Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 8/21/2014 9:47:39 AM EDT
I use my GLOCK 19 for my bedside gun and was thinking about replacing it with the HK vp9. Is the VP9 worth the swap.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The Hk really only falls short in aftermarket compatibility and size when compared to the glock, but since its bedside I would prefer the VP9 myself. I have a 19 and 26 and use a p30 as my nightstand gun and the glocks for carry. Of course I would choose what you shoot best.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep the G19.  Try the HK and if you like it get one down the road.  They're nice...but I'd never trade my G19's for one.  And I'm not a Glock fanboy.  I have Glocks, HK's, FN's, Colt 1911's, etc...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Last week I was able to run almost 1k rounds through the VP while attending a pistol/carbine class.  The HK ran well and the factory sights were a little big at 25 yards.  The grip insert options make the gun worth the extra $50 over the Glock 17/19.  By far the most comfortable handgun I own.  The magazines (at $44 per mag) are a setback but I was able to source 4 for $100.  Mag changes are fast and the magazines leaps from the grip to aid in clearing the way for the fresh magazine to be locked in.  Accuracy was good and no malfunctions other than shooting weak handed when I rode the slide release on empty back into battery.

Overall, I will probably trade in a 19 to get another VP.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The 19 is a time proven classic. If you can, keep it and pinch your pennies for a VP9. But, I totally understand if you're in a "I can only have one right now" situation. In that case, get the VP9. Though it's bigger, it carries about the same due to the lines of the pistol. It's much more comfortable in hand, and has a superior trigger, etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:15:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Hk really only falls short in aftermarket compatibility and size when compared to the glock, but since its bedside I would prefer the VP9 myself. I have a 19 and 26 and use a p30 as my nightstand gun and the glocks for carry. Of course I would choose what you shoot best.
View Quote

what aftermarket compatibility are you referring to?? Unlike Glocks, HKs need no aftermarket parts to function properly... As many HK owners would agree, HKs are boringly reliable
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

what aftermarket compatibility are you referring to?? Unlike Glocks, HKs need no aftermarket parts to function properly... As many HK owners would agree, HKs are boringly reliable
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a fan of both HK and Glock pistols, you're making me very conflicted on how asinine I want to go in my response.  But on a serious note, the aftermarket isn't only about replacement parts. It's holsters and accessories.  Subjective things like sights.  New pistols always trail in this versus established items. They'll catch up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:33:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/wtf/grand/colin_farrel_wtf.gif

As a fan of both HK and Glock pistols, you're making me very conflicted on how asinine I want to go in my response.  But on a serious note, the aftermarket isn't only about replacement parts. It's holsters and accessories.  Subjective things like sights.  New pistols always trail in this versus established items. They'll catch up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/wtf/grand/colin_farrel_wtf.gif

What sort of accessories are you speaking about?  I have had my fair share of HK pistols and haven't felt a need to change anything except for maybe sights.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was being serious as well... I've owned 2 USPs, 1 P2000, and an HK45 and I've never needed to replace anything.  I upgraded my mag releases on my USPs to the extended version and added night sights and that was it, which like you said is all preference.  If you want night sights for HKs, there is no shortage of availability.  If your concern is specifically the VP9, then you should know that the VP9 shares the same sights as the P30 & HK45, which means night sights are already available.  Again, as you already said, the VP9 is a new pistol so holsters will catch up.  But I am truly curious as to what "accessories" or aftermarket compatibility you are talking about...Are you wanting a Salient VP9?  Salient has worked on at least one P30, so Im sure they can work on a VP9.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#9]
If I had to choose between the gold standard of defensive handguns/the most common handgun in the United States with decades of data vs. an unproven, new up-and-comer, I think I would take the former, especially if the weapon were for HD.

Mags are another issue too. You get to pay double for H&K. How will that play out during the next panic?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#10]
If I were starting from scratch and I had no mid-sized service pistol, I'd be tempted to buy a VP9, but I'd probably go with a P30.  It's a proven design, universally reliable.  There's almost nothing you can do to make it not work.  The only reason they're not more popular is price and that mushy, heavy, creepy, awful trigger.  

The VP9 addresses both of those concerns, which is why I'd say I'd be tempted.  That said I've heard that HK significantly cheapened the polymer frames on the VP9s to cut the cost.  The molding on the grip doesn't look very good in photos, it looks similar to the PPQ, and while people seem to love the PPQ, I did not like mine.  The PPQ is a cheap feeling gun in comparison to HK's offerings, and it left me with the impression that it wouldn't hold up, so I sold mine.  Hopefully the VP9 is as good as the P30 in terms of durability.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I were starting from scratch and I had no mid-sized service pistol, I'd be tempted to buy a VP9, but I'd probably go with a P30.  It's a proven design, universally reliable.  There's almost nothing you can do to make it not work.  The only reason they're not more popular is price and that mushy, heavy, creepy, awful trigger.  

The VP9 addresses both of those concerns, which is why I'd say I'd be tempted.  That said I've heard that HK significantly cheapened the polymer frames on the VP9s to cut the cost.  The molding on the grip doesn't look very good in photos, it looks similar to the PPQ, and while people seem to love the PPQ, I did not like mine.  The PPQ is a cheap feeling gun in comparison to HK's offerings, and it left me with the impression that it wouldn't hold up, so I sold mine.  Hopefully the VP9 is as good as the P30 in terms of durability.  

