in the world on a handgun and F up the trigger. Seriously how can the trigger get worse compared to the USP's???????  

Currently own a USP9 and USP Tactical 45 and dad has the HK45CT, we both want the HK45T so answer is always GET BOTH!

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#3]
The thing they have most in common is that they both wish they were Glocks...

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you get lost and wander into the tech forums by accident?  This isn't GD.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have bigger hands so I prefer the feel of the USP45 over the HK45 and I have 13 rounds of .45 instead of 11.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

leave it in GD
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I have not handled a USP but do have an HK45 and it handles really well.  

I am in the process of picking up a USP 45.  

Strangely many people prefer the USP over the newer HK45, I'd say it's about 50/50 from what I've seen.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Light rail on the USP is the goofy universal rail that has to use an adapter to convert it to picatinny, HK45 has the standard rail so your lights will work out of the box. Trigger is much different feeling in the HK45 over the USP and doesn't have the factory match trigger option. The trigger on the HK45, P30, compacts, etc are not horrible when comparing DA/SA to DA/SA USP's but the USP is worlds better. Factory Match trigger is on par with any custom tuned trigger in other guns pretty much out of the box when comparing apple's to apple's, obviously its not going to feel like a 1911 trigger.

On the USP series you have the ability to run many different types of trigger systems, LEM-SA/DA-Even SA/DA no decocker so you can run it condition 1 cocked and locked. The P series and HK45's can run many combo's also but a tad more limited so not enough argument on that.

Mag compatibility with the HK45, HK45C, and USP 45 compact makes sharing a little easier on the wallet.  The USP 45 does have the benefit of +2 rounds of ammo even though it comes at the cost of a larger grip area.  Im still in shock that HK can make arguably the most comfortable grip in the world on a handgun and F up the trigger. Seriously how can the trigger get worse compared to the USP's???????  

Currently own a USP9 and USP Tactical 45 and dad has the HK45CT, we both want the HK45T so answer is always GET BOTH!

View Quote

Thanks for that info.  I wish I could get both, but thats not in the cards currently.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Strangely many people prefer the USP over the newer HK45, I'd say it's about 50/50 from what I've seen.  

I like my USP .40 better than my P30 in .40, I also dislike the the LEM trigger (except for the no safety and chambered factor for carry).

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like my USP .40 better than my P30 in .40, I also dislike the the LEM trigger (except for the no safety and chambered factor for carry).

yeah, with a shitty caliber like 40 the USP recoil tames the recoil impulse as the USP was designed around 40.  Not the case for the P30.  Is your P30 LEM?

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, P30 is LEM. I love and hate the .40 for a number of reasons, but certainly wouldn't call it a "shitty" caliber. I agree with you about USP as a .40 gun though. I reload  light .40 rounds in the USP that feel like 9mm. Nice for shooting without a power factor.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I own a USP45 Tac and one of my friends has a new HK45 Tac. We've run both using my TiRant.

Things I like about my USP:

- as others have said, extra rounds in the mag.
- again as others have said the match trigger is pretty sweet... not as crisp as a finely tuned match trigger on say a custom shop revolver, but very good for a plastic framed handgun
- I prefer the shorter "nub" mag release paddles on the USP. The longer ones on the HK45 are not to my liking.

Things I like about my friend's HK45:

- Grip ergos look ugly as sin (opinion) but feel pretty good in the hand.
- STANDARD RAIL (can't yell that loud enough)

Things that are neither here nor there:

- The HK45 Tac does not have adjustable suppressor sights. Not a dealbreaker for many folks, could be for some. I'm impartial as sights can be changed.
- Barrels on both are almost identical... both are polygonally rifled with an o-ring and the same thread pitch.
- Shooting both suppressed and unsuppressed felt almost identical to me from a recoil and accuracy standpoint.

I have seen no big reason to sell my USP Tac and buy a HK45 Tac, but if I was starting from scratch I'd consider the HK45 mostly for the standard rail and the ergos... then again if I was looking for a new 45ACP suppressor host I'd get an FNX-45... higher round count in the mag, provisions for a RMR, more mags with the gun, traditional mag release, etc etc.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yes, P30 is LEM. I love and hate the .40 for a number of reasons, but certainly wouldn't call it a "shitty" caliber. I agree with you about USP as a .40 gun though. I reload  light .40 rounds in the USP that feel like 9mm. Nice for shooting without a power factor.

View Quote

I had a 9mm p30, I liked it but didn't love it.  I replaced it with a P7 and a hi power for my 9mm coverage.  Just ordered a usp45 to go with my hk45.  You're right 40 isnt as bad as I said.  The bad thing about the lem in the p series is the long reset.  That was one gripe I had with my p30.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the USP Tactical 45, picked it over an FNX Tactical as a host for my 45 Osprey. I don't like the Spider-Man Web look of the HK grip, can't give a review since I haven't shot it yet. I wanted something dependable, that's why I went with it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:52:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a USP tactical in both 9mm and 45 and a P30/9mm. Out of the box with all the fat grip panels the P30 has the best grip bar none. The grip on the USP gets much much better with a Hogue rubber sleeve. I prefer large grips that fill the hand especially with some palm swell. Trigger wise the 9mm USP has the full match trigger retro fit and it is darn near as good as my 1911 based race gun. I always shoot my guns single action so I can't even remark on their double action pull.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#16]

I keep my thumb on the safety, 1911 style, and found the left side of the HK45 frame digs into the web of my hand (I have large size hands). It's uncomfortable and does not get better over time. If you have the same experience when you pick one up for the first time I recommend you do not purchase it.

They are both overly portly for 45's.

They are my two most awkward pistols. After a few minutes I miss the better ergonomics of the Mauser Broomhandle.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a 9mm p30, I liked it but didn't love it.  I replaced it with a P7 and a hi power for my 9mm coverage.  Just ordered a usp45 to go with my hk45.  You're right 40 isnt as bad as I said.  The bad thing about the lem in the p series is the long reset.  That was one gripe I had with my p30.    

P7, nice! Agreed 100% on the LEM P series, reset is a huge bummer.

Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top