Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 2/5/2017 2:17:40 PM EDT
Bought a Mustang XSP and had my first outing with it this morning.  Planned on firing a box of WWB FMJ through it and then move on to some carry ammunition.  Took the factory colt mags as well as an extended round style I had left over from trying to make it work in a Sig P238 (no go, the follower differences kept that from working).

The WWB FMJ is a slightly flat nosed, in the two factory magazines the flat nose catches on the from inside of the magazine and will not even attempt to feed.  The bullet never gets to the point of touching the feed ramp.

On the older spare mag the front of the magazine is cut in a scallop and front edge is lower compared to the newer mags the gun came with.  The newer mags have a square shoulder with a little bit of a kink in the metal in front.  The newer mags are even hard to unload by hand because the bullet hangs up on the front inside edge of mag unless I pick up on the round a little.

I waited years to try this size gun again, the Sig was so unreliable that it was of no interest to me for a CCW, so I let it go.  I had high hopes for the Colt.

Any thoughts?

Edit: with a little more time looking I can see the newer mags are made so that the front edge of the mag is essentially part of the barrel ramp.

Update.  Talked to Colt a few days after original post.  Told him issue.  He said he had heard of some early production models with feed issue.  In the end he said he would send a couple of mags to me to see if this fixed issue.  Said these should ship in about two weeks.  As of today 2/26 these are not in yet but will start to feel smoke up my ass soon.

Went back out today having played with the gun and buying different ammo.   One mag will not feed the last (6th) round loaded.  Every round put in magazine looks like it makes the follower tilt a little more until the 6th is very flat with no upward angle.  Running it wet with oil helped feeding.  

The new issue is the front sight (dovetail) almost fell out.  I noticed it shooting more left  all the time until I saw sight almost waked out of dovetail.  I can drift the god damned sight with my thumb.

Update - Round two:

Well,  after a few more weeks I wen ahead and modified the mags that came with the pistol.  After disassembly I cut down the front "feed ramp" portion of mag with a dremel and stone and tried again.  At this point the mags ran 100% but I'd be lying If I said I fixed them or running some more was the fix.  I only took down front part of mag about .06" at most.  Who freaking knows.

Also, ordered a set of XS sights tritrium sights.  After removing old I began fitting new.  Rear - no problemo,  take your time and don't loose that little spring the sight retains.  Front sight - FYI - when fitting dovetail the sight is possibly going to hang on the "blade" portion of sight where the top of slide maybe doesn't have a big enough flat milled.  The xs sight in my case was interference fit with the TDC portion of slide outside of t he dovetail.  I caught and made adjustments but could have easily ruined new sight.  FYI - new XS tritrium sight set from amazon not as bright as hoped.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You had problems with the Sig 238?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same Colt pistol and mine has been at the Colt factory waiting warranty repair for 3months..
They sent me a e-mail Friday and stated it was shipped out back to me ..
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#3]
This has been at least 5-7 years ago, but yes, my 238 would stovepipe fairly often and if not stove piping it would crimp the open mouth of the brass on ejection on almost every round.  To start with it was like 7" high and 7" right at 10 yards as well.  I drifted the sights over and got left and right sorted out but never changed front sight out to fix elevation.  Sig was the nitron version with the luminous sights.

I could have sent it in but at the time I got a bad vibe for carrying locked and loaded in a pocket pistol.  Found a guy that wanted it and away it went.

I'm a bit of a Colt fan boy and thought the xsp would hopefully run good out of the box.  Maybe not so much.

I've manual cycled ammo this afternoon and it helps if wet with oil.  Sad to say I got another pistol that I at this point I cant count on.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine had a bad extractor or out of adjustment extractor..Seems according to the internet this is a common problem w the little Mustang..
Hope they have it taken care of..
I am also a BIG Colt fan and really had enjoyed the carry and shooting of the 380 pistol was just everything I wanted..

I have about decided if its not corrected it will be sold and replaced by the Sig 238 or the 9mm 938..
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Latest update.  Today I received the promised magazines from Colt.  Took about 6 weeks but I appreciate Colt following through on the issue (especially after reading about Colt having issues again).

Have had the gun out a few times and it is now running 100%.  Will try the new un modified mags and see if the stock mag was the problem or if it was something else.

Found a desantis holster with spring clip that fits it and have carried it some.  Love the ability to slip IWB and not even know its there.  

Would still like to remove the ambi safety if someone knows how.  The holster covers the safety on the side next to me but leaves the other safety exposed.  I know it could be something I need in a pinch someday but I feel the exposed safety is more of a hazard than me needing to be able to run easily with my left hand.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top