BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Page / 14
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't doubt you felt a difference in two completely different pistols, but it wasn't due to "high bore axis". I run a Glock 17 for work and 3 gun normally, but sometimes I mix it up and run a USP compact in matches.  Little to no difference in my end score. My VP9 "feels" different than either, but again, it's a different gun. If I don't shoot it as well, I'm not going to blame "high bore axis", because if I don't turn in good times, it's on me, not the gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got to shoot the local fun stores rental today. It's very nice and a awesome grip. A little snappy but I am coming from full size 1911s so I am most likely just not used to it. The mag release is a little different,  I could not drop the mag while pointing the gun. I had to tip it to the side to reach. With more use I am sure it would be fine. It is smaller then it looks in photos. I really like the slide tabs on the rear.

I will be buying this gun, just not at the 780 the store is selling the night sight model for.

Your perception is correct. The VP9 and the PPQ both share the "high bore axis" gene. That's what makes it feel snappy. I notice it, but it doesn't cause problems for me like a Sig does. (I feel like I'm waiting a week for the recoil to finish.) The 1911 has a much lower bore axis.

Ugh. Enough with all this "bore axis" business. If you can shoot well enough where the miniscule difference between bore heights on two different pistols makes any difference, you're in the business of shooting for money, and you wouldn't be discussing it on a gun forum. There are a multitude of factors that affect recoil, weight of the gun, recoil spring weight, grip angle, and the number one most important factor, how well your grip and shooting technique controls said recoil.  The only way you could measurably compare recoil due to bore axis would be to have two mechanically identical pistols of the same make and model, the only difference being the height of the bore.  Anything else is apples to oranges.

Relax. I can tell the difference. I'm just not a competition level shooter. It may be more obvious if you start with a 1911 and shoot that a lot for 5-6 years. Then you might notice the difference. YMMV

On the VP9 subject, both of us stated that while we could feel the difference, it wasn't enough difference to bother us or, at least in my case, slow me down. IIRC several people on Todd's forum mention the same thing about the PPQ. In this case, it means that if you avoid some guns (like possibly Sigs) because of the high bore axis, you might be OK with the VP9, since it doesn't have as much effect.

I don't doubt you felt a difference in two completely different pistols, but it wasn't due to "high bore axis". I run a Glock 17 for work and 3 gun normally, but sometimes I mix it up and run a USP compact in matches.  Little to no difference in my end score. My VP9 "feels" different than either, but again, it's a different gun. If I don't shoot it as well, I'm not going to blame "high bore axis", because if I don't turn in good times, it's on me, not the gun.

My $0.02
The Sig has a heavy milled slide with a light aluminium frame, so I find the high bore axis very noticeable in the top heavy gun. With the previous sheet metal slide version the high bore axis is significantly less noticeable. Compared to other pistols the milled SIG slide is a porker, hence the noticeable difference IMO.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]
snip

My $0.02
The Sig has a heavy milled slide with a light aluminium frame, so I find the high bore axis very noticeable in the top heavy gun. With the previous sheet metal slide version the high bore axis is significantly less noticeable. Compared to other pistols the milled SIG slide is a porker, hence the noticeable difference IMO.
View Quote

Not to get this thread too off track but, now you're telling me that a pistol with a top heavier milled slide recoils more than a similar pistol with a lighter stamped slide, and it's due to the "higher bore axis" making it more noticeable?  It's not the inertia of the heavier slide causing this? The fact that the heavier slide does actually mean the gun is more top heavy by actual weight and not lever arm?  This is a tech forum, think critically about what factors are really in play in the recoil action of those two pistols instead of regurgitating gun shop counter nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Put another 200 rounds through my VP9 today. Over 800 through it now.

I love this gun. Just ordered a Fury concealment holster (with IWB soft loops) for it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Put another 200 rounds through my VP9 today. Over 800 through it now.

