Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 7/1/2015 5:58:50 AM EDT
I have a used Colt 1991 Government pistol that I would like to send to Colt's Custom Shop and have a "XSE" type slide, with the Novak sights, installed and fitted to the current frame... Would they do that type of work??

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If all you want it for is the Novak sights, it would be a lot more cost effective to just have them put on your slide. Colt would do it as would Novak's shop. Most any competent gunsmith would also be able to do it. It's a pretty common job and really not that expensive. Novaks will even let you send them just the slide.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  

I basically like the "XSE" slide with the angled serrations cuts on both the front and rear verses the Colt's 1991 slide, which has the more "original" vertical serrations at the rear of the slide.  I also want to keep the pistol "Colt" as much as possible.  So, going with a non-Colt slide isn't an option or having the 1991's slide recut for the Novak sights isn't going to work for me.

...Yes, I'll admit that its more of a cosmetic thing with me!!  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#3]
In that case it would be more cost effective to just buy an XSE. They can still be found at decent prices.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#4]
What you want to do it basically this a Colt CCG Conceal Carry Government model that is a 1991 with Novak sights,
NM Barrel, Beavertail Grip Safety, Enhanced Hammer, Extended Thumb Safety, Finger Relief under the trigger and Slim Line Grips.
I've got one and it's a awesome shooter also added the arched main spring housing.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Of course!  I sent my WWI commemorative O1918 back for an ejection issue.  They upgraded the slide with some rollmark I have never seen  One more trip and I had the correct slide back, but you can see daylight between the base of the front sight and the slide.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of course!  I sent my WWI commemorative O1918 back for an ejection issue.  They upgraded the slide with some rollmark I have never seen  One more trip and I had the correct slide back, but you can see daylight between the base of the front sight and the slide.  
View Quote

Just out of curiosity, what did the roll mark look like?
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It was a 100 years of service roll mark.  I don't recall exactly what was on it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What you want to do it basically this a Colt CCG Conceal Carry Government model that is a 1991 with Novak sights,
NM Barrel, Beavertail Grip Safety, Enhanced Hammer, Extended Thumb Safety, Finger Relief under the trigger and Slim Line Grips.
I've got one and it's a awesome shooter also added the arched main spring housing.

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ColtCCG00.jpg
View Quote

I loved that pistol so much I wrote an article about it!

Got some flak for swapping out the mainspring housing before I reviewed the gun, but there's always at least one "sour grapes" guy out there with something to say.

I wish Colt would put them back in the lineup, because I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In that case it would be more cost effective to just buy an XSE. They can still be found at decent prices.
View Quote

+1, then OP will have a Colt 1911 for each hand.  
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top