Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 7/12/2014 5:10:33 PM EDT
Got myself a new P30 today, and I'm entertaining the idea of getting a suppressor.  I know this is probably a dumb question, but does prolonged use of a suppressor damage any part of a pistol?  It seems to me that having all that extra weight on the muzzle has got to have some effect on the locking block or the locking system during action.  And being a polymer framed pistol, I just wonder about wear.  It's something I've never read anything about, which should probably indicate that it's not bad, but If some of you with more knowledge will share your info, I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You will see extra wear on the normal wear parts - barrel/slide interface, higher pressure (firing pin channel, etc), recoil spring. There will not be any extra force transferred into the frame ... but there will be a lot more fouling due to the backpressure.

I always thought of it as 2:1 - if they say to change the recoil spring at 10,000, I change it at 5,000. Etc.

A lot of people shoot subsonic ammo through their suppressors and that will cut down on the wear a little bit. These rounds tend to not be as hard on the gun with a can on it.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top