Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2014 11:12:47 PM EDT
I went to the gun store, and asked the guy what a good first gun would be, and he told me to buy the HK P30, so I did.  I took it to the range, and I was very disappointed to realize that this gun is made of plastic!  Nobody wants no plastic gun, am I right?  So I shot 4 or 5 clips of bullets through it, and decided to safety check the barrel, and the damn thing burned my hand!  They should put a warning on there somewhere.

Nah, I'm just kidding.  This pistol is awesome.  The first empty mag didn't lock the slide, but that was the only malfunction.  Nothing else to report.  I shot 200 rounds of 115gr target ammo, and a partial box of 147gr ball that I found lying around.  Then I ran about 50 rounds of Critical Duty through it, and it ran fine, of course.  Then my wallet sploded, so I had to quit.  The P30 does not disappoint.  The grip feels every bit as good as the reviews about it led me to expect.  Honestly, the grip is great, but I didn't think that would be a really big deal.  It is.  I love it.  I didn't know that would be so important, but now that I've shot it, I don't think I could go back.  I've got a Glock 19, and the finger grooves just line up wrong.  Despite being slightly larger than the Glock 19, the P30 carries comfortably in a cheap, loose leather holster designed for the Glock.  It'll hold me over until I get something nicer.  I have no problem carrying it; it's downright comfortable.  Now that I've tried this pistol, I've just got to try the HK45.  I don't really need both of these kidneys, do I?

And a new HK fanboy is born...

I did notice one thing that I'd like to seek the collective knowledge of Arfcom about.  Something interesting is happening to the magazine followers.  It seems like something is peening the top of the follower, near the front, and down along the face that contacts the bottom cartridge.  In the pictures below, it looks like they are scuffed, but those marks actually have depth, so something is hitting it hard.  Is that normal, and do you notice it on your mags?  I'm sure it's no problem, but I'm very curious.

Here are the obligatory pics, and of course, they are the worst cell phone pics you will ever see.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:54:45 AM EDT
[#1]
You got me with your first paragraph! First thing I did was check out your post count thinking we had a troll in the building.

The slide not locking back was probably caused by your thumb holding the slide stop lever down. It's pretty common with P30s due to the long lever. I still do it regularly unless I consciously think about keeping my thumb clear of it. Honestly it's my one complaint about the P30.

The markings of the mag follower is normal. All of mine have them. The good news is they get to a certain point and don't get any worse. At least that's what I have noticed. I'm not sure what causes it....someone here will know.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a P30S V3 in Oct.

Its a good reliable pistol  and its accurate.

Its not ammo picky .

All the practice loads( ball) and SD loads  so far  have gave good combat accuracy and feed fine.

I don't like the recoil impulse when shooting standard pressure 147gr loads.!!

Doing Bill drills ? I do best with standard pressure 124gr loads or some of the milder 124+P over the 147gr.

Rapid firing  speer 124 ball its easy to keep all rounds within the 10ring at 7y without really trying.

Other than that I think my 1998 Sig P229 is a better made pistol and I would take a MK25 over a P30 any day of the week.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the report. I just landed one yesterday.  If it shoots as good as it feels in the hand, I'll be a happy camper.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats! Your P30 is identical to my P30. It is an absolutely awesome pistol. Now that you have been bitten by the Hk bug, try a USP C, a P2000SK, and a Hk45C. Those are my other favorites. Just know it won't be your last. Hk's are more addicting than AR's .

The magazine follower "scuffing" is from the rim of the shell casing biting the plastic, I think as that last round is getting loaded. Could also be from the spring pressure pushing the round into the follower a hair, since the follower is plastic vs the metal shell, it would be the one to deform. Every one of my magazines, from Hk, Glock, and Sig, all show the same thing. It does seem to lessen over time as the shell wears in a "groove" so to say in the follower. I just pick off any plastic bits that are sticking up and continue on.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Why does your VP9 have a hammer on it?

I will say that the followers have a very long life and that's nothing to be concerned with.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't overlook that you can use different sized side plates to customize the grip.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The slide not locking back was probably caused by your thumb holding the slide stop lever down. It's pretty common with P30s due to the long lever. I still do it regularly unless I consciously think about keeping my thumb clear of it. Honestly it's my one complaint about the P30.

View Quote

I hear that al the time. I'm sure its true.
Somehow I haven't ran into it.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had/have that issue as well.  One thing I did that helped was switching to the "slim" slide release (got mine from HKParts).  

From time to time I still find myself riding the release, maybe swapping out some of the grip panels would help a bit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I had/have that issue as well.  One thing I did that helped was switching to the "slim" slide release (got mine from HKParts).  

From time to time I still find myself riding the release, maybe swapping out some of the grip panels would help a bit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just cant even do it on purpose . the knuckle of my thumb hits the start of the takedown lever .  I think the Safety helps  keep my thumb low. if I raise it the safety would lock on.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a P30S V3 and it is my safe queen, or shall I say, safe king.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:32:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretty sure your mags are fine.  Mine are pretty roughed up in the same area, too
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top