Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 1/30/2015 8:20:54 PM EDT
Besides expensive ammo,what can you tell me about them?Always loved the look of the stainless version,held one today for the first time .
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
They need a beefed up spring and a shock buffer is a GOOD idea!

The early blued Colt Delta Elites used to beat themselves up pretty hard pretty quickly...

10mm pressures are on the upper end of the J.M.B. tilting bbl design.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a picture of mine and the article below may help answer some of your questions.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=620760
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I love mine.  Shoots beautifully.

Here's the collected wisdom of the hive that I've found in the time I've owned mine:

- Stay within spec on the ammo if you reload.  If you push beyond spec, you'll get into trouble, but in spec you're good.  Seems like the design is sufficient for 10mm, but not exactly overdesigned.

- Buffalo Bore is GTG for full-power.  Underwood is not.  Nobody seems to know why that is.

- Don't change the spring on schedule and you can batter the frame.  So, change springs every 1000 rds of full power or 2000 rds of lite.

- Some people like strong springs, but most find that factory is the best choice as it'll eat lite through full-power with them, no issues.  Go with stiffer spring(s) (factory is double) and you may lose the ability to reliably shoot the lite stuff.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 3:14:11 AM EDT
[#5]

1st gen, bought new 1991. Heavily customized;

Pachmayr adjustable rear sight
Bar Sto barrel
Kings NM trigger
S & A palmswell grip safety
S & A arched magwell housing
Wilson Shok Buffs
Wilson extended slide release
Ed Brown wide extended safety
STI full length guide rod
Wolff 24lb recoil spring/ reduced power firing pin spring
Chip McCormick titanium firing pin
Chip McCormick extended hammer
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Love mine....BUT...I do not run stuff like buffalo Bore through it.  I pretty much just run factory Remington and Federal through it.  Runs great.  I'd like to have a ramped barrel put in it so I can run a heavy recoil and mainspring but heaven't been thrilled with my experiences with ramped 1911s.

I need to have my smith put the Delta Emblems on these grips:

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked this ugly thing last night at Cabelas...

Sports an extended and ported Barsto barrel and a nice, crisp trigger pull. And the Delta medallion G10 grips are a nice touch.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/02798797-3DDB-4EA2-A601-5AC7E41895B2_zps4ulydjw5.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/8BAAF767-E4EE-46C5-B077-0B87FFDAF1E9_zpsbrnoqiu9.jpg

Sports an extended and ported Barsto barrel and a nice, crisp trigger pull. And the Delta medallion G10 grips are a nice touch.
View Quote

Love the grips....the rest of that poor thing is like....well...like rape.  It's fucking hideous.

Whatcha gonna do to fix her back up????????  

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Love the grips....the rest of that poor thing is like....well...like rape.  It's fucking hideous.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/02798797-3DDB-4EA2-A601-5AC7E41895B2_zps4ulydjw5.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/8BAAF767-E4EE-46C5-B077-0B87FFDAF1E9_zpsbrnoqiu9.jpg

Kind of want to replaced the extended magwell with a normal MSH; replace the barrel with a Govt. length barrel and that's pretty much it. I haven't fired the weapon yet (stuck at work doing overtime), but I will make a solid decision once I fire it and see how it performs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had my blued delta since they come out, or about a yr after.  Had it so long the dies have no mention of .40.   I need to get a new recoil spring for sure, and whatever else that would be a good upgrade. Enjoy seeing all the different .10's And what can be done with them,  Interesting to see someone do some switch barrel work.   Does anyone else still have the guns and ammo with the Delta Elite on the cover.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Kind of want to replaced the extended magwell with a normal MSH; replace the barrel with a Govt. length barrel and that's pretty much it. I haven't fired the weapon yet (stuck at work doing overtime), but I will make a solid decision once I fire it and see how it performs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are a wise man.  I also suggest trimming the gas pedal safety down.  That is the nice thing about those, you can shape them as you like.  I completely agree with you taking of the MSH and getting some normal profile grips.  Should be too hard to find some G10 Delta Emblem grips if you look around.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You are a wise man.  I also suggest trimming the gas pedal safety down.  That is the nice thing about those, you can shape them as you like.  I completely agree with you taking of the MSH and getting some normal profile grips.  Should be too hard to find some G10 Delta Emblem grips if you look around.
View Quote

I like the grips - Look like custom VZ Operator Grips. I'm keeping those. I am pretty much a stock guy when it comes to 1911s, specially nice ones, like this. I want to polish the slide and frame to remove the scratches. Rearrange a few things but not too much.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I like the grips - Look like custom VZ Operator Grips. I'm keeping those. I am pretty much a stock guy when it comes to 1911s, specially nice ones, like this. I want to polish the slide and frame to remove the scratches. Rearrange a few things but not too much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thing is, those grips are flat bottoms and do look best ( that is entirely subjective as think extended magwells look like shit ) with extended mag wells.  You should be able to get the identical grips but in normal 1911 type with the beveled bottom.