I love this gun. Just ordered a Fury concealment holster (with IWB soft loops) for it.
View Quote

I just hit the same setup ordered in the quick ship option. Got it in 4 or 5 days and wore it fir the last few. So far I like it. I did have to dry draw it about 20 times to break it in but I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
snip

Not to get this thread too off track but, now you're telling me that a pistol with a top heavier milled slide recoils more than a similar pistol with a lighter stamped slide, and it's due to the "higher bore axis" making it more noticeable?  It's not the inertia of the heavier slide causing this? The fact that the heavier slide does actually mean the gun is more top heavy by actual weight and not lever arm?  This is a tech forum, think critically about what factors are really in play in the recoil action of those two pistols instead of regurgitating gun shop counter nonsense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
snip

My $0.02

The felt recoil is affected by the bore axis and slide mass. The force produced by the cartridge is identical but felt differently. Slide mass is relevant as it directly plays into the poundage of your springs. Lighter slides and shorter slide travel tend to push more sharply in my hand. I've owned and shot the sheet metal P228 along side a milled P229 in the same caliber with the same ammo. I put brand new factory springs in the P228 so spring wear was not a factor.The P228 sheet metal slide is much more pleasant to shoot than the Milled P229. All the above is my opinion. Heavy slide + high bore + light frame that gives no counterbalance = more time to recover from every shot.
The HK VP9 if it is anything like the P30 will have a lighter slide to give it a better balance with the frame. So it should be more like shooting a P228/Walther PPQ than a P229.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The HK VP9 if it is anything like the P30 will have a lighter slide to give it a better balance with the frame. So it should be more like shooting a P228/Walther PPQ than a P229.
View Quote

The VP9 is very close to, if not the same, as the PPQ in how the recoil/muzzle jump feels. Both are much nicer than the P229, even with NATO spec 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#7]
So does anyone know any good IWB holsters for the VP9? Just got mine today, love it! Man what a trigger too, and she handled Gold Dots, HST's, and Golden Sabers like they were too easy. Yeah, this baby is replacing my 9c as my cold weather carry gun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Getting mine from this guy. He is currently quoting 2-3weeks. I had some special requests on how holster was set up, ordered early morning made notes in comment section. He called me around noon to verify we were on same page with  everything. Very polite and professionalhttp://www.statureman.com/2014/07/hk-vp9-kydex-holster.html
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So does anyone know any good IWB holsters for the VP9? Just got mine today, love it! Man what a trigger too, and she handled Gold Dots, HST's, and Golden Sabers like they were too easy. Yeah, this baby is replacing my 9c as my cold weather carry gun.
View Quote

CompTac
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

CompTac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CompTac
Thanks. I went off searching on my own since sleep was next to nonexistent and I've found two that I am interested in:

Stealthgear Onyx IWB

JM Custom Kydex IWB Version Three

Has anyone have experiences with either companies?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#11]
You may want to check this one out.

Armatuscarry.com
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#12]
http://www.taprackholsters.com/

I highly recommend TR ... they are making bad ass rigs, and their custom work is fucking outstanding.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#13]
After owning 3 USP's and hating them, I decided to try out a VP9 from previous handling of a P30.  I pick it up Sunday and can't wait to put some rounds down range with it.  I'm expecting to really like it from what I thought of the P30 grip.  I'm a Glock boy almost exclusively, so I'm curious to see how the VP9 revision of the grip feels, along with the lower slide height as compared to the P30.  

Regardless of the arguments about bore axis in here, it makes a difference to me.  That's what I hated about the USP's, as well as Sig's.  Physics don't lie, a higher bore axis absolutely results in more muzzle flip, negligible or not.  At the end of the day, I like much lower slide heights simply for my preference.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After owning 3 USP's and hating them, I decided to try out a VP9 from previous handling of a P30.  I pick it up Sunday and can't wait to put some rounds down range with it.  I'm expecting to really like it from what I thought of the P30 grip.  I'm a Glock boy almost exclusively, so I'm curious to see how the VP9 revision of the grip feels, along with the lower slide height as compared to the P30.  

Regardless of the arguments about bore axis in here, it makes a difference to me.  That's what I hated about the USP's, as well as Sig's.  Physics don't lie, a higher bore axis absolutely results in more muzzle flip, negligible or not.  At the end of the day, I like much lower slide heights simply for my preference.
View Quote

You'll probably like the VP9 -- the grip is very nice, much more comfortable than a Glock or a USP. Be sure to play with the inserts--what you think you'll like might not be what you end up liking. I actually like the smallest inserts, which is what my fiancee needs, more than the larger inserts you'd think I'd need from gorilla hands.

