Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2016 6:39:05 PM EDT
Saw 2 Pythons at an LGS, 1970s vintage, 100%, 1-4 inch nickel and 1-6 inch blued., $5000.00 each!  I only had $20.00 in my pocket so I had to pass.  Reminds me of the 100% Winchester 9422 I saw at another place for $1000.00.  Makes me wonder if there is someone willing to pay those kinds of prices.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Check closed sales on Gunbroker.  

Yes, there are people willing to pay that for snakes.  Madness.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Python prices have gone utterly stupid!!  
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The Python was a hand built semi-custom gun that was the finest quality DA revolver produced during its life.
It was a legendary revolver that people wanted to own just like owning a Rolex or a English "Best Quality" double gun.
It's now and forever out of production.

It's like trying to buy a 1960's Ferrari and complaining about the stupid high prices.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Well said.  It's a Rolex that shoots.

Txl
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a Rolex that I missed the boat on also
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I had to settle for the Python's kid brother, the Diamondback.

Couldn't stomach the Python pricing.

DSC_5801 by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_5219_Diamondback-lzn by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]
never got a round to buying one and at these prices never will

Over 10 years ago had an urge to buy a new gun and the LGS owner showed me a Series 70 Gold Cup and a Python.  Both were $850.  I chose the Gold Cup
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I wanted a 6" Python really badly back in the 80's. Back then, you could buy a brand new one around here for $525.00. I was about $500 short back then.  

I still don't own one. I still want one. But, I can't bring myself to pay the kind of prices they're bringing now.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:47:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Over 10 years ago had an urge to buy a new gun and the LGS owner showed me a Series 70 Gold Cup and a Python.  Both were $850.  I chose the Gold Cup
View Quote
Reminds of Hulk Hogans story when he was asked about endorsing a grill or a sports shake maker which he decided on. Of course George Foreman chose what was left, the rest is history.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#10]
The majority of Pythons for sale are out of time. And few gunsmiths know how to fix them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The majority of Pythons for sale are out of time. And few gunsmiths know how to fix them.
View Quote

Add to this that Colt won't service them anymore either.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Reminds of Hulk Hogans story when he was asked about endorsing a grill or a sports shake maker which he decided on. Of course George Foreman chose what was left, the rest is history.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Love the 'Cup though, no ragrets

Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I would much rather have a S&W registered magnum than a Python.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's a registered magnum? Never heard of it. Destinguished Magnum maybe?
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#15]
For those who missed the Python boat and want one, the original .357 Trooper or the Colt 3-5-7 Model are essentially the same gun.

The original Trooper and 3-5-7 are often called "poor man's Pythons" because they use the exact same frame and action, only with a tapered round barrel and without the better action tuning and Royal Blue finish.
The Trooper and 3-5-7 often had the narrow Service hammer and Service grips, and these days a lot of Colt's that had the Target grips have had them removed for sale at crazy prices and replaced with crap grips.

The original Trooper used the older Colt "E" frame with the firing pin on the hammer and was made only in .38 Special and .22LR, but still it had the same action and frame size as the Python.
The post-1961 Trooper was made in .38 Special and .357 Magnum and used the same "I" frame as the Python.
These are not to be confused with the later Trooper Mark III and Trooper Mark V which are totally different guns and actions.

Trooper .38 Specials can be picked up at very reasonable prices, and the .357 Trooper and 3-5-7 Model are well under Python prices by hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Colt original Trooper with Service hammer and grips.  Also made with Target hammer and grips.  Made in early version in .38 Special and .22LR and in later "I" frame version in .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

Colt 357 Model.  That was both the name and caliber.  The Python is simply the 357 with the Python barrel, slightly more tuned action and the Royal Blue finish.

Link Posted: 11/7/2016 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

For those who missed the Python boat and want one, the original .357 Trooper or the Colt 3-5-7 Model are essentially the same gun.

The original Trooper and 3-5-7 are often called "poor man's Pythons" because they use the exact same frame and action, only with a tapered round barrel and without the better action tuning and Royal Blue finish.

The Trooper and 3-5-7 often had the narrow Service hammer and Service grips, and these days a lot of Colt's that had the Target grips have had them removed for sale at crazy prices and replaced with crap grips.

The original Trooper used the older Colt "E" frame with the firing pin on the hammer and was made only in .38 Special and .22LR, but still it had the same action and frame size as the Python.

The post-1961 Trooper was made in .38 Special and .357 Magnum and used the same "I" frame as the Python.

