Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 4/7/2014 9:30:29 AM EDT
Hello,

I picked up a cheap USP 9 a month or so ago.  Well, I've FINALLY located a de-coupler for my Trident-9 suppressor in 13.5x1 LH thread.  Can I simply purchase the HK USP 9 barrel and drop it in my non-tactical USP 9 and be good to go?  Does the 9mm tactical barrel have the o-ring like the .45 does?  Anything else I need to make it function correctly on the pistol end?

I'd like to add the tactical recoil spring assy as well, if the spring is any stronger.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the barrel is drop in.  No, unlike the .40 and .45 variants, it does not have an O ring.  The 9mm tactical model (officially called the 9mm SD) is strange, in that essentially all it is, is a standard 9mm usp with a threaded barrel (and I believe heavier recoil spring for shooting suppressed.)  

So, in essence, if you drop the barrel into it, you will pretty much have an exact clone of a 9mm USP SD.  (The one FROM the factory doesn't even have any extra markings on the slide either, like the .40 and .45 do.)
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget the raised sights as well. The SD and the Tacticals come with HK's raised target sights.

Edit: The SD is only missing two things that the Tacticals have, which is the O-ring and the match trigger, both of which are debatable "do they really help that much on a fighting handgun" things.

BUT the most important thing missing on the SD is the huge block letters that spell out TACTICAL on the slide.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting.  Thank you.

I should have asked earlier, but do you know a good source for them at a decent price?  I see them on eBay for much less than HKparts, but would like to buy from a site vendor if possible.

Quoted:
Don't forget the raised sights as well. The SD and the Tacticals come with HK's raised target sights.
View Quote

Yes, I hoped to get some raised/adj. sights as well.  I'd live to put on RMR on the slide, but I don't know if anyone mills them to set recessed into the slide.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know anyone who mills USP slides for RMR type optics. I'm not sure if there is interference with the ejector roll pin or not... I don't have mine in front of me to put my RMR over it to see.

But I can say from experience that the HK raised suppressor sights are very love / hate. You might want to look into some of the other options on the market if you intend to go raised irons.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know anyone who mills USP slides for RMR type optics. I'm not sure if there is interference with the ejector roll pin or not... I don't have mine in front of me to put my RMR over it to see.

But I can say from experience that the HK raised suppressor sights are very love / hate. You might want to look into some of the other options on the market if you intend to go raised irons.
View Quote

The sights you are talking about are actually very good sights.  When I think adjustable sights, I normally think flimsy, but these are very rock solid feeling....BUT they are not what I would call tactical sights at all.  I have a USP expert, which comes with them, and they work great for what the expert is designed to be...but sights that are blacked out that require you to be in sunlight to use are not what I would want on a defensive pistol.

While I do like mine a lot, if I ever wanted to use mine for home defense or something like that, I would get the adjustable nightsights from meprolight, which work on the expert and the tactical models.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The sights you are talking about are actually very good sights.  When I think adjustable sights, I normally think flimsy, but these are very rock solid feeling....BUT they are not what I would call tactical sights at all.  I have a USP expert, which comes with them, and they work great for what the expert is designed to be...but sights that are blacked out that require you to be in sunlight to use are not what I would want on a defensive pistol.

While I do like mine a lot, if I ever wanted to use mine for home defense or something like that, I would get the adjustable nightsights from meprolight, which work on the expert and the tactical models.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My main qualm is that they are black unmarked sights (no dots) being seen against the top of a black suppressor. Even in sunlight it is hard for me to pick up that front sight blade as it just barely clears my TiRant. WITHOUT the can attached they are as you say, very good "target" sights... but with a can on doing fast fire stuff they are the worst thing ever IMO.

I kind of want to swap mine out for a set of the Heinie straight 8 suppressor sights they make. Or I've been thinking of just getting a set of XS big dot normal height sights and "aiming through the can" like I do with my 92FS and Multimount.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Theses are the ones I had been looking at:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/USP-Tactical-Night-Sight-Fully-Adjustable-p1721.htm#.U0MI7qhdUVU
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Theses are the ones I had been looking at:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/USP-Tactical-Night-Sight-Fully-Adjustable-p1721.htm#.U0MI7qhdUVU
View Quote

Those are the Mepros that Pony was talking about. As far as I know they are very close to the HK target sights mechanically.

I wish Mepro sold the front sight by itself as that is all I really need.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you guys have any recommendations on where to buy HK pistol sights, barrel and so forth?  HKparts seems to have everything, but also some pretty high prices.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Which sights are you specifically looking for? The Mepro suppressor set? If so those sets are almost always in the 145 range.

I just did a cursory glance at the places I usually shop and all of them are right in that wheelhouse for the sights... and relevant to my interests Optics Planet sells the Mepro fronts by themselves... hmmmmm.

As for barrels I see a few of the Tac 45 barrels on eBay and Gunbroker in the 250 - 270 range, which again is par when talking HK parts. I think the Jarvis barrels cost about the same new.

HK stuff is always like the Sig stuff I chase around, it is one part expensive as hell and one part out of stock forever.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Cheapest hk usp9 threaded barrel I found was $215.  http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.asp?prod=R_HK219069

I saw it first on gunbroker but went to their website and they had free shipping.  I ordered one and it should be delivered tomorrow.  Was a little hesitant since it was so much cheaper than other places like hkparts but they had good reviews on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:39:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys.  I ordered the barrel from cmcgov.com for ~$212 shipped.  I also ordered a few minor items from hkparts (usp 45 recoil spring, safety decent).

I need to check out optics planet for the sights.

I'm pretty excited about all of this. I took me MONTHS AND MONTHS to find the LID for my Trident 9.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#13]
(scratch that)
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top