Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2015 12:19:21 AM EDT
Think this would be a decent buy? Got an offer from an LGS for $550 out the door.

Not a fan of .380 but the idea of of adding a Colt to the collection and as a possible pocket gun does intrigue me. Anyone here have any hands on?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Looked at one  awhile ago. Gun is too small to reach safety. I ended up with the Glock 42. This gun is plain awesome. Very accurate, very reliable. No recoil at all. Everything the Walther PPK wish it could be.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:40:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh and I am a Big Colt Fan too. I would probably buy a turd it it was stamped "COLT"
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:13:29 AM EDT
[#3]
What? This isn't about a Glock, if I wanted to hear about Glocks I'd be in the Glock forum.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:35:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Reviews I have read so far look good. I want the little stainless steel mini-defender version (O6891). Would go nicely with it's big brother.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Think this would be a decent buy? Got an offer from an LGS for $550 out the door.

Not a fan of .380 but the idea of of adding a Colt to the collection and as a possible pocket gun does intrigue me. Anyone here have any hands on?
View Quote

If your looking at the O6790 version Buds has them for $469 and they let you make an offer on that price. I'm tempted to try one also
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What? This isn't about a Glock, if I wanted to hear about Glocks I'd be in the Glock forum.
View Quote

Yea , id go Glock also. I just dont understand the whole cocked and locked single action thing  for a pocket pistol which is made for very close encounters You dont need a thumb  safety or a single action trigger.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yea , id go Glock also. I just dont understand the whole cocked and locked single action thing  for a pocket pistol which is made for very close encounters You dont need a thumb  safety or a single action trigger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like Glocks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had my Mustang for many years. I carry it more than my other carry pistols combined.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I have never owned a pocket pistol.  I normally carry a G19, a Sig P228, or a Smith 442.  Since moving to NC and enduring the hateful summers, I decided to get my first 380.

So I looked around.   My GF carried a Smith Bodyguard off duty.  I liked it; it was light, decent trigger.  Almost got one.   Although she has never had problems with hers I read enough online to make me weary.  Being a Sig man I looked at the P238.  Too blocky.   So being a Colt fan I checked out the Mustang.  Specifically the XSP model.  Wow.

I picked it up a few weeks ago.  The grip is perfect.  I get a solid two finger grip on it.  The magazine baseplate is small and does not move around.  No pinch.  It is a well-made pistol.  The slide is milled from SS and finished in DLC.  The barrel is of normal Colt quality.  I believe Colt makes some of the best pistol barrels.  It came with two stainless Metalfom made Colt marked magazines.  I bought two blued Metalform mags from Greg Cote.  

After I got it home I cleaned and lubed it.  There seems to be an aluminum chassis in the polymer frame that the slide rides on.  The safety was tough to engage, but after I realized it blocked the hammer and not the sear I understood.  When you engage the safety it lifts the hammer ever so slightly off of the sear.  Flicking the safety off is easier and you know when you do it.  I like the grip.  It is wider in the rear, and narrow in the front.  The checkering is perfect.  Not too sharp, not too smooth.  The deeply undercut trigger guard makes for a comfortable grip.

I fired 154 rounds last week.  100 rounds of Geco 95gr FMJ, 26 rounds of Remington 88gr JHP, 18 rounds of Speer GDHP and ten rounds of my buddies reloads.  All rounds were fired through the two factory and two aftermarket mags except for the hollow points.  I fired all of those through the factory Colt Mags.  

It was flawless.   There is no recoil.  I could have fired another 100 rounds if I had them.  I even shot it one handed, and it was great.  At seven yards I can easily put all six in a palm sized target.  

As for the single action in my pocket…no worries.  This gun is safe.  I am currently carrying it in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.   I will weigh it officially but with a magazine of Speer 90gr Gold Dots and the holster it comes in at 16 oz.  One pound.

I love this pistol.  Light weight, great fit, reliable.  

ETA: The sights.  Kinda like the old GI ones.  Not bad, but not good.  The Sig had the Colt there.  On the XSP they are dovetailed and Novak does sell replacements.  I do think the front is too wide for the rear.  I had a hard time focusing on the front blade when it took up all of the rear notch.  I painted the front sight white.  We'll see how it goes next outing.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have never owned a pocket pistol.  I normally carry a G19, a Sig P228, or a Smith 442.  Since moving to NC and enduring the hateful summers, I decided to get my first 380.

So I looked around.   My GF carried a Smith Bodyguard off duty.  I liked it; it was light, decent trigger.  Almost got one.   Although she has never had problems with hers I read enough online to make me weary.  Being a Sig man I looked at the P238.  Too blocky.   So being a Colt fan I checked out the Mustang.  Specifically the XSP model.  Wow.

I picked it up a few weeks ago.  The grip is perfect.  I get a solid two finger grip on it.  The magazine baseplate is small and does not move around.  No pinch.  It is a well-made pistol.  The slide is milled from SS and finished in DLC.  The barrel is of normal Colt quality.  I believe Colt makes some of the best pistol barrels.  It came with two stainless Metalfom made Colt marked magazines.  I bought two blued Metalform mags from Greg Cote.  