You'll probably be like most of us on the muzzle flip and, if you notice it all, say that it's more, but not a problem. (Kind of like how the Glock grip is like a brick, but for whatever reason, isn't a problem once you start shooting it.)
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Any leads on a in stock LE model?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're on GB for $699. I decided to go with a Standard as the price was just too good and to be honest like the look of the ramped sight. The spare mag and sights are only a $100 value. I ordered mine for $567 shipped. They still have a few left http://shop.georgiagunstore.com/index.php?crn=2241&rn=49668&action=show_detail
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They do look remarkably similar, but HK is mo' betta'.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's funny I always though my 1911 had a high bore axis I would guess most of that "snap" is just the fact my 1911 is more then twice the weight of the vp9

I put it next to a PPQ and it almost looks like one of the designers got fired and went to work for HK, They have a lot of the same features.

They do look remarkably similar, but HK is mo' betta'.  

LOL I also expect the HK to have better support and availability and for HK to ship a compact version before Walther either makes a PPQc with lever magazine release or starts shipping the existing P99c in any numbers. (Had one on order for a year with no results. The P99c isn't a super popular gun, so there is no excuse.)  With HK making lever magazine release striker fired pistols (at a really nice price point yet), well, we are not going to get rid of our Walthers, but we probably won't get any additional ones.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Top Gun Supply just got in some as of 3:00pm today .
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I just broke the 1000 round mark with mine today at 3 gun. I'm really enjoying the pistol. The Ergos are amazing, but the trigger does not beat my M&P Pro w. the Apex FSS kit *I did not expect it to* I normally shoot that in 3 gun, but the holster was packed away as I'm moving.

I've got a couple of holsters for it.  Here are two I had made from Wilder Tactical IWB and OWB.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got an offer to trade a 516 upper for one of these. I'm very tempted to take it, but magazines

I know they're incredibly reliable and well built mags, but I can get 2 mags for the G17/34 I'm looking at building for every P30 mag I buy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just broke the 1000 round mark with mine today at 3 gun. I'm really enjoying the pistol. The Ergos are amazing, but the trigger does not beat my M&P Pro w. the Apex FSS kit *I did not expect it to* I normally shoot that in 3 gun, but the holster was packed away as I'm moving.

I've got a couple of holsters for it.  Here are two I had made from Wilder Tactical IWB and OWB.
http://i.imgur.com/I6ttsqz.jpg

http://

http://i.imgur.com/PCjmHPp.jpg

View Quote

Did you shoot the Copperhead Creek 3 gun?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just got an offer to trade a 516 upper for one of these. I'm very tempted to take it, but magazines

I know they're incredibly reliable and well built mags, but I can get 2 mags for the G17/34 I'm looking at building for every P30 mag I buy.
View Quote

If you wait for deals, you can find the mags for $30 new sometimes. Still means every three Glock mags equals two VP9 mags, but that's not too bad
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you wait for deals, you can find the mags for $30 new sometimes. Still means every three Glock mags equals two VP9 mags, but that's not too bad
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$30 is very manageable. I'll have to keep my eyes open.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#24]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sFNrnD1M3c&feature=youtu.be

Got the VP9 working on this 3 gun nation classifier. I'm not saying I had a good run ... but I beat Daniel Horner's time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Got mine out for the third time today but only another 150 rds, I like it more and more every time.  Very happy with it.  I saw it somewhere online for only $550, it's an amazing gun for the price.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I finally found one locally!  I was on my way to the range and I stopped by a pawn shop in my town that has a gunshop in it. They did not have one, but they told me to call their other store. They had 2! $589 was the best price I have seen so I bought it.

Took it out and shot 75 rounds through it. So far it has been perfect.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/I6ttsqz.jpg

Nah, I was just out TDSA.  Don't know what happened to the OWB photo, but here it is.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:40:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Those are crazy looking. Why the holes? Seems like you'd get a lot of lint/dust/dirt in there?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I finally found one locally!  I was on my way to the range and I stopped by a pawn shop in my town that has a gunshop in it. They did not have one, but they told me to call their other store. They had 2! $589 was the best price I have seen so I bought it.

View Quote

Good score, that's a great price.  The VP9 is seriously encroaching on Glock pricing territory, and that's with metal sights and metal mags.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Good score, that's a great price.  The VP9 is seriously encroaching on Glock pricing territory, and that's with metal sights and metal mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, I almost bought both of them!
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Took some photos today for a review I'm doing (www.ryansrangereport.com) Just broke 1000 rounds on it, and shot it in a 3 gun match yesterday.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Great pictures!  I can't wait to take my VP9 out again this week.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Anyone heard if there's a compact version planned? I'd love one if so.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd be interested in that, as well as a long slide and a .45 version
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I just posed a review and pics at my site.  Very impressed so far.  I'll know more in a couple of weeks after I run it through some classes.

