Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 4:54:18 PM EDT
I am debating on which one to buy as a "Gift" for myself after successfully completing the Police Academy....(honestly its just an excuse to spend money that would be better suited to go on other more important things)

Anyway, The USP-C fits my hands better, and well, I just think the USP looks clunky and like a brick .....However, I am wondering if there is much of a difference in the accuracy since the USPc has a shorter barrel and sight radius....I know with my poor pistol skills this isn't a huge issue at the moment, but once my pistol shooting improves, well, yeah....

Also I have the Sig P229 and P226 thrown into the mix...Any opinions on those also with the above mentioned (even though this is the HK sub forum ) Most ill probably ever shoot is 50-60 feet (farthest)

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd recommend the USP Tactical if your already going with the full size one, comes already threaded incase your thinking about a suppressor down the road. You said the compact fits your hand better, if your more comfortable with that, then you've already made your choice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I've owned the full-size and compact versions of the USP, both in .45.

I shot the full-size marginally better but could never carry it because it was too unwieldy for my frame. So it sat. The accuracy was a tad better for me, likely because of the longer sight radius... and because the recoil was a bit less than the compact's.

Even so, I preferred the compact and would definitely recommend it over the full-size (unless you are 6'4 and massive). The accuracy trade-off is negligible and the benefits of the compact far outweigh the negatives in my opinion. This is especially true if you are considering the 9mm variants.

That said... I've since sold both of them. HK makes quality pistols, but they aren't for me - too big, too heavy and much too long a trigger (without the LEM).

Hope this helps, good luck.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both a USP Tactical and a USP CT.

I prefer the full size Tac over the compact, mostly because I run it with a TiRant 45 can and the TiRant looks and feels at home on the full size pistol. Plus the full size tac has the suppressor sights and the match trigger. The match trigger makes a slight difference in my accuracy between the two regardless of the can. The CT is very "tail wagging the dog" with the can on... the same sensation I get when using my Multimount on my Glock 19.

WITHOUT the can however the CT is handier due to its smaller stature but I'm not as accurate with it as the full size. Honestly I've been thinking of selling my CT for a while now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
My first issued gun was a USP 40 fullsize.   I'm a big guy and I liked it but not as much as my SIGs.     I'm issued a P226 now.  I carry a P229 when I'm not working either in 357 SIG or in 9mm.  I don't ever plan on getting another HK unless it is a P7.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got both the Compact & Tactical USP .45acp models. I also used to have a .45 fullsize. Oddly enough, the Compact shoots more accurate than any of them do/did. Maybe I got a fluke, who knows? All I do know is my Compact will shoot the wings off of a fly if I do my part.

My .o2
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have owned the full size USP9 and the USP9c.  I would highly recommend the compact if you take this USPC route. The full size is huge and the difference in accuracy is marginal if that.  Both are gone and all I have left HK related is an HK45c that I seriously doubt I will ever part with.  The P30 and HK 45 have some nice upgrades ergonomically speaking if you hadn't considered them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got both the Compact & Tactical USP .45acp models. I also used to have a .45 fullsize. Oddly enough, the Compact shoots more accurate than any of them do/did. Maybe I got a fluke, who knows? All I do know is my Compact will shoot the wings off of a fly if I do my part.

My .o2
View Quote

I don't think your experience is a fluke.  My USP45c is a freaking laser beam.  I have put three mags into one jagged hole with it.  Not to say my 45F or HK45 are not accurate, but I love that 45c.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I own them all.  Inherent accuracy, there is no difference to speak of.  You ability to shoot one better than the other, that's another story.  I shoot the Compact just as accurately as I shoot myUSP,  Tac, Expert, and Elite when shooting from a rest.  Off hand, I do a little better with the better sights and longer sight radius of the Tac, Expert and Elite, and shoot about the same with the USP versus the USPC.  Target sights help these old eyes for sure.  The limiting factor is obviously the shooter, not the pistol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer the USPc, the full size is just too big. No noticeable difference in accuracy to me, though I have only shot the full size a little. Conversely I prefer the P226 over the P229 (the P229 grip just doesn't feel right). Either are good, go with the one that feels better. I would check out the P2000, HK45/HK45c and P30 as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:29:14 AM EDT
[#10]
well guys ended up having the opportunity to feel both in my hand and.....I ended up picking the Full size USP 9 ... I didnt feel too much of a difference in the grip size.

So now im a proud owner of my first HK!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Congrats! I have two full size USPs and two compacts. All 9mm. You might want to try the Hogue Handall grip if you have med/large hands.  It helps me get a stronger more ergonomic grip.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top