I am just thankful that you rescued her.  The original owner must have been a douche of the highest order.  God DAMN that gun looks like shit.  Poor little thing.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Well? Did a little de-Bubbaizing of the Delta...

Replaced the trigger and MSH; i also have other parts that need to be fitted, but I am on my way.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well? Did a little de-Bubbaizing of the Delta...
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/2ABA8F34-B8D5-48A6-9A44-9AD3D1AA0520_zpszspqk6xv.jpg
Replaced the trigger and MSH; i also have other parts that need to be fitted, but I am on my way.
View Quote

Already lookin' good, Man!!!!  Keep it up!!!!!!!!  See if someone can apply the proper decorative bevel to the bottom of the grips ( see these grips on the Delta below for a reference ) and you will be damn close to stellar!!!  
Rock on, our fellow 10mm aficionado!!!!  Rock on!

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Great looking pistols. I just purchased a newer model and the seller had put on a beavertail that does not match the finish of the brushed or matte stainless. It appears to be too shiny. Who makes a grip safety that matches the factory finish?

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#18]
While the ammo can be in short supply, I really don't find it all that expensive.
That being said I load my own.

My Delta, eighty something model.

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Factory 10mm ammo is a rip off. It shouldn't cost much more than 40SW. It's much more expensive than 40 because of the lack of buyers, so they have to make up the production and shipment costs on the low volume of 10mm sales.

That's why 10mm is one of the most cost effective rounds to reload.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Love the 10mm.  My recent Delta I had Greg Derr Precision do.

1497968_779856748811142_5834708962956309186_o by Ruben Zamora, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been drooling after a Delta Elite for a long time, finally starting to get to where I'll spring for one.

Questions though, being that used and new seem to be about equivalent on pricing... Is there any changes or design updates that make the purchase of a new model preferable over a earlier one?

Also, saw bigger hammer mention the blued ones seem to beat themselves up. Is that inherent to that specific model compared to the stainless one or more just heavy use/heavy loads without the proper maintenance/mods?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just finished fitting .40 S&W and 9mm barrels to mine this evening.

As soon as I see how they work out, I will be doing a .38 Super as well.

If they all work as I suspect they will, it will be a very versatile firearm.

I also have finished a few upgrades,

Wilson combat parts:
Beavertail Grip Safety
Bullet Proof Hammer
bullet Proof Sear
Bullet Proof Tactical Thumb Safety
Checkered flat MSH
FLGR
24# Recoil spring

Of course, it was awesome just stock 10mm, I just made it more awesommer
View Quote

You had my curiosity, now you have my attention!!
Edit:
Didn't realize this thread is a bit old.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Great looking pistols. I just purchased a newer model and the seller had put on a beavertail that does not match the finish of the brushed or matte stainless. It appears to be too shiny. Who makes a grip safety that matches the factory finish?

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i13/qwikkota/Rods/20160308_084148_zpszwagoafs.jpg
View Quote

Get the right media and blast it yourself.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've had my blued delta since they come out, or about a yr after.  Had it so long the dies have no mention of .40.   I need to get a new recoil spring for sure, and whatever else that would be a good upgrade. Enjoy seeing all the different .10's And what can be done with them,  Interesting to see someone do some switch barrel work.   Does anyone else still have the guns and ammo with the Delta Elite on the cover.
View Quote

I used to have about 5-6 magazines from back in the day when DE's were the hottest ticket on the market, including one entire special issue dedicated to the 10mm and all available guns at the time. I haven't seen them in years an I fear my wife has thrown them out!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Had a blue DE from the late 1980's - excellent pistol.  Ammo just was too expensive for me at the time, so it sat in the safe until I traded it about 10 years ago.

It was a great shooter.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Love my Delta!  It's out getting the works put into it as we speak!  Can't wait for this to be done!!!!

Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#27]
ALMOST THERE!!!!

Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:09:41 AM EDT
[#28]
That's looking really great!  I had one of those projects once...

I bought a Delta Elite from a guy named Hank in New Jersey.  It showed up in the original box with all the original stuff and the original UAW seal of approval on it and looked like it had been shot once and treated well.  So I couldn't mess with that one...

Then, I bought another from another guy and it showed up with scratches and lots of use and wear, so that became my winter project.  I cut metal and fit things and sandblasted for quite a while, then shipped the slide off to Novak's to have sights installed - they did a lovely job of rebluing it, so I kept it with their bluing and sent the rest of the parts off to Metaloy for hard chrome.  I did all the fitting, but didn't want to tool up for dovetailing sights or doing finish work!  Got it back and got it all together and adjusted and it's one of my favorite guns.

