Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 10/8/2014 11:55:47 AM EDT
I went to the range yesterday, for the first time in a long time (long story).  It was great.

I ran 100 rounds through my P30, and it started to close the slide when inserting a loaded magazine.  I don't recall it ever doing it before yesterday, and it didn't do it for the first few magazines.  It doesn't require slamming the magazine in, a fairly regular insertion does the trick.

Can this happen when it's dirty, perhaps it got some grunge in the slide stop?  If it doesn't get fixed after cleaning, is this something they fix if I call them up?  I know a lot of people like this feature, but I am not so sure that I do.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It's normal.  Mine does it every single time. Very common thing and not an issue.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]
That's the HK Auto-Forward feature, speeding up tactical reloads since 1993.  VP9 doesn't seem to have it . I always hear a lot of folks say not to trust it, but I carried either a USP compact or a P2000 for the better part of 10 years as a duty pistol, and it never, ever failed to properly chamber and go into battery when auto-forwarded.  So, completely normal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]
as stated normal function
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's the HK Auto-Forward feature, speeding up tactical reloads since 1993.  VP9 doesn't seem to have it . I always hear a lot of folks say not to trust it, but I carried either a USP compact or a P2000 for the better part of 10 years as a duty pistol, and it never, ever failed to properly chamber and go into battery when auto-forwarded.  So, completely normal.
View Quote

Though my collection pales in comparison to many on here, I've owned several HKs and never had one that auto-forwards.  I guess that's the issue, trusting the firearm chambered a round.

I guess I will just get used to it! :)
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

VP9 does indeed have it. Requires a forceful insert

Just checked my VP9, you're right, it doesn't have that "feature". I actually like that it doesn't. I was thinking of my HK45 that sometimes does that and I personally don't like it as it messes with my routine
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the auto forward feature if it's really a feature. Makes for fast reloads.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#7]
My VP9 does it and I love it!
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#8]
OP’s definition of behaving badly is much different than mine.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#9]
The angle you bold it at slamming the mag in can affect it to a degree
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The angle you hold it at slamming the mag in can affect it to a degree
View Quote

Bingo.

It has to do with the polymer frame flexing when you seat the mag.

I watched Ken Hackathorn demonstrating it once, he could do it on demand, or not do it, with any of the polymer pistols.

Bottom line, I wouldn't depend on it happening every time if you're reloading in a hurry.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#11]
ive been told my usp will do it, but i cant get it to drop no matter how hard i slam the mag in
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ive been told my usp will do it, but i cant get it to drop no matter how hard i slam the mag in
View Quote

They had a "fix" for it.  I had a USP compact that would do it but then I bought a full size that has a later build date after the "fix" and it won't do it.  My P30 does it and I find it to be useful.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They had a "fix" for it.  I had a USP compact that would do it but then I bought a full size that has a later build date after the "fix" and it won't do it.  My P30 does it and I find it to be useful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, what was the fix?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't remember what they did but I think it's on their website somewhere but I couldn't find it.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top