Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 6/21/2015 4:33:44 PM EDT
Cabelas was offering Ivory grips with the Colt Logo for $ 399 (1911).  Any thoughts on the pricing?  

Cabelas had a sign that stated they could only sell these grips to Pennsylvania Residents. Can't Ivory grips cross state lines?

The pistols look nice with the grips, but does it really enhance the value - especially if the Colt didn't come from the factory with them installed?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I think someone would be an idiot to pay that for any kind of grips.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
A few years back, a decent set of ivories would cost half that much.

So, they do seem to be rising nicely.

Who knows if they will continue to do so or not.

I suspect they would appreciate better and sell better by themselves, the pistol is almost irrelevant.  (Though, of course it will appreciate/depreciate based upon its own merits and condition).

If you want them I would say you would be safe buying them.  You won't lose much and might actually gain over the next few years.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#3]
If you get ivories, pass on embellishing them with medallions.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a pair I ordered from Nutmeg I believe.  Nice grips with the Colt logo in it as well.  They are currently on a new production series 70.

Shipped to my door for $75 cheaper.

Ivory could very easily become more valuable in the future.  I doubt it will EVER get cheaper though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would you want this,  so it can go with any 1911?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a pair I ordered from Nutmeg I believe.  Nice grips with the Colt logo in it as well.  They are currently on a new production series 70.

Shipped to my door for $75 cheaper.

Ivory could very easily become more valuable in the future.  I doubt it will EVER get cheaper though.
View Quote

Does Nutmeg supply them to Colt?  I have a new Series 70, but it came with wood grips.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I had ivories for mine at one time. They looked great, but I never used them. For me I'd go with Ivorex same look at 1/8 the cost.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That and because medallions are garish.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I have Ivories from Nutmeg Sports I bought some years back. I have them on a Blued Les Baer and they look really great. Over the years the ageing process just makes them look better.
With that said the gun is a safe queen and doesn't come out that often due to the amount spent on gun and grips.
For everyday carry. Houge grips makes a reasonable non ivory version and offers it with choice of scrimshaw designs. Have this on a Colt CCO and its looks great and is much more durable for daily use.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#10]
That's a good price for ivory grips -- especially if they have Colt's escutcheons on them.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top