Now, I have a Fusion project in the basement waiting some parts.  I got a sudden urge for a Commander sized 10mm and had a frame on hand, so...

Link Posted: 1/19/2017 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#29]
That looks great, Brother!  I can't wait to get mine "blacktopped"!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I agree.  That thing looks great.  
-Craig
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I have an early blue Delta Elite, and early on I tried a lot of the various 'fixes' to make up for its pundit-declared inability to handle full power ammo.  Wilson full length guide rod with shock-buffers, heavy spring, etc.  Those caused occasional problems.  I put all the factory parts back in at that point (new springs though).

What I left in the pistol and has caused no problems and lead to what at the time felt like a minor but noticeable softening of recoil was replacing the firing pin stop with one that has a significantly smaller radius where it rides back over the hammer to cock it.  Also a slightly heavier hammer spring.  It makes it slightly harder to start racking the slide, and so also reportedly slows the initial slide opening rate and reduces slide recoil velocity while firing.

I can't find the website I found the info on back then, but there are others available by search.  Apparently the original 1911 design actually used a smaller radius firing pin stop than became standard later, so this is just falling back closer to the original design.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#32]
OK. Enough is enough.  Went to the gunstore today and plopped down my deposit for the gun that has fascinated me for a long time.  Of course I want the rail version and they told me they don't know when it will be in stock, but I'm on my way towards ownership of this gun.  Just had to let my compadres here know - it's in the works.  It'll probably get here when my CZ 75 TS Orange gets in.  My wifes gonna kill me.........

I already reload for the 40 S&W so I have the di-sets needed to reload this beast.  Anyone have a pet load they use??
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have an early blue Delta Elite, and early on I tried a lot of the various 'fixes' to make up for its pundit-declared inability to handle full power ammo.  Wilson full length guide rod with shock-buffers, heavy spring, etc.  Those caused occasional problems.  I put all the factory parts back in at that point (new springs though).

What I left in the pistol and has caused no problems and lead to what at the time felt like a minor but noticeable softening of recoil was replacing the firing pin stop with one that has a significantly smaller radius where it rides back over the hammer to cock it.  Also a slightly heavier hammer spring.  It makes it slightly harder to start racking the slide, and so also reportedly slows the initial slide opening rate and reduces slide recoil velocity while firing.

I can't find the website I found the info on back then, but there are others available by search.  Apparently the original 1911 design actually used a smaller radius firing pin stop than became standard later, so this is just falling back closer to the original design.
View Quote

This is the proper way to set up a 1911 for heavy 10mm loads.  Heavy recoil springs just hammer parts in the other direction.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Oh hell. Look what followed my home today
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137149/IMG-0276-134075.JPG
View Quote
...and so it begins.....

Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137149/IMG-0276-134075.JPG
View Quote

Nice, congrats, you will love the Delta Elite.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What I left in the pistol and has caused no problems and lead to what at the time felt like a minor but noticeable softening of recoil was replacing the firing pin stop with one that has a significantly smaller radius where it rides back over the hammer to cock it.  Also a slightly heavier hammer spring.  It makes it slightly harder to start racking the slide, and so also reportedly slows the initial slide opening rate and reduces slide recoil velocity while firin
View Quote

This ^^^  I've ordered the same parts, and will be putting them in when I find time to fit the FPS.  It's been discussed on several 1911 boards.  Duodec covered the basics - essentially just replace the Colt FPS with an oversize (you will need to fit it, of course) EGW 38 Super FPS.  Out of the box it has square base and you create a very brief radius vs. the standard FPS.  You'll need a 23lb mainspring minimum as well, some go heaver ie 25lb as noted above.  With this mod you can run normal weight recoil springs (18-20lbs), you don't need super heavy RSA's amymore.

Stock vs EGW Oversize/Square FPS before fitting

Correct amount of radius, notice how much less material is removed vs. the stock part above.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#39]
1st range trip today.  This thing shoots like a dream.  I was surprised that the recoil was nothing like I expected.  I guess being a full size steel gun and its heft tame recoil quite a bit.  Shoots impressive fireballs out the front but I think my XD sub and Sig 229R elite (both in 40) recoil quite a bit harder or have more "wrist snap" than the Delta Elite.  2 boxes of ammo set me back 82 bucks so I'm stockpiling brass and will soon have enough to start reloading for it.  I already have the die sets for 40 so all I have to do is adjust the dies.  Great shooter and most everyone at the range wanted to see or shoot it.  Feels great in the hand and shoots great. I'm in love with this thing......
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
1st range trip today.  This thing shoots like a dream.  I was surprised that the recoil was nothing like I expected.  I guess being a full size steel gun and its heft tame recoil quite a bit.  Shoots impressive fireballs out the front but I think my XD sub and Sig 229R elite (both in 40) recoil quite a bit harder or have more "wrist snap" than the Delta Elite.  2 boxes of ammo set me back 82 bucks so I'm stockpiling brass and will soon have enough to start reloading for it.  I already have the die sets for 40 so all I have to do is adjust the dies.  Great shooter and most everyone at the range wanted to see or shoot it.  Feels great in the hand and shoots great. I'm in love with this thing......
View Quote