View Quote

I am most impressed with the quality of the VP9.  I can see why you might be suspect because the price point is drastically lower than the comparable P30, but I can assure you that it wasn't made on the cheap.  If the did, it would include MIM parts, have a rougher finish, etc. It doesn't have any of that.  The trigger is as good or better than everybody says it is I was sold on mine the second I picked it up; give it a try and I think it'll change your mind.  Your recommendation on the P30 is solid, I don't disagree with that at all, just don't sell the VP9 short before you give it a chance.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Going to shoot my vp9 in an hour, I'll let you know
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#13]
My personal opinion - take the VP9 but keep your G19 for a while.
Shoot them both together a lot and then (if you really need to keep only one of them) keep the one you like more and shoot better.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was being serious as well... I've owned 2 USPs, 1 P2000, and an HK45 and I've never needed to replace anything.  I upgraded my mag releases on my USPs to the extended version and added night sights and that was it, which like you said is all preference.  If you want night sights for HKs, there is no shortage of availability.  If your concern is specifically the VP9, then you should know that the VP9 shares the same sights as the P30 & HK45, which means night sights are already available.  Again, as you already said, the VP9 is a new pistol so holsters will catch up.  But I am truly curious as to what "accessories" or aftermarket compatibility you are talking about...Are you wanting a Salient VP9?  Salient has worked on at least one P30, so Im sure they can work on a VP9.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I am not disagreeing with you as far as H&K pistols go and I agree that aftermarket parts are mostly superfluous. For better or ill those unnecessary bits help sell handguns. What I'm poking fun at is the assertion that the aftermarket that KNOWS was referencing was parts needed to make a Glock operate reliably.  I, not unlike you, tend to keep my pistols near stock and both manufacturers have been exceedingly reliable.

The only thing I'm wanting to see with the VP9 is an offering from the holster makers I favor.  Then I will shake one out at the range and switch out my G19 for conceal carry.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I own both, and I'm impressed with both.  I recommend you keep the Glock and save for the VP9.

Here's how it will go if you sell your Glock...

1.  You will find a buyer because they're easy to sell, but you'll lose $50-$75 because you're in a hurry and you have "new gun fever."
2.  You will go buy the VP9 and pay a reasonable price, but you've paid tax and lost tax on the G19 that you sold.  
3.  You'll enjoy the VP9 very much, post a great range report here, report that you're glad you sold the G19, and shoot the snot out of it.
4.  Time will pass, and you will remember your G19 as you read threads about how awesome they are.
5.  You'll earn more money and go buy another G19 that's just as good as the first, but you've paid retail and tax again.

You'll end up with both either way...save some money and do it by keeping your original Glock.  Ask me how I know about all of this...

New gun fever is a bitch.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I own both, and I'm impressed with both.  I recommend you keep the Glock and save for the VP9.

1.  You will find a buyer because they're easy to sell, but you'll lose $50-$75 because you're in a hurry and you have "new gun fever."
2.  You will go buy the VP9 and pay a reasonable price, but you've paid tax and lost tax on the G19 that you sold.  
3.  You'll enjoy the VP9 very much, post a great range report here, report that you're glad you sold the G19, and shoot the snot out of it.
4.  Time will pass, and you will remember your G19 as you read threads about how awesome they are.
5.  You'll earn more money and go buy another G19 that's just as good as the first, but you've paid retail and tax again.

You'll end up with both either way...save some money and do it by keeping your original Glock.  Ask me how I know about all of this...

View Quote

Couldn't have said it better ....
Plus HK mags will be much more expensive and harder to find locally

Not to beat the dead horse , but holster options will be scarce , as well as sights and any other spare part ...pay the HK premium up charge and very few places will have anything stock .

I'm looking at one , I held it today and also held a new PPQ.  Both very similar.
Everybody will brag about the low price they paid , but in my area these are $150 more than Glocks
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well said!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]
So long as replacing doesn't mean you're going to sell the glock, fine. No reason to jettison the glock, the VP9 is a better pistol imo, but it doesn't make the Glock a bad one. Unless you absolutely can't stand having the glock around, best to keep it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Down the road you will may regret selling the Glock 19.  

It is a classic pistol that is time-proven and has dual use for both carry and a bedside pistol. The Glock 19's size efficiency and 15 round capacity are hard to beat.  Consider also cheaper magazines and wide spread parts availability.

The VP9 seems to be proving to be an excellent service grade pistol with a sweet trigger and great grip, combined with HK quality and accuracy at an affordable price. I like it a lot.

IMHO, keep the Glock 19 and get a VP9 also when you can.    

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Why sell a gun? This is ARFcom, get both
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I liked my VP9 so much I had to pick up another one for my other hand.  I defintely prefer it over the Glocks I have...  My EDC has been a USP 40, nearly 20 years...she just retired and I have switched to the VP9... hopefully a VP40 and VP45 are out sooner than later.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#22]
the h&k forum is not a place for unbiased responses (see above lol), though I am surprised at the number of posts recommending that you keep your g19.  they're right.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#23]
If you are already own a Glock 19 I don't see the need in replacing it unless you have had problems with it; unless you just want a change. I have had thousands of rounds through mine with zero complaints and zero desire to replace; i kinda like having the same ole G19 that I know inside out and feel comfortable/confident with.
No knock on HK (great guns/great company); just My 2 cents...
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#24]
VP9 looks good but I'm not an early adopter.

I wait a year(more preferably) before I try a new gun.

I also like to see wide distribution/heavy use.

A big contract is also a plus.

YMMV.

Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top