Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 3:18:15 PM EDT
Just picked up my very first 1911 today with "Model of 1911 US Army" stamped on the (right side) slide and stamped (on the left side) on the frame "Property of US Government".  I've pored over the Net to get bead on the date of mfg. using a search by Ser.#; all to no avail.  Anybody know a date range for the following Ser#, No158XXX?

Edit:  I'll get pics posted soon; may need help converting link(s) into viewable images.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Made in 1944, Remington Rand serial number range.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Fx  is incorrect a six digit number would be pre World War One pics would help. I can check my references when I get home and give more info.
World War Two era property mark is on the right 1911 not a1 marks were on the left.
? Condition/finish/parts original would like to know!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fx  is incorrect a six digit number would be pre World War One pics would help. I can check my references when I get home and give more info.
World War Two era property mark is on the right 1911 not a1 marks were on the left.
View Quote

serial # range 151987 - 185800 was assigned to Colt in 1917 according to the pocket chronology of the 1911 Automatic pistol by Larry hacker
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

serial # range 151987 - 185800 was assigned to Colt in 1917 according to the pocket chronology of the 1911 Automatic pistol by Larry hacker
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoops, counted the "X"s wrong.  Damn 50+ year old eyes!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know the feeling.....I cant see crap anymore.......getting back to Op's pistol...I guess we can assume a Remington Rand slide on Colt frame means an arsenal rebuild if the proof markings are there.....
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know the feeling.....I cant see crap anymore.......getting back to Op's pistol...I guess we can assume a Remington Rand slide on Colt frame means an arsenal rebuild if the proof markings are there.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it has a Colt slide, a pic would be very helpful.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Original ship dates from colt to Springfield armory according to the clawson's book:
157201-158200 6/6/17
158201-159200 6/11/17
We need pics or much more info to tell about the pistol
Does it still have original finish (blue) or is it parked?
Is there a small "AA" mark near the slide stop?
Plastic or original wood grips?
Has the gun been modified at all?
Keep in mind an all original 1911 from this era even with say 60% finish is worth lots more than one modified or arsenal rebuild.
A modified or reblued gun is a 500 dollar gun an arsenal rebuild  with all gi parts is worth roughly a grand and all original can get close to 2 grand
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Original ship dates from colt to Springfield armory according to the clawson's book:
157201-158200 6/6/17
158201-159200 6/11/17
We need pics or much more info to tell about the pistol
Does it still have original finish (blue) or is it parked?
Is there a small "AA" mark near the slide stop?
Plastic or original wood grips?
Has the gun been modified at all?
Keep in mind an all original 1911 from this era even with say 60% finish is worth lots more than one modified or arsenal rebuild.
A modified or reblued gun is a 500 dollar gun an arsenal rebuild  with all gi parts is worth roughly a grand and all original can get close to 2 grand
View Quote

A minty original is worth more then two grand if all the parts are correct.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Agreed fxn I was referring to a finish worn all correct being in the two grand range. A minty original would go well north of that
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top