Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2014 6:16:11 PM EDT
Looking at buying from a friend his Dads old 1991A1 Colt 5" Barrel series 80 .  He doesn't want it an I want to offer him a fair price for it since he is my friend an he has no use for the gun.

It has a trigger job, Gold Cup Adj sights, Slide job, beveled mag, extended mag release.

It is matte black, 5" barrel.  comes in original plastic case with one magazine a manual.

What's a fair price?  What does the gun sell for used retail right now?  I'm driving to his house now to look at in person.  Any help would be appreciated!

I was thinking like $750?  is that to much??

UPDATE::: 08/18/2014 PHOTOS:::  Took some photos of the gun an broke it down part way.

Just a beveled add on magwell insert, no custom bevel job.

Can't tell if it's metal or plastic on the back spring holder.  Feels like metal though.  I'm pretty

sure all 1991A1's came with a plastic one.  So maybe a upgrade???

Magazine button has a custom large button add-on.  It actually is pretty nice upgrade

over the stock one.

First time I've seen the hollowed out looking pin on a 1991A1 or any 1911.

It was a pain in the ass to get it down to get gun apart.  Definitely don't like this

style of pin.

Upgraded rear sight.  Never used one of these.  Guess it looks useful.

Looks like custom work on the beaver tail was done.  Feels very

comfortable over stock ones I've handled before.

I'm guessing factory machine swirl marks??

Inside of slide.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
just an opinion...but "Custom work" is only as good as the paper work to go with it as far as being done by a
reputable smithy.. a list of Wilson parts "dropped in" to me anyways only make it a "frankencolt" as there is no way
to verify the parts..

but, I'm a dick..
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
So let's assume it's just a plane jane 1991A1 .45.  How much would it be worth?
The gun wasn't fired much.  I remember when his dad was alive he mentioned he hadn't fired more than 500 rounds through it.

Is there some where I can find out going price for this gun.  It looks super clean, trigger is smooth an slide is solid an smooth.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#3]
As above. If the work was done as documented by a known good gun smith $750 would not be out of line. Without documentation it becomes a $500 item. If you get there and find documents saying the work was done by colt wilson combat les Baer etc  then price could go to a grand
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#4]
a used 1991 Colt $500.....adjustable sights add $0.....beveled mag and mag release minimal impact to $$$......$750 is too much money......$550 is your trying to help a friend is more in line
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
ADDED PHOTOS TO ORIGINAL POST!!!!

Let me know what you guys think of the condition an changes to the gun that you notice.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I still think your looking at a $550 gun....to be 100% honest it would be worth more to me if it was all original......you asked for an honest opinion and I think $750 is simply too much money.......here is why

Sights-Mag release-grip safety-GI plug all replaced and they are all drop in parts .......the gun has a fair amount of wear ...for $750 you can do better
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:52:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the look of the 1991A1 an it feels good in my hand.  I'm turning into a 1911 lover since I purchased my first one last year.  I'll offer him $550 for it then.

The gun does feel smooth an none of the changes seem to affect the performance of the gun so it'll be a fun range gun for me to play with I think.

Still trying to learn all the ins an outs of the 1911 Colts.  I'd like to get a nice collection of different ones in the coming years.

So far I've read that the model 70 is the better model to have over the model 80.  As most people seem to hate the safety features of the model 80.  

My dream 1911 though is one in stainless.  All the ones I've seen thus far are for a good bit of coin above the $1900 dollar mark.  So I'll need to start putting away for the 1911 stainless fund.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I would be spending money to replace all those "Add ons", personally. No real need for any of it.
Nice grips though.
AFA custom work on the grip safety: It appears someone replaced the original GS and did some crude grinding on a Duckbill-type mGS to make it work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Not gun smith level work - probably a kitchen table DIY job by the looks.
Regarding the stainless comment- do not know where you are shopping g but my local shop has literally dozens of 1911 pistol in stainless for a lot less than 1900 bucks including colts. Unless you simply like the look or live near sAlt water or on a boat stainless is not worth anything extra. I will admit I am a stainless hater. In 30 years of having pistols and having had well over 100 over the years I recall owning just 2 and the only reason for that is they were never offered blued
I digress a 500 dollar 1991 with a bunch of drop in parts ( that may or may not affect function) is not worth anything more and maybe less than stock .
People love to hate the series 80 and especially the big roll mark 1991's but I have owned several and they always ran good for me
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I like the look of the 1991A1 an it feels good in my hand.  I'm turning into a 1911 lover since I purchased my first one last year.  I'll offer him $550 for it then.

View Quote

The gun does feel smooth an none of the changes seem to affect the performance of the gun so it'll be a fun range gun for me to play with I think.

Still trying to learn all the ins an outs of the 1911 Colts.  I'd like to get a nice collection of different ones in the coming years.

So far I've read that the model 70 is the better model to have over the model 80.  As most people seem to hate the safety features of the model 80.  

My dream 1911 though is one in stainless.  All the ones I've seen thus far are for a good bit of coin above the $1900 dollar mark.  So I'll need to start putting away for the 1911 stainless fund.

Offer $500. You can always pay $550.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Even with all the 'modifications' it's well worth $550. Nothing there that can't be undone if you wanted to go back to a factory set up. Nice piece.

But, I like 1911's and keep eyes open for just such deals. That's a good project piece, could go either way; the modifications aren't permanent, easily reversed or changed to something you prefer. A carefully fitted match bushing from any one of several providers would do more for that piece than the one piece guide rod. Those sights are more than adequate. Lot's of 'tactical' folks won't touch an adjustable style like that but there are thousands of others who like them and make 'em work every day.

If you're considering sending it off for custom work, it's ready to fly. It'll return slicker than cat spit.

And really, who has just one 1911?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Offer $500, and see if he has the original parts that were swapped out. I would lose all that drop in junk in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:51:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I gave him $550 for it.  He needed the money an I wanted a bang around 1911 that I can toy with.  This is a gun I can have fun an add upgrades to or customize with all the after market goodies available out there an get practice working on it.

My officers model 1911 is brand new kind of nice gun I'd like to keep looking nice.  It's a Mark IV Model 80 that shoots the balls sack hair off a fly.  I love that gun!  But it's still so nice an brand new to me even though it's probably 15 years old or so.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Those are not Gold Cup sights.

Offer $500

Is it just me, or does it look like the OD of the barrel was polished/fitted to fit the bushing?

That thing screams Bubba.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#15]
You did good. Price was alright.

Nothing there that cannot be corrected.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd offer $400 and go from there.

It needs new sights, grip safety, mainspring housing, guide rod and plug, springs, trigger, and you can bet the hammer, sear and disconnector are fucked.

If someone polished the feedramp, subtract another $50 and do not go any higher.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like a $550-$600 deal to me. Does it have papers?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#18]
It was definitely a $500-$600 gun and has been fired MUCH more than 500 rounds.

It looks like it's had close to 2500-5000 through it.

Mine I know has had only 500 and it still looks box new.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top