Check it out http://www.blackfinmp.com/blog/2014/9/15/hk-vp9-review
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone thinking of adding an RMR to their's? Perfect potential but I think the slide may be too thin for it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Try Mark Housel at http://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/

He should be able to install an ATOM adapter to it.  From a post on another forum, he says it's similar to the P30.
http://www.unitytactical.com/products/atom-mount/
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Try Mark Housel at http://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/

He should be able to install an ATOM adapter to it.  From a post on another forum, he says it's similar to the P30.
http://www.unitytactical.com/products/atom-mount/
View Quote
Thanks, I may give him a call soon then. Been looking for another reason to buy another one and keep this one clean and a twin to play with.

ETA: I just got off the phone with him, he needs to look at the slide so tomorrow we agreed to meet at his place to see. If anyone wants an update or specific questions asked after our meet, let me know. His business is in my town.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Am I the only one who thinks that the present (and still first) version of VP9 is actually a compact one?
Barrel lenght of 104 mm sounds more like a compact version to me.
I'd be happy to see some full-size (or long-slide or no-matter-how-you-call-it) version with barrel lenght comparable to P30L.
And my dream gun would be VP9 Tactical (analogically to USP series)!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Am I the only one who thinks that the present (and still first) version of VP9 is actually a compact one?
I'd be happy to see some full-size (or long-slide or no-matter-how-you-call-it) version with barrel lenght comparable to P30L.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that most would consider a compact version to have a shorter grip and shorter barrel length. Personally, I think the size of the VP9 is perfect. The hand grip is excellent, the sight radius is excellent. It is a great handgun, competitively priced, easly concealable, very accurate, and smooth shooting.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The barrel length is compact however because the slide is longer in the back and the size of the grip, it's very comparable to a Glock 17. 99% sure HK will release a subcompact version between the size of the P2000 and P2000SK
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think that most would consider a compact version to have a shorter grip and shorter barrel length. Personally, I think the size of the VP9 is perfect. The hand grip is excellent, the sight radius is excellent. It is a great handgun, competitively priced, easly concealable, very accurate, and smooth shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that it's just about right.  I wouldn't mind if the grip was just a hair shorter, but in reality, at least for me, the VP9 is no more difficult to conceal than a USP compact.  I tried both, same IWB holster, same shirt, and there was no noticeable difference.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone ordered vp9 from Botch? I know they have bad reviews but I feel like it would be hit or miss with this. Either they send me it or are out of stock and get a refund? Price on LE is good, if it is actually in stock though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Shot my first USPSA style match with my vp9.
It was great!   I thought I would blow the mag change, but it just happened naturally.  

I did however notice my brass comes out of the gun strange.  It has a ring around the neck. Almost looks like .357 sig brass. I am going to size some of it and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Shot my first USPSA style match with my vp9.
It was great!   I thought I would blow the mag change, but it just happened naturally.  

I did however notice my brass comes out of the gun strange.  It has a ring around the neck. Almost looks like .357 sig brass. I am going to size some of it and see how it goes.
View Quote

I've shot Black Hills, Perfecta, Federal, Sig branded defensive ammo, Speer Gold Dots, Winchester PDX1's, and even that Turkish ZQ1 123 grain stuff with my own VP9, and I've not seen any of that.

Can you post pics of the brass?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Yes, the VP9 has a stepped chamber.  Google search for "VP9 stepped chamber" will probably give you all the info you need.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yes, the VP9 has a stepped chamber.  Google search for "VP9 stepped chamber" will probably give you all the info you need.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. Never seen it with any other pistol.  No big deal. Should resize fine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. Never seen it with any other pistol.  No big deal. Should resize fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. P30 does the same thing. To date I have 14,250 through my P30 and I reload all the brass. No issues.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#49]
For anyone looking for great sights ... Dawson has a full line up:

Dawson

I'm proud to say the one pictured is in my safe. :)

They did a great job putting these together and they shoot like a dream. These are the sights I was using in the video above.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yup. P30 does the same thing. To date I have 14,250 through my P30 and I reload all the brass. No issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, P30s, also Walther PPQ & PPS.
Page / 14
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top