Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2016 7:07:54 PM EDT
I'm looking to pick up one of the new Colt Competition 1911's. I have a few questions though:

What size fiber optic rod does the front sight accept? I'd like to replace the blue rod with a red one.

To replace the colt dual recoil spring setup with a standard recoil spring, would I just need a GI guide rod, recoil spring plug, and recoil spring?

Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

To replace the colt dual recoil spring setup with a standard recoil spring, would I just need a GI guide rod, recoil spring plug, and recoil spring?

Thanks for any input!
View Quote

I believe you are correct.  Btw, if you feel like selling the old parts, please let me know...
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm looking to pick up one of the new Colt Competition 1911's. I have a few questions though:

What size fiber optic rod does the front sight accept? I'd like to replace the blue rod with a red one.

Thanks for any input!
View Quote

I bought one last week it comes with 3 extra lite pipes 1 extra blue, 1 red and 1 green. I swapped mine out for green because that's what I have on my Vickers G17 and I prefer green. It also has a standard GI style short guide rod and plug, but uses a dual recoil spring setup which I'm not really sure why they did that. I plan on changing the recoil spring out for a lighter one anyway as I shoot 124G Extreme Bullets that I load to about 1050fps and are very mild to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I just picked one up on Sat in stainless in 9mm with the blue Colt grips also got some spare Wilson mags , took it home wiped it down and lubed it up to go . has a nice trigger . How has yours been ??????????
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Tried it out today gun was flawless , but failed to lock open on last round a couple times . will this clear up ???????????
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Gave the Colt 9mm a good clean up and put a light oil around the slide lock and detent it ran flawless today locked open every mag.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Picked one up about a month ago. Have about 350 or so rounds through it. Pistol broken in at this point with no mods, had a fair share of FTL's for the first few hundred rounds.

I did do a full break down and I mean every last pin. The internals had a decent amount of that brown shipping grease. Even the inside of the mag release had the brown grease in it.

It is running reliably at this point, now i just need to shoot the crap out of it.

Top target is wife shooting her DW Guardian, bottom target is me with CC 9MM. 10 yards

I will be tuning trigger for the first mod, just waiting on a few tools from Brownells.

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:14:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Picked one up about a month ago. Have about 350 or so rounds through it. Pistol broken in at this point with no mods, had a fair share of FTL's for the first few hundred rounds.

I did do a full break down and I mean every last pin. The internals had a decent amount of that brown shipping grease. Even the inside of the mag release had the brown grease in it.

It is running reliably at this point, now i just need to shoot the crap out of it.

Top target is wife shooting her DW Guardian, bottom target is me with CC 9MM. 10 yards

I will be tuning trigger for the first mod, just waiting on a few tools from Brownells.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz206/Conched/20161119_182415.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz206/Conched/20161119_125151.jpg
View Quote

was your front site centered on the dovetail?

I got one and can't get around to shooting it till later this week

Site looks like this

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#8]
My sights were centered.

It appears that yours are off centered although the pic is angled. Take a few shots using a bag or block and see how it groups. You may have to get that sight drifted over a bit. A competent smith can do the calculation.

The POI will be more dramatically impacted as you shoot further out so I would start the target out at least 10 yards.

What a PITA. Colt will fix it.

I bought a ruler 1022 like that and the LGS where I bought it from fixed it at no charge.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tried it out today gun was flawless , but failed to lock open on last round a couple times . will this clear up ???????????
View Quote

Bet its mags the 8rd are especially bad.
My colt mags were sold to help fund tripps.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:55:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My sights were centered.

It appears that yours are off centered although the pic is angled. Take a few shots using a bag or block and see how it groups. You may have to get that sight drifted over a bit. A competent smith can do the calculation.

The POI will be more dramatically impacted as you shoot further out so I would start the target out at least 10 yards.

What a PITA. Colt will fix it.

