Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2014 9:16:22 PM EDT
Recently acquired Colt Mustang 150th anniversary model.
Thought she could use a little sprucing up for the holidays. The black plastic just wasn't festive enough.
Spent about an hour searching through the scrap pile and found some nice figured walnut.
I have some Colt medallions coming from ebay but I wont put them on these. Maybe a curly cherry set.
Going to go a lot heavier on the finish because they look much better shiny.
These were a cake walk compared to ones for the NAA revolvers!

Maybe try checkering later . . .

</a>" />
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Another set done in maple with medallions. The medallions on the walnut are just sitting on them, not drilled. (yet)
I tried a set in curly cherry but didn't get a good enough figure on them. They still look nice though.

I should be getting it back from the shop this week. I had them go through it and refinish the lower. You can see how bad the finish is.

ETA: I think I like the maple best. It really goes well with the black.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree that the light maple gives it the contrast that makes it jump at ya.
I am usually very traditional but that is a good look.

How about the same light grips but instead of the blue screws some stainless ones? This would work I think to compliment the medalions
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you think would look good on the stainless I have?

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#8]
How do they feel when firing the pistol? Does the pistol move in your hand?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I think a darker wood would look better on stainless. Or maybe one of the redder ones . . .
ebay has a bunch of them.

Quoted:
How do they feel when firing the pistol? Does the pistol move in your hand?

It feels kind of odd because I'm used to the longer TCP grip but I did get to shoot it last weekend and it's great.
(Note: the Colt and TCP are almost identical in overall dimensions. The Colt beaver tail does stick out more.)
I thought the Beretta 84 was the nicest shooting .380 but the Colt has a really soft recoil. Not snappy at all. (Strong recoil spring?)
The TCP jumps quite a bit and I had to smooth down the sharp edges.
The PPK/S is better mainly because it's heavier but the Colt really surprised me.
My issue with the Pocketlite is the strong springs - hammer and trigger. But then it's not a target shooter.

It didn't feel like it was slipping around at all while shooting and I think it had a lot to do with the easy recoil.
A good grip helps with the itty bitty guns, too.
Note: I was shooting CCI aluminum case. No malfunctions on any of them.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Got the curly cherry grips done. I really wish I had picked a better piece of wood to start with. These don't have much figure.
I may try my hand at checkering them. Or put the medallions on and be done with it.

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top