Careful of range brass... although to be honest range 10mm is pretty scarce, most who shoot it pick it up :).  But you can get bulged cases with hot loads with some guns, so range pickup be mindful and inspect carefully.

I have quite a bit of SIG brass, it's a good OEM load.  But I also bought 2K brass from Starline, so I'm only loading virgin or 1x fired by me so I know what was loaded in it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#41]
understood.  the only 10mm brass on the floor was from me so I know its 1X out of my gun.

Got a pet load?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
understood.  the only 10mm brass on the floor was from me so I know its 1X out of my gun.

Got a pet load?
View Quote

Ture, it is rare to find 10mm brass on the ground lol...

Some soft (relatively) range/plinking loads are either Power Pistol 6.6  or WST 6.0 over 180 lead/coated nets you around 10-1050 FPS typically.
Stepping up a bit Blue Dot anywhere in the 10.2-11 range, I Like 10.7 over Zero JHP for a stout but controllable Jacketed load, but it's flashy. 10.4g is a popular choice as well.
Longshot 10.0 over 180's is sporty as well usually hitting 1300+ out of a 5", but is over max so work up to it.

Heres's a large sample of data as welll....  10mm Lood Data
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where did you get that bag and or patch?
?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Where did you get that bag and or patch??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you get that bag and or patch??

When my 'smith shipped my Delta back after the work, it came back in that bag.  The Colt DE patch I found at a local gun show on some dealer's table.  He seemed to specialize in official factory "swag," such as catalogs, posters, and logo patches, from makers like Colt, S&W, Ruger, etc.

For the price of a couple of strong marguaritas, my girl sewed it on, ... slightly crooked as it turned out. .

Guess she should've done the work before  the margies.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#46]
I had an older stainless Delta Elite and I loved it. Well, I haven't met a Colt 1911 I didn't like and the 10mm is fun as hell. But, I seriously wanted to modernize it with a real beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, real sights, etc. You know, exactly how they come from the factory now. I thought about it, and just the machining for the sights, plus parts and a thumb/grip safety and installation would probably be 3 bills. Not to mention the lowered ejection port, high cut on the front strap, etc. So I sold my old one and bought a brand new one last week for $55 more than I sold mine for.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#47]
OP, ammo isn't expensive if mild S&B will satisfy -- $15/50 rds on avg.

I'm looking to add a Kart or another aftermarket NM barrel to my new release DE.

Anyone try the oversize, non ramped Kart barrel and have more case support? Thx
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OP, ammo isn't expensive if mild S&B will satisfy -- $15/50 rds on avg.

I'm looking to add a Kart or another aftermarket NM barrel to my new release DE.

Anyone try the oversize, non ramped Kart barrel and have more case support? Thx
View Quote
I was going to run that route....and NO ONE makes a fully supported, GI type barrel for the 10mm as I understood it at the time.  I swear I saw a pic of a Kart and it DID look like it had much more support than the Gold Cup throat of the Delta....but I could never find his barrels in stock anywhere.

If you are intimately familiar with 1911s and have worked on them in the past....you CAN fit an Easy Fit.....but it isn't  what I would call "easy".  It's "easier" than a full house fitup....BUT...honestly....very honestly....go with a fully ramped barrel.

I am running a Wilson Combat fully ramped with a match barrel on my Delta...and I do not regret that decision OR the money spent for one instant.

I'd get with David over at Evolution Armory or the gang at Wilson and talk
with them about getting a fully ramped barrel and bushing installed.

Look....it's not gonna be cheap.....BUT...it IS gonna be worth it.  Believe me.

I can run this beast with ANYTHING now....with zero trepidation.  I  WAS  bulging SIG Elite 10mm ammo in this gun before hand.....not any more.  I can run Hornady, Double Tap, etc. with no worries.

I am using a 25 pound mainspring, a 22 pound Wilson recoil spring, a GORGEOUS Harrison design flat bottom firing pin stop ( a long firing pin spring ) , a Cylinder and Slide spring steel extractor and GI recoil plug from them, also.

It's like shooting a .357 magnum revolver....with the convenience of an auto loader.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top