Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 3/21/2015 1:22:33 AM EDT
I have the opportunity to purchase a used Colt .38 super.  It is this gun, but not this listing.  
Anybody have any more info on it?  Looks to be a TALO gun.

Asking price is $850.  Is this a fair offer?

Looking for a decent shooter and seems affordable.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:17:32 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's stock and in good condition, I would pick it up. If the idiot mark is present or rough wear, maybe you can nick $50-75 off the price.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I would only fo if you have the chance to shoot it first.

I got a brand new stainless Colt Super a few years ago and it ran for shit.

Sold it.

If you buy it, IM me.

I'll sell you a couple boxes of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I might try it for 850.  If you are looking at the same gun as the link, I could not deal with that rear U sight.
And if you end up getting a beavertail/new hammer, you will end up putting some $$ into that gun.

38 super Colts are funny, some run great, some not so much.  See if you can range test?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I may have the opportunity to shoot it.  Light wear.  No idiot mark.  Agreed sight are horrible.  It's at LGS.  I offered  a lowball 750 and he countered with 775.  I'll see if I can "rent" it to see if it functions well.  this would be my first 1911 and a little apprehensive.
Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Lucky!   I lust for a Colt in 38 Super
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Not digging those sights. I would rather get one of the Colt 1911 Government 38 Super 02991 pistols. By the time I replaced the sights on the Talo the cost would be about the same, and I end up with a new pistol, not used with new sights.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
$850 for a Colt Talo. Fuck yes. And the sights of your choice wouldn't be that difficult or expensive.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I may have the opportunity to shoot it.  Light wear.  No idiot mark.  Agreed sight are horrible.  It's at LGS.  I offered  a lowball 750 and he countered with 775.  I'll see if I can "rent" it to see if it functions well.  this would be my first 1911 and a little apprehensive.
Thanks for your help
View Quote

Where in MN? If you don't buy it at that price, I will

I have a stainless recent made Colt in .38 Super and while I've heard of there being some barrels cut with a short chamber (which Colt will fix)...I've not had any problems with mine. Runs great with all the factory ammo I've put through it and most of my reloads (some of them were a bit long, but I knew that going into it). Low recoil, accurate...it's a very under appreciated round.

If Colt made a CCO in .38 Super, I'd be on that so fast...it'd be a nearly perfect carry gun IMO.

If it does turn out to be a basket case (rare but it happens), Colt will take care of it. They do have a good customer service department.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one that was a crummy shooter .If I was using factory ammo  it was just moderately sloppy , with any type of handloads (and I worked hard at coming up with something) it was barely as good or much worse. Gun had good sights and a top rated gunsmith had done a really nice trigger on it.

I had bought it at a great deal and sold it at full market value so I made out great but it bugged my that I put so much work into it and accuracy was so poor.

I know 38super has a reputation of being somewhat fussy but I suspect something was funky with the Colt I owned

I shoot 1911s pretty decent but all my other guns are 45acp .

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had one that was a crummy shooter .If I was using factory ammo  it was just moderately sloppy , with any type of handloads (and I worked hard at coming up with something) it was barely as good or much worse. Gun had good sights and a top rated gunsmith had done a really nice trigger on it.

I had bought it at a great deal and sold it at full market value so I made out great but it bugged my that I put so much work into it and accuracy was so poor.

I know 38super has a reputation of being somewhat fussy but I suspect something was funky with the Colt I owned

I shoot 1911s pretty decent but all my other guns are 45acp .

View Quote

How old was it?

Colt headspaced on the rim for their 38 super guns up until 1984 i think it was (I could be wrong but I think it's around there); after that they headspaced on the case mouth. Prior to 1984 accuracy was a crapshoot at best. After 84 (if that is in fact the year) they finally got the accuracy they deserved. Current made guns are much much more accurate and consistent.

Which is a shame...older Colts (especially pre-war) are beautiful but won't really group for crap. You can always fit a new barrel that headspaces on the mouth like normal cartridges and that'll tighten it up fast, but it's still annoying.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:04:38 AM EDT
[#11]
It sold,  couldn't bring the funds together.  It was less than three years old.  Missed the boat again
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 3:27:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It sold,  couldn't bring the funds together.  It was less than three years old.  Missed the boat again
View Quote
Could always a RIA 1911 GI in 38 super for half the price, and see if you like the caliber and gun.  While not a Colt, they are a good stepping stone.

-eta  with the difference in price and careful shopping you could even get a case of ammo, which you'll need, because .38 super 1911's chew up ammo FAAAAAAAST.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for your help
View Quote

$775 was the "Take me home now" price.I have 5 Colt .38 Supers and all run without an issue.The rear sight is a non issue since the Novak cut has already been done to the slide.
Sometimes being apprehensive will kill some good deals,been there and lost some seriously nice toys.At $775 you could have enjoyed that Colt and if you didn't like it,easily could sell it
for that price and even higher.Ive not seen that model priced under $1250 anywhere these parts and ive seen quite a few.And most have sold.
I know for sure at that price that unit would be in my safe for that price.

Happy Super Hunting.......also recommend a Dan Wesson Guardian .38super.....have one to,and it's sweeeeeeet !
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top