Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 7/15/2014 1:00:32 AM EDT
I was out killing time, with my nephew, today, and decided to swing by my favorite Fun Shop.  Met the gun manager, who I've been dealing with for years now, and had our usual conversation.  He pulled out a 4473 and laughed, asking if I wanted to fill it out now.  I just started looking to see if there was anything I "had" to have.  He showed my a Colt 1911 that was some special comp gun, but I wasn't interested.  We looked at just about everything there and I didn't see anything, that said "get me".  As I was about to head out, another friend of mine walked in.  We started talking a bit.  A few minutes later my favorite gun manager, brought a gun over to me. He had a big grin on his face, as he handed it to me.  As I took it he said,"We've been waiting for a while for this one."  I saw it and immediately knew I was going to take it.  I asked the price and he said, "$1679, which I was good with, then he said, and you get 10% off of that.  I told him, "SOLD".  They had literally just got the gun into the store.  The other sales guy, said, "I guess I don't need to make a tag fit it now?"  Anyway here it is in all it's beauty.  Can't wait to get it to the range. It came with 2 Wilson Combat mags too.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:18:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice.

I would have done the same.

And thank God you posted at least one picture!
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice, one of the VERY few new guns I'm wanting to buy. Did well on the price also..
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice. Does it have a steel mainspring housing or plastic like the Colt Rail Gun? I assume it's steel with the lanyard ring.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
It's our LUCKY DAY!

Damn these are nice pistols. Wow.

All STEEL by the way.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice! Damn this place cost me too much money. Just bought a Rail Gun now I want this one too.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Do they still have the EGA prefix serial number?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice! Damn this place cost me too much money. Just bought a Rail Gun now I want this one too.
View Quote

Have a little more than 2000 rounds through a 'used' Rail Gun ...no stoppage. None. Zip. Nada one. Love the Rail Gun! Hold it steady and drop 'em all in one ragged hole.

Expect nothing less from the CQB.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes!

The only change is removal of the USMC roll mark and replacement with M45A1.

I believe, it's also available without the Custom Shop hand fittings and custom Pelican case & Otis cleaning kit for a few hundred $$ less ...comes in a regular Colt blue plastic case.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:13:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes!

I believe, it's also available without the Custom Shop hand fittings and custom Pelican case & Otis cleaning kit for a few hundred $$ less ...comes in a regular Colt blue plastic case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes!

Mine came in the plain blue case without the cleaning kit or Pelican case.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes!

Not sure how much that's going to matter. ALL the guns will be accurate & reliable beyond expectations. Have never read a bad review.

Ordered mine 14 months ago almost to the day. Worth the waiting. Even without the USMC rollmark. The Colt M45A1 is destined to be a classic pistol. And we may start to see them more frequently but the demand is still very strong and they should never last long at the LGS lucky enough to get them.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the M45A1 mark better than the USMC marking.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do too from an end user standpoint. From a collector view though, the USMC will reign supreme. I would love to get a shooter with the M45A1 but I wonder if I would ever be able to tell the difference from a standard rail gun and if it would be worth the extra several hundred dollars to have a tan M45A1.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I do too from an end user standpoint. From a collector view though, the USMC will reign supreme. I would love to get a shooter with the M45A1 but I wonder if I would ever be able to tell the difference from a standard rail gun and if it would be worth the extra several hundred dollars to have a tan M45A1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M45A1 is not the same pistol as the Colt Rail Gun. They closely resemble one another. Lots of information out there about the specific differences.

Have both. The Rail Gun is outstanding in every way. Excellent shooter.

M45A1 is whole other animal! Especially from the Custom Shop. Well worth the few hundred $$ more in price.

You will like the M45A1. Ya, it's that nice. Colt has moved the 1911 design far ahead. The improvements to function and reliability and most of all -- shootability exceed expectations.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The M45A1 is not the same pistol as the Colt Rail Gun. They closely resemble one another. Lots of information out there about the specific differences.

M45A1 is whole other animal! Especially from the Custom Shop. Well worth the few hundred $$ more in price.

You will like the M45A1. Ya, it's that nice. Colt has moved the 1911 design far ahead. The improvements to function and reliability and most of all -- shootability exceed expectations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kevyn can you expound on what the differences are between the M45A1 and the Rail Gun? I've no doubt there are differences I'm just curious what they are.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#15]
This thread expounds a little bit

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_28/151731_Who_i_sin_the_know___01070CQB_v__O1070M45.html

Part 1 & 2 of the linked reviews are fairly in-depth examinations.

Here's a rundown on the Rail Gun

http://www.chuckhawks.com/colt_rail_gun.htm

This link is another good review of the M45A1 with links to their review of the RG.

http://looserounds.com/2014/03/07/colt-m45a1-cqbp-usmc-1911-review-part-1/

Basically, the RG is a production shop pistol fit with a NM barrel, adjustable trigger, ambi safety and the rail plus a few other tweeks. It weighs less than the M45A1.

