Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2015 1:38:34 AM EDT
I saw it posted on a local gun group, guy wanted to trade, 1966 Colt Detective Special. I've been thinking of picking up a colt or smith from that era, just for cool factor in my gun collection. i offered him my sig P290 that i just bought for no reason and had no intentions of ever using. i paid $268 for the sig. Met him tonight and traded. Its not in perfect condition but its good enough for what i wanted it for. Got it home and ran the serial, its actually a 1961. The finish is worn, as this has obviously been carried a bit, but no rust or pitting that i can see. I may not have made a good deal, but in my head im satisfied with it.

So, since i bought it for "just to have" reasons, would it be stupid of me to send it to colt and have it redone in whatever finish was period correct? (is it the regular bluing or royal blue?) Should I send it to colt and have it inspected and checked? My plan for it is to make it my own and be able to pass it down to kids and so forth. I dont have any intentions of ever selling it. I also am looking at getting that archival research done from colt, because i would be interested to see if it was originally sold to a dealer or a police department.

overall, im very happy and proud to finally own a colt revolver!
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I love old Colts. It might be worth it to send it back to Colt for a checkup.

You got any pics?
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice for a first revolver purchase.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like good, honest wear on that. It doesn't look like it has been abused. As long as it locks up tight, I might just leave it like that.......
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure what if any reputation Colt has at this point for service.

I am from the crowd you that thinks you got a decent honest revolver at a good deal . Shoot it and have some fun with it as is .

If you wanted a pretty collectors piece you should go buy one. Refinish (even at the factory) might be pretty but likely will never be worth what you will have in it
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Are the grips mismatched? Because one is gold and one is silver
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I would say the right grip is just worn down from being carried.

I wouldn't surprised if it turned out to be a cop's gun at one time........
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I would keep it as is... The price to reblue it would add to your investment and probably lower it's value.

Just enjoy it as it is.

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Add a Tyler T-grip and call it good.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#10]
will firing this be okay with modern SD loads (non +P), specifically hornady critical defense? it wont be something i carry but i like to keep some SD ammo on hand for every gun i own (within reason).
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
will firing this be okay with modern SD loads (non +P), specifically hornady critical defense? it wont be something i carry but i like to keep some SD ammo on hand for every gun i own (within reason).
View Quote

I wouldn't have any problem firing it with modern SD loads.... As long as the revolver is in good and solid working condition.

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top