Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 6/16/2014 10:34:37 AM EDT
A friend really wants a Nickel Python. It does not need to be pristine but it needs to be clean and tight.

Any suggestions where to look (other than Gunbroker and Arms list)?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Gun broker or guns america...
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Cabelas Fort Worth has a shit ton of them right now.  Kinda pricey but it takes money to play when it comes to pythons.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#3]
How much is your friend willing to pay?  Even a shooter-grade one, especially in Nickel is going to be several thousand.

Might steer him towards a nice used SS 686.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I would try local stores first. The prices in local stores seem to trend a little behind online prices.

Nickel will increase cost quite a bit. Maybe he should find a decent shooter grade blued gun with a worn finish. He can then send it out for nickel or hard chrome later.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much is your friend willing to pay?  Even a shooter-grade one, especially in Nickel is going to be several thousand.

Might steer him towards a nice used SS 686.
View Quote

I went down this same mental-path and arrived in the same place. Been looking for a nice 6" S&W 686 since. I can buy 1 plus about 5,000 rounds of ammo for what a similar Python would've cost me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#6]

I talked them down to $1295 + tax at a pawn shop last year.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#7]
1.  Get extremely lucky at a gun store finding the exact configuration he wants.

2.  Gunbroker.

3.  Colt collectors forums (there are two major ones)

4.  Know the few good collector grade firearm dealer websites like simpsonsltd.  http://www.simpsonltd.com

5.  Equipment Exchange

Good luck.   Pythons have been shit hot this year.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#8]
NVM . They are not all that hard to find .
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#9]
you're gonna be overpaying on gun broker, sorry man.

I wanted a matching python and anaconda for years, ended up giving up and settling on SW
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I picked up a 6 inch nickel Python for $1200 locally a few weeks ago. There is still deals out there if you look hard enough.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#11]
My LGS has a 6in stainless for $1500 and I am seriously considering buying it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It would most likely be nickel, they didn't make them in stainless.

I'm buying a four inch blued beater off my buddy tomorrow for $700. He met a guy on line at pistol licensing (where us NYers register our pistols) last year who wanted to sell a bunch of pistols, one of them was this beat up Python. Now he is selling it to me for the same price he paid. I plan to send mine out for engraving at some point. Needs grips and a front sight also. But worth the cash.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes they did make them is stainless and they are HIGHLY desirable.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm buying a four inch blued beater off my buddy tomorrow for $700. He met a guy on line at pistol licensing (where us NYers register our pistols) last year who wanted to sell a bunch of pistols, one of them was this beat up Python. Now he is selling it to me for the same price he paid. I plan to send mine out for engraving at some point. Needs grips and a front sight also. But worth the cash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt did make Python in stainless both brushed and ultimate(polished) finish.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I travel a lot in my work, and always try and drop into Pawn Shops, Police Supply houses and Guns shops at every new town.

I have found several, as in over 100, Like new Colt Pythons in several Gun Shops in New England for everywhere from rediculous to really cheap  prices.
One  I was looking at was a Ultimate Stainless Python in 4 inch up in a very well known Connecticut store.  It was priced at almost $3500.  A older gent noticed me looking at the Python, and we struck up a conversation about them.  He said he worked at Colts for over 25 years and retired just after the strike was settled.  His retirement gift was a 6 inch Colt Python which he has never taken out of the Colt presentation case.....................He wanted $1800 for it, but I wanted a 4 incher......................Uh, no problem...............his brother worked at the Custom shop setting up some machine tools......................he got a matte stainless 4 incher which was custom tuned by Rich Tousignant....................When I mentioned that I knew Rich and Earl Giggey of the Custom Shop, he said I could get that Python for about $1000 since it was used.

We had lunch at a local seafood diner (on me) and I met his brother........................saw the Python.............................It was offered at $1200 cash, and it came in Rubber Pachmayrs with the Colt medallion......................................I mentioned I wanted wooden grips to end up making it into an Ultimate model..................................................he said, "I have a Ultimate 4 inch with standard action for the same price".....................he had got it for his wife at the factory discount price in 1991 of $525.    We struck a deal for both the stainless Pythons for $2400 and the local gunshop charged me $100 to run both pistols through their books and $75 to ship to my dealer in VA.

So I got 2 Pythons for the price of what one used one usually goes for, and he threw in a set of checkered wooden grips he had as a spare.  I was offered $4000 at my local dealer for the bright Ultimate model with the added grips alone.  I still have them in my safe and they will not go anywhere.

As has been said the deals are out there if you stick with the model and price you want.  Also, dont get ripped....................always get up to date pics or better yet, travel to see the piece.  It also helps to listen to what people are saying and dont be afraid to ask.

If you prefer a Nickel Python, most of those were popular in Southern states, and I remember seeing many in Florida, Georgia, Lousiana and Texas.  Since they were popular there, they probably resell higher there too, but they may resell lower in Northern or Midwestern states.

Most people who have hung onto Pythons are usually the original owners and usually did not carry or shoot them alot, so do you homework and make sure it is not a worn beater.    Good luck, a Python with custom action by Frank Glenn is a thing of beauty on the range and when dropping the hammer.

Good Hunting  

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top