Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2014 11:00:54 AM EDT
Why are some of the HK P7 slides plum or purple colored?
I have a real interest in these pistols and would like to buy a shooter to carry. Should I avoid the plum colored slides?
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Why are some of the HK P7 slides plum or purple colored?
I have a real interest in these pistols and would like to buy a shooter to carry. Should I avoid the plum colored slides?
View Quote

I believe its because of variances in the metal and heat treating. Nothing to worry about.

The internals on the one pictured below appeared to be brand new.

My Plum P7 before:

And after:

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Heat treating.  It happens
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Heat treating. It happens
View Quote

I have never seen it happen on any other pistol slides except for the Tokorev(sp). With the quality of these P7 pistols it is hard to believe they would screw up the heat treating enough to discolor the slides.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
pictures make it appear more purple or discolored than it really is.

Happens with all guns if you make enough of them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have never seen it happen on any other pistol slides except for the Tokorev(sp). With the quality of these P7 pistols it is hard to believe they would screw up the heat treating enough to discolor the slides.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Heat treating. It happens

They didn't screw up the heat treating.  Variations in steel require a quality bluing jobs to have the temperature closely controlled and monitored to control the end result. The purple guns were all remanufactured by HK prior to import with German Govt proof marks removed and quick reblues that didn't achieve the same quality of finish as the original finish.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
pictures make it appear more purple or discolored than it really is.

Happens with all guns if you make enough of them.
View Quote

Nope.

My purple slide P7s would disagree.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I have seen a number of other guns that have similar issues as well. Post-64 Winchester receivers, plenty of small parts and I have a S&W 36 with a nice blue black frame and a purple barrel and cylinder.

ETA: here is my 36, it works fine just doesn't look good.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:34:17 AM EDT
[#8]
That's not a "plum" PSP

That's just a normal bluing that adopted a purple tone.  Lots of guns do that.

Plum PSP's has more of a matte slide from the re finish and also sometimes the former police unit markings ground off.

My P7 was unissued new surplus and only had a purple glint to it in certain light.  Overall a thin black blueing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have seen a number of other guns that have similar issues as well. Post-64 Winchester receivers, plenty of small parts and I have a S&W 36 with a nice blue black frame and a purple barrel and cylinder.

ETA: here is my 36, it works fine just doesn't look good.
<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/gunner284/media/IMG_0336_zpscb8cbe27.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/gunner284/IMG_0336_zpscb8cbe27.jpg</a>
View Quote

Oh no... It looks good. I dig the patina, and the pits.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top