Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 5/4/2014 9:42:23 AM EDT
Do they still produce this handgun? I heard they had issues in the past with the cartridge being too powerful n the frame cracking!
I've been out of the loop for many year n haven't attended a gun show since 2002!
What are the current prices for these?
I always loved the look of the 1911 n own one in .38 Super!
I like out of the norm calibers .....
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#1]
They still make them, think they run something like $1200
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#2]
They are nice, but really not the best choice for a hot 10mm load.  They will do fine with the factory standard 10mm ammo, which is only a bit better that a hot 40.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I've been reading about the new production Deltas, they correct the frame issues pretty damn early in the models history... Even 90's models should be GTG.

It would appear Colt may have changed the barrel support a bit... Still not fully supported, but it would appear to support about as much as a stock Glock.

I think I'll be adding one to the safe before too long.  The RIA 10mm was a bad decision..l gonna cost me a ton of money.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Plus, hard to find.  They fly off of shelves as soon as they arrive even at that pricepoint.  Shoots *really* nice.  No problems with any of the ammo I've run through, anywhere from the really weak stuff (barely better than .40 S&W) up to the full load (spec) stuff (like Buffalo Bore).  Most reliable gun I own, only one that I've never had even a single failure on.  Note that Underwood says not to run their higher power stuff through a Delta.  Wondering what's different about theirs, since other vendors say the Delta is fine.  I've seen reports of people getting smilies on the cases from over spec loaded stuff.  You really need something fully supported if you wanted to try that (and I can't imagine wanting to try that myself, I like not blowing my hand off, and if you need more than spec 10mm, you should probably just go shoot a .44 or larger instead anyways).
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.  Plus, hard to find.  They fly off of shelves as soon as they arrive even at that pricepoint.  Shoots *really* nice.  No problems with any of the ammo I've run through, anywhere from the really weak stuff (barely better than .40 S&W) up to the full load (spec) stuff (like Buffalo Bore).  Most reliable gun I own, only one that I've never had even a single failure on.  Note that Underwood says not to run their higher power stuff through a Delta.  Wondering what's different about theirs, since other vendors say the Delta is fine.  I've seen reports of people getting smilies on the cases from over spec loaded stuff.  You really need something fully supported if you wanted to try that (and I can't imagine wanting to try that myself, I like not blowing my hand off, and if you need more than spec 10mm, you should probably just go shoot a .44 or larger instead anyways).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it odd that Buffalo Bore and Underwood make loads of the same weights and claimed velocities... Yet it would appear that Underwood creates more bulged cases... At least from websearches it would appear that way.  Guessing their powders of choice are different.
Colt themselves say that the Delta can safey shoot any SAAMI spec round.

Both use Starline brass correct?... It's good strong brass.  I love it and use it for every caliber I can.

Eitherway... Delta's are not uncommon on the auction sites in the 1150-1250$ buy it now range... So probably a hair over 1300$ shipped/transferred if one must have one right now.   Will most likely be grabbing one before summer comes in full force myself.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#6]
They make them in small batches once or twice a year. You can find one if you trawl the gun sites and sign up for email alerts.

Some bitch and moan because the chamber isn't supported, being a "classic" unramped 1911 design and the fact that Colt appears allergic to ramped barrels.

Whether that's a real concern is debatable, since I doubt that anything but bubba load overpressure ammo that exceeds SAAMI recommendations by 10k will do anything to the  cases.

I just got mine and I love it, except for the Series 80 FPS.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They make them in small batches once or twice a year. You can find one if you trawl the gun sites and sign up for email alerts.

Some bitch and moan because the chamber isn't supported, being a "classic" unramped 1911 design and the fact that Colt appears allergic to ramped barrels.

Whether that's a real concern is debatable, since I doubt that anything but bubba load overpressure ammo that exceeds SAAMI recommendations by 10k will do anything to the  cases.

I just got mine and I love it, except for the Series 80 FPS.
View Quote

How much was it? N where did you come across i?
My local gun shops don't have them., n 1 said something bout a waiting list?! But I don't think hr knew what he was talking bout....kinda talking just to hear himself talk!
Thanks for all the replies guys!
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 3:21:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought mine from my LGS for less than $1000 last year. He acquired a second one and forgot he even had it. I looked at GB two months ago and noticed them going for about $1300. GB only had 2 or 3 listings. My LGS sold his forgotten gun for around $1300 that same week after I alerted him.

Moral of the story: when it is not around the time that Colt is cranking them out, you will pay more for one.  

Wait until you see several auctions at GB and you will get a better deal.

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Modern Delta is a great 10mm

Expect to pay around $1100-1300

These are nice 10mm handguns , accurate , 1911 is a good platform to explore 10mm cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The RIA 10mm was a bad decision..l gonna cost me a ton of money.
View Quote

Please explain.  Are you having problems with it?  Or does having it cause the 10mm virus to course through you?

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I think a batch was just released. Local guy got two and they sold the first day. I went and picked one up in Austin yesterday for $1060. It was the only one they had. Said they fly off the selves when they get them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Please explain.  Are you having problems with it?  Or does having it cause the 10mm virus to course through you?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The RIA 10mm was a bad decision..l gonna cost me a ton of money.

I bought the RIA to try the brand out... As well as to dabble a toe into the 10mm 1911 market...
It is a superb pistol for the price. Only a few flaws that were easily fixed.

Made me desire MOAR 10mm 1911's. . So Delta Elite will be next... Then perhaps a Dan Wesson or STI...
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Buds had them in stock a week or so ago for $1050 (Maybe 1080) free shipping

Blued ones no longer but the stainless ones make their way out 1-2 runs a year.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:44:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a Colt Delta Elite 2 months ago.  I absolutely love it. $1150 at my local gun store.
About 500 flawless very accurate rounds through it.

I love it should have bought one 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:39:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Having had custom work done to my Colt 10mm Delta Elite I was told by Brent (custom shop) that Colt is currently not making them but only temporarily.  He said he would let me known when they were back in production but maybe he forgot. I am getting off center primer hits and sent the pistol back two times. He said when they start manufacturing them he would do another polished slide. You would think he could find a second slide somewhere in the factory?
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top