Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 2/20/2015 7:45:11 AM EDT
Anyone have any ideas on the release date of the new 1903 pistols? I grew up with a pristine 1903 that was my great grand mothers. It was a type I that had probably only been test fired. My dad sold it in the mid 80's.

I have a few but the idea of a new one got me excited.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious myself.............I will have to have one
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm curious myself.............I will have to have one
View Quote

I want one bad.  Real bad.
Arguably one of the best carry guns ever made.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
What is this "new" 1903 you speak of
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If it is true, I pray they don't R-51 it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
What is this "new" 1903 you speak of
View Quote

Colt has announced plans to produce the Pocket Model M with a price under $1,000. (See this month's American Rifleman.) It's not yet on Colt's web site.

It's supposed to have the "U.S. Property" mark, which would make it a reproduction General Officer's pistol.

I have two of the originals. I'm a little worried that this would affect the price of the originals, but I would buy a new one at that price.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The new Colt 1903's are coming soon.  I do not think they will affect the price of the originals.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Will they be .32 cal only?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, they are 100% true to the original specs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#9]
What's typically the best way to secure/purchase a Colt firearm when its initially released?

Are there "guaranteed" top dealers that will stock them?
I don't want to miss the boat one these.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, they are 100% true to the original specs.
View Quote

Good now I can finally get some mags for my original
Winning
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Iirc they will be .380 only
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#12]
If they are in .380, and Parkerized, that will be a good way of telling them apart from the originals. The vast majority of the WW2 ("U.S. Property" marked) guns in .380 were blued, and Parkerized ones are considered a rarity. (The situation with the .32's is the opposite -- the vast majority of those were Parkerized.) I have a blued "U.S. Property" marked .380, and a Parkerized "U.S. Property" marked .32, and I have been looking for the opposite finishes for years (decades, actually).

It will be interesting  to see if the markings will match the original markings in size, font, etc.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is incorrect.  The new 1903's will be chambered in 32 like the originals.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#14]
According to the latest issue of The American Rifleman, they will be .380 ACP only...but Kurt Wolf representing Colt's at SHOT said the 1903 will be in .32 ACP...interesting

Bill
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Funny thing is, their not even going to be made by Colt. With that in mind, I doubt they would have any effect on the value of the original ones.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#16]
.380 >.32
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
According to the latest issue of The American Rifleman, they will be .380 ACP only...but Kurt Wolf representing Colt's at SHOT said the 1903 will be in .32 ACP...interesting

Bill
View Quote

Kurt Wolf owns the company that will be manufacturing the 1903's for Colt.  Picture clearly indicates gun is chambered in 32 ACP.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Kurt Wolf owns the company that will be manufacturing the 1903's for Colt.  Picture clearly indicates gun is chambered in 32 ACP.

<a href="http://s277.photobucket.com/user/jagdkommando/media/FullSizeRender_zpswbmqmx1m.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/jagdkommando/FullSizeRender_zpswbmqmx1m.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill

<a href="http://s277.photobucket.com/user/jagdkommando/media/FullSizeRender_zpswbmqmx1m.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/jagdkommando/FullSizeRender_zpswbmqmx1m.jpg</a>

Dreams of new magazines has been shattered
Thanks a lot Colt
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Assuming that the picture in this thread is an accurate representation of the new production, there are some differences from the originals that would allow them to be told apart.

Comparing my original .32 with the picture, it has 19 grooves in the slide versus 17 in the reproduction.  The "scallop" at the front of the slide ends 1/8" ahead of the front edge of the frame on the original, but is flush with the front edge of the frame on the reproduction. The curve at the rear of the "scallop" is more gradual on the original, and more abrupt on the reproduction. On the original, the "scallop" has a kind of "step" to the bottom part of the slide. Also, the reproduction lacks the engraved arrow and line at the very front of the slide, that is used as an aid in disassembly.

The wooden grip on the reproduction has been moved to the rear, so that it's flush with the rear edge of the frame, and proud of the front edge of the frame. On the original, that's the other way around (flush with the front edge of the frame, and proud of the rear edge).
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#20]
GA Article

Here is the break down on what is planned for this run:

• .32 ACP Type 2 (which means no magazine disconnect).

• 3500 currently in production, should be available in a couple of months.

• 2000 will be Parkerized.

• 1000 will be blued.

• 500 with same serial number and information about the General the original pistol was issued to.

• Colt Custom Shop will be doing a small run in Royal Blue and Nickel Pearl.

• Base model will have an MSRP of $1,395 no word on the others at this time.

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking at the pictures at the link of the left side and the top of the gun, here are some further differences compared to the originals:

-- The serial number is in the wrong font. The originals' serial number is in a slanted (italic) font.

-- The sights are all wrong.  On an original, the rear sight has more squared shoulders and a square (Patridge) notch. The front sight is not chopped off on top.

-- Both of my General Officers' pistols have the magazine disconnect.

Maybe this is a prototype and the bugs are not worked out. But if the production models are like this, I'll reconsider my desire to buy one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill

thanks...looks great...

Bill
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks a lot Colt
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill

Thanks a lot Colt

1) Buy 32acp barrel from numrich
2) Buy 32acp ammo
3) Buy new Colt 32acp magazines
4) ?
5) Profit!
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top