After I got it home I cleaned and lubed it.  There seems to be an aluminum chassis in the polymer frame that the slide rides on.  The safety was tough to engage, but after I realized it blocked the hammer and not the sear I understood.  When you engage the safety it lifts the hammer ever so slightly off of the sear.  Flicking the safety off is easier and you know when you do it.  I like the grip.  It is wider in the rear, and narrow in the front.  The checkering is perfect.  Not too sharp, not too smooth.  The deeply undercut trigger guard makes for a comfortable grip.

I fired 154 rounds last week.  100 rounds of Geco 95gr FMJ, 26 rounds of Remington 88gr JHP, 18 rounds of Speer GDHP and ten rounds of my buddies reloads.  All rounds were fired through the two factory and two aftermarket mags except for the hollow points.  I fired all of those through the factory Colt Mags.  

It was flawless.   There is no recoil.  I could have fired another 100 rounds if I had them.  I even shot it one handed, and it was great.  At seven yards I can easily put all six in a palm sized target.  

As for the single action in my pocket…no worries.  This gun is safe.  I am currently carrying it in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.   I will weigh it officially but with a magazine of Speer 90gr Gold Dots and the holster it comes in at 16 oz.  One pound.

I love this pistol.  Light weight, great fit, reliable.  

ETA: The sights.  Kinda like the old GI ones.  Not bad, but not good.  The Sig had the Colt there.  On the XSP they are dovetailed and Novak does sell replacements.  I do think the front is too wide for the rear.  I had a hard time focusing on the front blade when it took up all of the rear notch.  I painted the front sight white.  We'll see how it goes next outing.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/661/8neEnh.jpg    

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/540/67jwRm.jpg
View Quote
You review just sold me, thank you for your honesty and time, most positive and refreshing to hear from an actual user.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I am glad you found this review helpful.  I took it to the range today and fired another 170 rounds.  100 of the GECO 95gr FMJ, 25 Hornady Custom 90gr XTP, 25 102gr Remington Golden Sabers, and 20 Federal 90gr Hydra Shocks.  I fired the Hydra Shocks last and had one failure to return to battery.  The slide was about 1/8th inch out.  A tap with my thumb and it was in.  I am not sure what caused it but Ithink it was lube related.  After the last outing I cleaned and lubed it with a light coat of TW25B.  Then it rode in my pocket for two weeks and I went to the range today without adding additional lube.  It happened with a Colt magazine, but I did use all four today and they were great.

I do feel this was my fault, as I don't like a lot of lube when I carry, and it did happen towards the end of the session.

All in all I still love this pistol.  Feels so good in the hand.

And PS, those Golden Sabers, despite weighing 102 grs, got some spice!  It was most accurate with the Hornady and they had no recoil.

Oh yea the white front sight helped, but I still think it is too wide for the rear.  I might save up and send it to Novak.  I feel this pistol will be riding with me for a long time :)
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a standard Pocketlite, also. (I prefer wood over plastic Home made curly cherry.)

I got to fire it last week and it is a sweetheart compared to a TCP.
I had thought the Beretta 84 was the best shooting .380 but the Colt is a very close second.
I think the biggest part of it is the beaver tail that tames the rise.
Strong trigger and hammer springs, though.

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a newer XSP Mustang myself and a Kimber Micro Raptor also. I love the XSP it fits my hands nicely, shoots like a big pistol accuracy wise,  it surprised me with good groups at 10 and 15 yards! Not bad for a pocket gun. Overall it just feels and shoots like a mini 1911 pistol nothing wrong with that for 1911 fans.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Place holder for my first Colt being purchased tomorrow.

Any suggestions for self defense loads in .380?
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Hornady Critical Defense 380 feeds and functions 100% in all my 380 pistols so has become my preferred 380 defense load. Hornady XTP HP also works will and penetrates alittle better with slightly less expansion overall. Most all 380 loads struggle to met FBI testing of beyond 12" with overly aggressive 380 size/weight bullet expansion. That said I still don't care to get shot by a 380 anytime soon!

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hornady Critical Defense 380 feeds and functions 100% in all my 380 pistols so has become my preferred 380 defense load. Hornady XTP HP also works will and penetrates alittle better with slightly less expansion overall. Most all 380 loads struggle to met FBI testing of beyond 12" with overly aggressive 380 size/weight bullet expansion. That said I still don't care to get shot by a 380 anytime soon!

View Quote
I've got two boxes of .380 HST's on the way, I'm very partial to that line up from Federal. I hear ten inches is the norm in .380 regarding the HST's in 99 weight, but I'll give the Critical Defense a look at as well as possibly Gold Dots.

Obligatory photo:

Thanks for all the help, guys!
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#17]
HST, Gold Dot , PDX1 its all good stuff  the critical defense just had alittle pointer bullet profile
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I have tried about a half dozen types of hollow points in my Mustang.  I settled on the 90gr Gold Dot simply because it was the most accurate in my gun.  My second choice is Fed Hydra-Shock, and Hornady XTP third.  In reality the last two are tied, but I prefer nickel cases for ammo that will sit around in a magazine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Another ammo option is Lehigh Defense, if you can find it

Ammo Quest vid

MAC vid

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Another ammo option is Lehigh Defense, if you can find it

Ammo Quest vid

MAC vid

View Quote
24" is too much for me. I'm in the process of doing my own tests in HST, Golden Saber, and Buffalo Bore +P.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top