Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2014 7:50:31 PM EDT
I am going to have some fun money to spend in a week or so, and I have always been interested these pistols but have never had the opportunity to shoot one. Are they worth spending my well earned money on, or should I be thinking about getting something else. It will be just a collector fun gun for me, as I practice with and carry a Glock 19 or Glock 27.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO the Series 70 was a low point for the Colt 1911 design. Collet bushing, barely function even with ball ammo. I had one in .45 as my first ever pistol and it never worked to my ultimate satisfaction. Blued finish was nice, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMHO the Series 70 was a low point for the Colt 1911 design. Collet bushing, barely function even with ball ammo. I had one in .45 as my first ever pistol and it never worked to my ultimate satisfaction. Blued finish was nice, but that's about it.
View Quote

the collet bushing has nothing to do with series 70 1911's.  I shot a series 80 colt last weekend with a stock collet bushing as it came from the factory and it shot fine.  My factory colt series 70 came stock with a regular barrel bushing and has never had a problem.  I do agree however, that the collet bushing is unnecessary, but I see what they were trying to achieve with it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I think it would be a great purchase.

It will give you something different than the newer design guns you already own, and that diversity makes things more enjoyable.  If all I did was shoot the same thing, then I'd get bored.  The 1911 design is different than the Glock, and as such will be a good variation for you.

The 9mm Commander has a great trigger, is easy to use, easy to shoot well, cheaper to shoot than .45, and a fun gun in it's own right.

The Commander never used a collet bushing, so it's immaterial.  

I say go for it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 2 of them. Bought them when you couldn't give them away.

Great shooters!
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for your input, now the search begins! Which is part of the fun as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#6]
The S70 Commanders are nice in 9mm, and I have never had any problems with mine, although you might find they are heavy for a single stack 9mm.

I had one that I parked through a Military rework shop on a open weekend since the blue was badly worn.  If  you can get the 9mm colt mags with the little spacer in the back of the mag, they seem to work the best.  I had a bunch of 9mm colt mags I got free from a friend at Colts and they all had feeding problems.  When I was in California with the military during the 80's, I asked a very well known 1911 smith about why some of the Commander mags feed 100% and why the new ones from Colt didnt........................he took a look at my Commander and said I needed to have the extractor tension modified alittle, but the big problem was my 9mm marked mags were all for the 38 Super...........................;(.............................................He said they could sometimes misfeed in the full size 1911 but not usually in the Commander.  He tightened my steel frame Commander barrel so nicely that it would drop 124 grain FMJ ball ammo into the 5X ring at the 50 yard line at the old Navy pistol range at SEAL Beach NWS.  And that was with the old King Tappan sights set for my eyes.  It also helped that the trigger was set at a crisp 4 pounds...................................

Commanders are a nice carry size, and my new 1911 will be the Carry Officer model from Colt that is being made through Talo..............................I like the Commander slide in 45 with an Officer frame.  I had a mix/match Series 70 9mm slide mounted to a S80 Officer's Frame in 1988.  It was a sweet carry gun and fed 147 JHP and 124 HydroShocks perfecty.  It went to a DEA Agent in trade for one of his SIG P228, which had just shown up on the market.  He still has it!

Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the combat commander double eagle series 90 in 45. Very nice and accurate it is a bit heavy with the steel frame.  Other than that nice little pistol. Yes I know you were talking 9mm pretty much same gun just differant caliber
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top