I bought a ruler 1022 like that and the LGS where I bought it from fixed it at no charge.
View Quote

That's a stock photo I found on the net but looks identical to mine except mine came with the red fiber optic instead of the blue.  The rear sight also looks like it's a bit to the left as well.  Even if it's dead on accurate this bugs the crap out of me.  I'll shoot it this Thursday or Friday and see what a local smith can do for it if not the slide's going back to Colt.

Otherwise the fit and finish of the Competition is flawless.  It's a work of art.

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Hopefully the LGS can help you out. if you do have to send it back, I would send the whole pistol.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#12]
You did not State caliber? I have the 9mm version. I replaced my dual recoil spring and guide with one from Wilson Combat for a 9mm 1911. They have the same setup for the 45 as well. I like it a lot better with the Wilson setup with a single spring. I reused the recoil spring plug that came with the gun. I also replaced my front sight pipe with a green one that came extra with my CC i had to cut it to length and heat up the ends, what a difference the green made over that blue thing. I also replaced my Grips with some gray and black VZ Grips.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I just picked one up in 38 Super as I've always wanted a 38 Super, have not had a chance to shoot it yet, its at the my simith getting a ambi Wilson BP safety as I'm a lefty.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#14]
About a month ago I bought the stainless steel Competition model in 9mm it had the Red fiber optic installed from the factory.
So far have run 700 rounds without issue also installed a Colt arched main spring housing.

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is a pic of the Competition Series dual recoil springs, guide rod,  barrel bushing, slide and 9MM NM barrel.

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
About a month ago I bought the stainless steel Competition model in 9mm it had the Red fiber optic installed from the factory.
So far have run 700 rounds so far without issue and also installed a Colt arched main spring housing.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f116/mt6551/AR15/IMG_3350.jpg
View Quote
Yep. Red insert coming from the factory now - I bought mine (blued .45) last month, and red was installed. Blue/green/extra red are provided.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Not sure why they put a black trigger in the stainless model and silver in the blued?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been wanting another 1911 and when they changed the Competition to Blued from matte black I knew I wanted it. Tuesday it arrived.

Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#19]
My beauty with new grips. Almost too pretty to shoot.

Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My beauty with new grips. Almost too pretty to shoot.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4397/36922336041_a37511c631_z.jpg
View Quote
I like that. One in .45 is on my list.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m dreaming of one in .45 also.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Do these have steel mainspring housings?
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#23]
They have plastic (Delrin) mainspring housings.

I replaced mine with a Smith & Alexander magwell MSH.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Just got mine in 45 ($800). Red FO sights (gonna be heinie straight 8s soon).
The trigger has a lot of wobble up and down and a little side to side, and the thumb safety is loose when depressed (my thumb can press it down another few millimeters though it is under spring pressure).
Already ordered a Harrison short black trigger and a Dan Wesson Blued thumb safety.

I’m also gonna look at a full length guide rod (mainly because I just like the idea and am used to them on every pistol I’ve owned for 25 years), but all this 1911 stuff is new to me, so I gotta figure out what to buy and then how to install all this stuff.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 1:55:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Full length guide rods limit your ability to clear malfunctions and rack one handed by placing the lower edge of the slide ( recoils sling plug) against a firm surface to chamber a round one handed or clear a stubborn malfunction. I would stick with the GI style set up
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Bought a used one with some upgrades off the EE.
SS .45 w/ 25LPI frontstrap checkering and fire control upgrades. Can’t wait to get it in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:48:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks for any input!
View Quote
As stated, it comes with spare fibers, although if you call Colt I'm told they will send more too (some were missing on early pistols).

First ones were series 80, later came the series 70. Finish changes at that time as well.

I do not believe you would need a new guide rod or any other parts except a new spring.

Mine is a series 80 .45 in the matte black finish. I have no complaints, it is a lot of 1911 for the price I paid. I did swap the fiber to green since that is what I'm accustomed to and it worked much better than the blue the gun shipped with. I've been very satisfied.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top