Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 8/22/2015 5:37:14 AM EDT
It was the first one I can remember in over 5 years.  I was at a local pawn shop and they had a nice Python 2 1/2" barrel, gun only, for $2200.  I was shocked to say the least.  Really made me wish I had purchased the few 4" Pythons I ran across years ago.  I went back two days later and it was gone.  When someone spends that much are they shooting it or just making an investment these days?  The few people I have talked to that own them keep them put up, I'm not sure if they even own ammo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:01:23 AM EDT
[#1]
NRA rifleman just had a article about all the snake guns going crazy in the last 8 years. Some have been selling close to 10k

2200 might not be too bad especially since it's a 2.5"
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The short barrel guns were all small production and some distributor specials . One should research to insure it went out of the factory with that barrel (not faked after)

Collectors want guns as done by the factory

Yeah , if the gun was in good shape you should have grabbed it up
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NRA rifleman just had a article about all the snake guns going crazy in the last 8 years. Some have been selling close to 10k

View Quote

Just read that mag last night. Had I only been smarter in my younger days.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me about it. I am a smith guy but had a local shop with a Snake Eyes set of pythons for 1200$ if I remember right. If you aren't familiar that's a pair of 2.5" pythons one deep blued and one high polish stainless(or maybe nickel) with fake ivory grips one portraying rice and one portraying a royal flush. Set is probably worth a million bucks now

It wouldn't have mattered much to me because at that age I would have shot the shit out of them like the good lord Sam Colt intended
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I just saw a chromed 4" and a 6" Royal blue at a shop in Scottsdale; needless to say, it was a little out of my budget.

Like $3000 out of my budget.

But they looked unfired and they had the original box and literature...

Dammit with all those Arizonans with money.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
A used 3" bright stainless sold for $23,500 on Gunbroker last fall.  Pythons are indeed "going crazy".
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A used 3" bright stainless sold for $23,500 on Gunbroker last fall.  Pythons are indeed "going crazy".
View Quote

The article stated several over 10k and one over 20 if I remember right.

Insanity.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Before that Walking Dead show came on the air, you could find Pythons for under 1k all day long. I have owned three of them, all purchased in the early 2000s. I didn't pay over $600 for any of them. Wish I still had them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife picked one up for me on our anniversary in 2007.  I think she paid $1200.00.  Since then they have gone through the roof.  Mine is a 1981.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I've posted about this before, but I still haven't emotionally recovered from hearing the news that my wife's grandfather sold his Python just last year for $200, the price he paid for it many decades ago.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]
My buddy just bought a Python. $400 out the door. We took it to the range a few weeks ago and shot it. Him and I both believe there's no point in owning a gun you can't shoot.

I passed on a Winchester 66 even though I wanted it because its a display gun. I want to shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#12]
a python in 2 inch barrel is very desirable for those of us addicted to wheel guns, especially if they already have a more common python.  
$2,200 is steep, but is not bad for a python is good shape.

Here is my python story:
I was searching for a python a while back and got a chrome 6 inch for $1,500. I shot it a few times but is spends most of the the safe.
Then last year I saw a nice chrome 6 inch at the g-store on consignment for $1,500 in great shape. Did I need another python, no, did
I snag a second one, you betcha.

So now I have a safe queen and one I shoot. Guns are meant to be shot, and shooting a python is pure joy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I've posted about this before, but I still haven't emotionally recovered from hearing the news that my wife's grandfather sold his Python just last year for $200, the price he paid for it many decades ago.

View Quote

Dude...I am never going to recover from hearing this.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I still don't own one.

And probably never will unless I just get lucky.

The internet has taught people how to get the best bang for their bucks!

A "snake Eyes" set is probably north of $25K now.  Probably closer to $40K if pristine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I started collecting Pythons in 1976. I paid between 300 and 400 for most of them. At one time I had 16 of them in Blue, Nickel, and Stainless. I had the 2.5", 4", 6" and 8" lengths plus a couple of the special 38 models.

My daughter started College and they all went away to pay her way. I averaged 600 to 800 each doubling my investment.

This is what I have left, a 6" nickel (my wifes python I gave her in 1985. A 4" blue I bought off a county sheriff in 1978 for $50 because it had a bulged barrel. A $50 dollar barrel from Colt and it has been running smoothly ever since.  Finally a 4" diamondback in 22LR I picked up from a pawn shop in 1979 for $100 because it was slightly rusty.

My boss started collecting them and recently sold most of the them for 30k to a collector.

Great guns and great memories for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:36:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I started collecting Pythons in 1976. I paid between 300 and 400 for most of them. At one time I had 16 of them in Blue, Nickel, and Stainless. I had the 2.5", 4", 6" and 8" lengths plus a couple of the special 38 models.

My daughter started College and they all went away to pay her way. I averaged 600 to 800 each doubling my investment.

This is what I have left, a 6" nickel (my wifes python I gave her in 1985. A 4" blue I bought off a county sheriff in 1978 for $50 because it had a bulged barrel. A $50 dollar barrel from Colt and it has been running smoothly ever since.  Finally a 4" diamondback in 22LR I picked up from a pawn shop in 1979 for $100 because it was slightly rusty.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/18_Zulu/Pythons%20001.jpg

My boss started collecting them and recently sold most of the them for 30k to a collector.

Great guns and great memories for me.
View Quote

Nice looking trio.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top