There are two models for the M45A1 ...one off the production shop floor and another from the Custom Shop that is hand fitted and built to Custom Shop accuracy standards which exceed .mil specifications. This pistol is tightly fitted. No loose parts. No rattle. Screams precision.

I hope this provides some guidance on recognizing the differences. They do resemble each other and share some common features and parts but the differences are significant. You will understand why the M45A1 is more expensive and has stirred such fierce debate. It's one helluva fine Colt pistol.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_28/151731_Who_i_sin_the_know___01070CQB_v__O1070M45.html

This link is another good review of the M45A1 with links to their review of the RG.

Basically, the RG is a production shop pistol fit with a NM barrel, adjustable trigger, ambi safety and the rail plus a few other tweeks. It weighs less than the M45A1.

There are two models for the M45A1 ...one off the production shop floor and another from the Custom Shop that is hand fitted and built to Custom Shop accuracy standards which exceed .mil specifications. This pistol is tightly fitted. No loose parts. No rattle. Screams precision.

I hope this provides some guidance on recognizing the differences. They do resemble each other and share some common features and parts but the differences are significant. You will understand why the M45A1 is more expensive and has stirred such fierce debate. It's one helluva fine Colt pistol.

View Quote

Just to add to Kevyn's comments, the frame on the M45A1 is a little more robust in the rail for a true 1913 Mil spec rail system and the slide is different. It has different serrations located in a different position on the slide for the FCS.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great info. Thanks. I've ordered the M45A1 from my local FFL.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#19]
$1679? That sounds way cheap. I've seen these pistols on GunBroker for exhorbitant prices $3000+! Why is it so cheap?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#20]
The high priced ones still had USMC instead of m45a1 on the slide. While not reflected on colts crappy website I believe there are now two versions the custom shop model with pelican case cleaning kit and test target and a regular production line model which is cheaper. I am awaiting delivery of mine ( probably over paid at 1700) which will come in standard colt plastic box. I have asked the question on several forums exactly what the difference is and what the production msrp is without any good answerr
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:02:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Your a lucky man, I keep hoping to find one
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Deleted.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Mine is at my dealer and I will be getting it this week. Anyone have a line on where to get a holster? I have been told the somewhat beefier rail makes this not fit a holster designed for a regular rail gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Holsters are a problem.

Went through Garret Industries. Called, asked if they could deal with the larger rail. They are familiar with the pistol and will make one to fit!

Expecting one this week. Will post pics. Really liked their construction design.

Numerous other kydex & leather makers will accommodate your needs also. You'll just have to make the phone calls.

IF, you're really enterprising, there are some excellent holster making videos available. Kydex is not difficult to manipulate, not simple either, but seems quite forgiving and inexpensive.

Silent Thunder Champion
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Picked up mine today - very well built  nearly as smooth as my les Baer - can hardly wait to see how it performs on the range on the weekend
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Had similar problems with my sig. Almost but not quite fit, a heat gun and the holster mixed together with the gun fixed the problem
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Garret Industries Silent Thunder Champion. Perfect fit. Perfect retention.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh yeah, range day pics! About 300 rounds in one afternoon. Constant draw & reholster drills with the GI holster.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks Kevyn will have to contact gi - took mine out for a quick maiden voyage Saturday - flawless with factory but some of my reloads choked it- probably an ammo issue I have to sort out. My reloads are sissy bullseye loads and I think they are not enough juice with the dual spring recoil system. Great groups ( sub one inch at 15 yards) but about 2&1/2 inches right of point of aim. Do not want to damage the tritium by pounding on them so will wait and get a sight pusher. I am taking it to a class in a couple weeks and hope to get an adjustment of the sights then. Very happy so far!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes, the dual springs are stout! Compared to other 1911's this thing is a beast. It will shoot ragged holes if you do your part and feed it good ammo. NO FTE/FTF using Federal bulk 230 RN. Easily 600 rounds. Probably 300 last session, basic tactical combat drills. Waaay too much fun! Very easy to shoot accurately. Easy to control.

Love the Colt Rail Gun, but this pistol is one 'tier' above. USMC got their money's worth and us civilians are reaping the benefits once again.

Here's the GI holster. The exterior is kydex but the interior is high-end leather. Fits like a glove. They offer several mounting options when you purchase and you can upgrade or change as the needs arise.  Good luck!!

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#31]
The Colt M45A1 is a fine pistol. I got a test sample just after they were released and she has yet to miss a beat.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Holsters are a problem.

Went through Garret Industries. Called, asked if they could deal with the larger rail. They are familiar with the pistol and will make one to fit!

Expecting one this week. Will post pics. Really liked their construction design.

Numerous other kydex & leather makers will accommodate your needs also. You'll just have to make the phone calls.

IF, you're really enterprising, there are some excellent holster making videos available. Kydex is not difficult to manipulate, not simple either, but seems quite forgiving and inexpensive.

Silent Thunder Champion
View Quote
Or just DIY .  Gun needed cleaned in that pic.  Had been on an open station tractor mowing roadsides all day.

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top