Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 12/12/2014 9:11:48 PM EDT
Hi guys, this is my first post on AR15, so first and foremost, just wanted to say hello.

I have a question that I hope some resident experts may be able to assist me with....

I went down to my FFL today, and since the last time we met, they have expanded into a very nice store.  Among the common firearms, they also sell some rare stuff (have a colt python, diamondback, etc), and also quite a few beautiful  items on consignment from people.

I was browsing around, and something caught my eye....they have a 1967 (I believe it was a '67) Colt Scout Buntline, with the original box and papers, and he's telling me that it has never been fired outside the factory.  From looking at it with my naked eye and relatively quickly, it looked like it was in great condition.  I know colts appreciate over the years so I was wondering if for $1600 you think it's a good buy....thinking 20-30 years down the road here. I don't know how much the "never been fired" adds to the value for a collectible, nor do I know how to verify it.  They guy Im dealing with is very nice and honest, and wasn't trying to sell me, he was just showing me a bunch of random collector quality pieces that I might like.   I am not looking to use this gun for shooting, but rather as a collector piece that one day I can pass down to my daughters.  

This is NOT the actual gun, but this is how it looks basically.  Red velvet has a small 1" diameter stain/discoloration on his.

Thank you guys for any and all help/insight,

Happy holidays!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is a .22 caliber... from looking on Gun Broker and Guns America... it could be as much as $1000.00 over priced!

But I am no expert
. Now the center fire Colt Single Action Army revolvers do hold their value and often appreciate.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
It is indeed a 22 Magnum.  I looked on gunbroker, but I couldn't find this particular model.  Also, what do you think a "never fired" adds to a firearm?  10-20% or more?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is indeed a 22 Magnum.  I looked on gunbroker, but I couldn't find this particular model.  Also, what do you think a "never fired" adds to a firearm?  10-20% or more?
View Quote

That will depend on if there are any drag marks on the cylinder from the bolt (cylinder stop)... that more than "unfired" makes a difference.

The Colt Single Action .22s really don't hold their value.  If you want to spend that kind of money for a "family heirloom" or collectors item, look for a Colt Single Action Army for the same money or less new in the box.

Keep all the papers and never work the action... in the 20 - 30 years it will be worth way more than the buntline.

If it was in absolute perfect shape, all the papers, the original boxes... a fair price for the Scout would be closer to $800.00.  I would not expect to see a significant appreciation in value.

Back in the late 1970s I almost bought a used Colt Single Action Army in 32-20 caliber for $175.00. I passed because of the caliber.  I'd love to know what it would be worth today!
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:05:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you very much for that post, I appreciate it, it has been extremely helpful!  I will wait until something better comes along.  Thats the trouble with collector items, you fall in love with them, and end up overpaying.  Glad I posted here, and will look for a single action army!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Run, don't walk out of that store and never go in there again.  

That pistol is overpriced by more than 1000 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
As others mentioned, that's way high for that pistol. For that money you can find a nice SAA.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top