Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2014 7:33:29 PM EDT
My dad was born in 1947 and after returning from serving in Vietnam he started a nice gun collection, well nice for a blue collar income and certainly modest in terms of most of us Arfcommers, that said I wanted to get him something special for his birthday this year. I'm looking for a Colt 1911 made in 1947 and have seen some sold on auction sites. Does anyone know where I could find one or the best sites to look for one?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
They're generally not advertised or sold by year of manufacture, so you're going to have to look up a serial number range to buy from, and check all the sales and auctions sites regularly until you find what you want.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#2]
When you find one, let me know.

I have been on and off looking for over a year.

On auction sites they may be listed as
Colt 1947
Colt Commercial
Colt Government

Happy hunting.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Based on Colt proof house numbers you're looking for one of 10,000 pistols.  Assuming all serials were built that year.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#4]
You may want to try Sam Lisker's site  www.coltautos.com
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Based on Colt proof house numbers you're looking for one of 10,000 pistols.  Assuming all serials were built that year.
View Quote

Yeah pretty light year for production.  They were just resuming full commercial production in 46.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top