Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2017 5:33:03 PM EDT
I would appreciate any expert knowledge on this 1911.  When the guy said I have an old colt I was hoping for a SAA!
My best guess is a 1920s commercial.  Possibly on a mismatched GI frame?  Thanks in advance.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
All commercial as military guns did not say government model on the frame and the c prefix serial number gives it away. Since the c in the serial number is in the wrong font I suspect it is a refinished frame and the c was buffed off then restamped. Not sure if this is a legal issue with a tampered serial number.
The finish on the slide is very different and not sure if this part of the era when they stamped the serial number of the gun under the firing pin stop may want to check. Either way looks like a $500 beater to me
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting...that is a 1911A1 frame, but the serial number shows with Colt as dating from 1917. The number range is confirmed elsewhere.

I cannot read the right side of the slide; the photo is washed out.

EDIT: That serial number was definitely tampered with. I'm guessing it was originally 1,142,461, which is a Colt 1911A1 manufactured in 1943.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, bad pics.  I offered $600 based on the mix of parts.  I did think that font was weird, but I thought maybe it was right for 1917 commercials.  He said he had an offer of $1050 and I told him to take the money and run.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
It had a GI tanker holster with it.  Anyone want to see?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All commercial as military guns did not say government model on the frame and the c prefix serial number gives it away. Since the c in the serial number is in the wrong font I suspect it is a refinished frame and the c was buffed off then restamped. Not sure if this is a legal issue with a tampered serial number.
The finish on the slide is very different and not sure if this part of the era when they stamped the serial number of the gun under the firing pin stop may want to check. Either way looks like a $500 beater to me
View Quote
While the c is definitely the wrong font the rest of the markings including the government model wording look good so I highly doubt this was ever a military frame. I suspect quite possibly who ever looked up and got a 1917 date for production left off the critical C in the serial number- I see this happen constantly in threads regarding age of guns- if a serial number includes an s c j n whatever you must include it in your research to get correct info.
This gun is worth nothing near a grand. In fact it looks a lot like the imported ones sarco was bringing in from Argentina recently which sold for around $600.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I seem to recall that that font was used on the Argentine 1911 and 1911-A1 pistols.
Colt manufactured early versions of both for the Argentine government.

If so, that's a Colt manufactured Argentine contract frame which someone stamped the Colt commercial "C" on to fake up an American commercial gun.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top