Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2014 11:35:20 PM EDT
I've been looking and searching for info on a good woods gun which will be used to hunt black bear & smaller.  I'm down to two, the delta elite and glock20.  I have 5 colts, 4 in 45 and one in 380 so I'm pretty familiar with the JMB masterpiece.  I carry a colt almost daily, 1991a1 compact.

What I'm looking for is a hunting rig in an auto package that will handle stout loads when called upon.  I've heard and read stories about delta failures and unsupported barrel problems.  How are the new ones?  Can they handle the heavy loads?  Were there any significant changes made to the new design?  Would you use this a a woods gun/hunting rig or would the glock 20 be the beater in your book?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock for a woods beater all day.

You could buy two for the price of a delta elite I bet.

#akimbobearslayer
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 3:45:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I own a Delta Elite, second gen. aka enhanced version, not the latest and greatest.

I've pushed some stout loads through it, and it handled them with no issues.

With that said, if I were to use a 10mm in the woods as a main gun, I'd pick up a 20, cheaper, lighter, and more rounds at the ready.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, G20 it is!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Got a Delta 2 months ago.

About 500 round through it, very accurate and recoil is not what everybody said, very manageable.

I paid $1150 at my local shop.

I polished the feed ramp with my dremell shoots all day long.

Get one u will love it...
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Not cheap but Wilson Combat makes a hunting 10mm.
Kimber Eclipse is available in 10mm as well.  I personally prefer adjustable sights on a hunting gun so that I can zero it for my hunting loads.

Have you considered a .460 Rowland?  You can convert one of your .45's cheaper than buying a new gun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I ended up picking up a G20 slide assembly for my 21 for which I will be getting a KKM 6" barrel.

The 21 shoots accurately & pretty soft.  I haven't tried the 20 slide yet but will soon.  From what I understand, I can get a .40 and .357 sig barrel for the 21 assembly.  Pretty versatile pistol.  

The delta is the Cadillac of pistols, looks beautiful and is definately in my future, but not for the woods, came to terms with that.

ETA: The .460 rowland is an impressive round.  I can't justify it since in a pinch, I would not be able to walk into a gun shop and pick it up, unlike the 10mm.  Besides, the 10mm is pretty impressive itself energy and velocity wise.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 460s, 40s, and one 10.

The Glock 20 with a 40sw barrel  and hot handloads  and heavier springs is the ticket for power. Plenty of slide mass and the aftermarket barrels have got good case support.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:51:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my old school Delta Elite.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top