Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 10/11/2015 12:35:41 PM EDT
With the recent discontinuation/extinction of almost the entire XSE line, I ordered a stainless frame Commander last night.  I shot a friends Commander xse and was impressed.  His gun ate his reloads, my reloads, and steel cased without issue.  Trigger was good and pretty accurate with our reloads.  The xse commander is rare locally and I've seen them become difficult to find even on the Internet lately.  Last week the commander xse in stainless steel showed up on a number of bigger online vendors sites.  I counted out my play money box, checked the couch for spare change and emptied out the ash tray in my truck and bought one.

Any issues with current manufacture?  In my research, I ran across a few complaints of the front sight coming loose, but those complaints are from about 6 years ago.  Sounds like Colt addressed that problem...

Sight dovetails are cut for Novak sights?  If I wanted to change the front sight to a FO, a Novak front will fit?

Grip screw bushings are regular size, not slim?  Are the bushings staked or Lok-tited in?

Thanks everyone for reading.  This is my first commander sized 1911, and I can't wait to get my grubby hands on it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about the front sight dovetail - I thought I heard it was slightly different than standard Novak but could be wrong
Standard grip screw bushings and can honestly say my most recent colt purchase is the only 1911 I have ever owned where at least one bushing did not come off when removing grips! Not sure if staked or lock tight but they are solid.
If the quality of your pistol is anything like the m45a1 I bought last year you will be a happy man
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Capt'n.
I appreciate your time.  I bought a Colt CCG last year and was impressed with it's accuracy, fit and finish.  
Plus it looks damn good.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought the Colt 1911 Commander XSE last week as well. I am very impressed with the quality, fit and finish of  the gun. I talked with a Colt Rep tis morning just before I purchased a new 1911 Government Model in Hard Chrome. Man, I have always liked Colts and the 1911 but the guns they are turning out now are the best I've seen ever.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks S-AR10 for replying.  It sounds like your new gun is a keeper.  I have no doubt mine will be too.
My concerns are minor, and not a deal breaker in any way.  I ordered regular (not slim) Ahrend grips and hoped the new grips would fit the bushings without change.
The front sight might be an issue, but I'll try it first.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Gun arrived Thursday, and I picked it up on Friday.
Very solid.  I was not thrilled to find the ambi safety.  My understanding was it went to a single sided safety for 2015, but there it is.  I'll try it and see.  (FFL dealer said Colt might be using all parts on hand)
And speaking of the ambi safety, one word comes to mind.  Stiff.  Most of last night was spent watching movies and operating the safety.  And some fine filing.
Safety can now be engaged and disengaged with my 1 thumb.
Snick on-snick off.
Originally it was a project to apply or disengage the safety.  An unsafe safety.

Grip screw bushings are regular size and staked in place.  I changed the rosewood grips for ebony.
Novak dimension front sight dovetail.  That one was a true surprise.  I measured 3 times with 2 different calipers.  I just didn't expect it on my gun, even though I had read Colt was going to a true Novak dovetail.

I'm sick as a dog right now.  Don't dare leave my warm, comfy house but I NEED to shoot this gun.
Another crappy cell phone picture

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top