These are not to be confused with the later Trooper Mark III and Trooper Mark V which are totally different guns and actions.

Trooper .38 Specials can be picked up at very reasonable prices, and the .357 Trooper and 3-5-7 Model are well under Python prices by hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Colt original Trooper with Service hammer and grips.  Also made with Target hammer and grips.  Made in early version in .38 Special and .22LR and in later "I" frame version in .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/dfariswheel/Trooper_zpstzlebiyb.jpg

Colt 357 Model.  That was both the name and caliber.  The Python is simply the 357 with the Python barrel, slightly more tuned action and the Royal Blue finish.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/dfariswheel/Trooper%20Target_zpsyhr3m0di.jpg

View Quote

Grandpa left me these Officer Models.  38Special and 22 Match

Link Posted: 11/7/2016 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Nope, registered magnum was the precursor to the models 27 and 28.  The old 38-44 was replaced by the magnum which came with registration cards.  Iirc they were 1 of Thousand originally and that number was on the registration card and by the crane.  Send the card and you got the letter from S&W.  My good friend has an early one with the letter to the original owner.   The "registered" moniker stuck.  They are very nice magnums.  Stout.   The 38-44 was a bad idea as the 38-44 was an overloaded 38 special and the factory 38-44 ammo would trash a basic 38 special hence the next step the magnum.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nope, registered magnum was the precursor to the models 27 and 28.  The old 38-44 was replaced by the magnum which came with registration cards.  Iirc they were 1 of Thousand originally and that number was on the registration card and by the crane.  Send the card and you got the letter from S&W.  My good friend has an early one with the letter to the original owner.   The "registered" moniker stuck.  They are very nice magnums.  Stout.   The 38-44 was a bad idea as the 38-44 was an overloaded 38 special and the factory 38-44 ammo would trash a basic 38 special hence the next step the magnum.
View Quote

Cool. Thanks for the lesson. Learned something today.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#19]
If you look at the closed sales on GB, specifically the no reserve auctions that actually sell, the going rate is in the $2000 to $2500 range.  Most dealers have Pythons locked in with huge reserve prices and most of them just sit there.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://www.speedmph.com/Colt/Colt_38_01.JPG

http://www.speedmph.com/Colt/Colt_22_07.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/dfariswheel/Trooper_zpstzlebiyb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/dfariswheel/Trooper%20Target_zpsyhr3m0di.jpg

http://www.speedmph.com/Colt/Colt_38_01.JPG

http://www.speedmph.com/Colt/Colt_22_07.JPG

Recently picked up an extremely clean 38 Trooper, with target hammer and girps,  from that era for $650.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.guns.com/2012/02/07/the-smith-a-wessons-registered-magnum-possibly-the-finest-handgun-ever-made/
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#22]
everyone owns a 686 or gp100 but years from now when the walking dead reruns get released to another generation the pythons value will just keep going up. Comic nerds will pay top dollar for hero guns. safe queens that increase in value are never bad.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Hmmm.  I have a 4" and 6" blued in outstanding condition.

Maybe I should sell mine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a 6" NIB Python. I got it from my best friend that passed away three years ago. He got it from his grandpa that bought it new in 1977. They could be $10k and I wouldn't sell.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I know where there's a Bicentennial set that comes with a SAA, Walker and a Python with matching sn's for $5800. The cylinders haven't even been turned.

I couldn't handle something like that. I doubt I could resist the urge to shoot them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I had to settle for the Python's kid brother, the Diamondback.

Couldn't stomach the Python pricing.

DSC_5801 by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_5219_Diamondback-lzn by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

Around here, all thing being equal, a Diamondback is more expensive than Python.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had my 4" royal blue Python for 5 years now and enjoy shooting it! Prices have gone up since I got mine even, wow!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a pair of BEAUTIFUL Colt Diamondbacks a couple years ago.  A 4" nickel and a 4" blued in box.  Sold them both for around 1500 each.  Wish I held onto the nickel one though.  Beautiful gun but I like my Smiths better.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The Python was a hand built semi-custom gun that was the finest quality DA revolver produced during its life.
It was a legendary revolver that people wanted to own just like owning a Rolex or a English "Best Quality" double gun.
It's now and forever out of production.

It's like trying to buy a 1960's Ferrari and complaining about the stupid high prices.
View Quote

You sure about that??  Don't speak too soon as they are tooling up the machines to make some revolvers again.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeak, at that price I am thinking it was "over ten years ago" like 10 or 15 OVER ten years
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top