Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2014 5:07:11 PM EDT
Not much into safe queens, but my wife picked up a 1951 super 38 gov model a few years back and its been just sitting here. The grips arent original, but the gun is in very very nice condition (with original mag).

Any reason to not shoot it? I've had a few guys say it's in too good of condition to risk beating it up. . .

Thanks for your thuoghts on this one!

Pic right after she bought it:

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on what your ultimate aim for the pistol is.  I have a possibly unfired 1936 Colt .38 Super that resides solely in the safe.  

The reason is that I look at it as an investment, which down the road will gain me a good profit.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Some chucklehead son in law will end up inheriting all of my guns and I figure they will ride around in a glove box or behind the seat of a pick up somewhere so hell yes I'd shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot a 1947 38 super. I did fit a newer barrel to it so that the cartridge doesn't headspace on the rim anymore, but otherwise it's stock. Unless it's unfired in the box I'd take it to the range.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm fundamentally opposed to safe queens.  All my guns see daylight from time to time.

It would get shot from time to time.  Maybe use it as a trail gun once in a while.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
pics would be nice but unless she's mint or near it a few rounds down range wont hurt her or affect value......unfired and nib is a different story
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I would definitely shoot it. Grips have already been replaced, probably not NIB condition. I have a 1954 commander (.45ACP) that is in great shape, I don't abuse it but I do enjoy shooting it. Even if it was NIB it would 't have the value of many new 1911s from custom shops/builders.

Shoot it!!!

Oh. And post pics please.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently purchased a 1969 Colt Commander, that was 100% new in the box.  I ran a box of shells through it last weekend.  No regrets.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies! It is in better shape than most of my pistols, but no box and not original grips (had hogue wrap arounds). Sat in an old mans sock drawer. I'll post pics tomorow!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#9]
yes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:06:51 AM EDT
[#10]
send some lead down range(with pictures/video).
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a all Colt 1911 us gov manufactured in 1911 all original lightly used, serial # 100.  I sent it out to a smith and turned it into a race gun, Novak sights, flared the port, ambi Saftey, replaced the barrel, dovetailed the front sight, fitted the slide to the frame, you know the works....

Joking, lol

But, as long as there are no permanent mods, and you keep it as good as good can be, shoot the shit out of it!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:07:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I regularly flog my 1945 Remington Rand US Property marked 1911A1. Shoot it or sell it...
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, god yes I'd shoot it
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies! It is in better shape than most of my pistols, but no box and not original grips (had hogue wrap arounds). Sat in an old mans sock drawer. I'll post pics tomorow!
View Quote

Pics?
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Pics?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics?
I'll snap a few tonight!

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#17]
it's not a collectable. Shoot it or sell it. I had one from the late 70's, I sold it because the ammo was expensive at the time. .45acp reloads were $4.50 a box and the only ammo I could get for it was $25 a box. I wish I still had it, You can get remanufactured ammo no for it at the same price as anything besides 9mm. They have very little recoil and shoot flat. They are noticeably louder than .45 though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I have.  It may even be a year older.

It is nice, but not mint.

I will shoot it again, at some point in time.

I don't carry it though.  More wear comes from actual carry than occasional shooting.  At least, more visible surface wear does.

Some body some where has an example NIB, stored in a hermetically sealed chamber.  The 22nd century can enjoy this one, I am going to enjoy mine.  At the rate I am going, and assuming my heir does likewise, it will last well into the 22nd century anyway.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a all Colt 1911 us gov manufactured in 1911 all original lightly used, serial # 100.  I sent it out to a smith and turned it into a race gun, Novak sights, flared the port, ambi Saftey, replaced the barrel, dovetailed the front sight, fitted the slide to the frame, you know the works....

Joking, lol

But, as long as there are no permanent mods, and you keep it as good as good can be, shoot the shit out of it!!
View Quote

You laugh, but thirty years ago people were doing just that with the cheap surplus 1911's because new Colts were too expensive to modify.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I would shoot the shit out of it!
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry folks- forgot to post the pic! It now wears some old wood grips (completely not original but better looking than the hogues) off of another 1911.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sorry folks- forgot to post the pic! It now wears some old wood grips (completely not original but better looking than the hogues) off of another 1911.
View Quote

Good! I was just about to post "Put some wood on that puppy!" before I saw this post.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#23]
1963 Gold Cup National Match.

I don't shoot it a lot, but I do shoot it:

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You laugh, but thirty years ago people were doing just that with the cheap surplus 1911's because new Colts were too expensive to modify.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joking, lol

I cringe!!!!  Seen quite a few in that condition and was saddened
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Is have Ted Yost and Jason Burton turn it into a Signature grade custom.

So what if that requires machining.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Is have Ted Yost and Jason Burton turn it into a Signature grade custom.

So what if that requires machining.
View Quote

I like that- may have to beat it up some before it gets sent off anywhere!

I was planning on sending a series 80 stainless commander my wife bought for herself as a beater (she loves commander sized guns) out for a build, but I like this idea....
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top