Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2016 6:51:17 PM EDT
I have a 4 inch Python that has a timing issue. Colt has had it for almost a year (I even paid them) and now they have decided they are not going to repair pistols any longer.So I guess I need a good Colt gunsmith that can fix what should be a fairly easy job for someone that know what they are doing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Find dfariswheel
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably Grant Cunningham or Frank Glenn... good luck getting in though. Have your tried your HTF and asked there? There might be a good local smith that others in your area have dealt with. Never hurts to go in a shop and feel a guy out. or you can try http://www.coltforum.com/forums/

Edit:  deleted worthless banter
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I think Colt still supports steel frame revolvers, and if in fact they do, it is the ONLY place I would send one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't mind sending it cross country, Bachelder in Michigan may be worth calling.  Does great work, and can pretty much handle anything that walks through the door.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 12:36:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Colt no longer services older wheel guns like the Python or Detective Special.  I called last month for work on one and they said call Cylinder and Slide.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Colt no longer services older wheel guns like the Python or Detective Special.  I called last month for work on one and they said call Cylinder and Slide.
View Quote

The old guys must have finally retired.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#8]
custom shop inc looks to be a solid option.

customshopinc.com/
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think Colt still supports steel frame revolvers, and if in fact they do, it is the ONLY place I would send one.

View Quote

I sent mine to them a couple years back. They fixed it up, and had it back to me in about a week. Curious why they are stonewalling the OP.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Andy Horvath

Diagonal Road Gunshop

LaGrange Ohio

440-458-4369

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I sent mine to them a couple years back. They fixed it up, and had it back to me in about a week. Curious why they are stonewalling the OP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the guys doing it at Colt probably died
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Read about this on the Colt forum, apparently Colt had been sending their wheelguns to Frank Glenn.  Then Colt announced this month they will no longer service any revolvers other than Gen 3 single action army.

Grant Cunningham says he has retired, can't do manual work with his hands anymore. He is also referring people to Glenn.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#13]
If Colt took your Python in for service they will service it, even thought they're shutting down doing repairs on any new work.

If not Colt Frank Glenn in Arizona is the go-to guy.
He's a Master pistolsmith well known for his Colt revolver work and gets top ratings from customers over on the Colt forum.
His pricing and turnaround are great.

If Colt has your Python and told you they weren't going to do the work, contact Brent Turchi, who's Colt's customer service and Custom Shop manager.
He's very well known for helping resolve issues with Colt work.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was last in touch with Colt I was advised that some of their parts bins are empty.  When they are depleted to a point they were going to end support of the pythons.  Sounds like thy have reached the point.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Contact Karl Sokol if he don't work on'em he knows who will.

http://chestnutmountainsports.net
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Apparently Colt has ceased all double action revolver repairs and will no longer accept any for any work at all.

This seems to have been somewhat of a sudden order from management that caught everyone by surprise, thus taking in guns for repairs then returning them unrepaired.

The best source for Colt DA revolver repairs for quality of work, pricing, and turnaround is Frank Glenn in Arizona.
Another source is Cylinder & Slide Shop, but C&S is expensive, and very slow.
I've also heard reports of C&S using Non-Colt factory type repair techniques that some Colt owners may find objectionable unless all you care about is the gun functioning.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top