Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/13/2014 3:02:29 PM EDT
Has anyone seen one of these 4 sale at their local gun shop? I have seen them on the auction sites for crazy $$$. I'm willing to pay msrp but not the 3k to 4k prices. Checked with local shop and was told they were not available for special order. I read an article online which stated Colt would release 80 units per month...Thanks for any input...
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 1:16:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I feel your pain. The few to be found on the auction sites are total butt rape.... and people are gladly paying it. I IREALLY want one bad too, but I have given up on owning one in the near future
If not at all.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 7:07:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice but just not worth what they are going for.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]
what is the real price on these?

not the stupid gunbroker prices
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]
$2K is what they should be going for.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 12:36:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Screw MSRP... Everyone of these guns sell at 3k+.  That is MARKET PRICE.  Does anyone want to sell me their stock portfolio for 60% of its current value considering fundamental analysis dictates that is what the portfolio is worth.

<please remember this is a tech forum>
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Screw MSRP... Everyone of these guns sell at 3k+.  That is MARKET PRICE.  Does anyone want to sell me their stock portfolio for 60% of its current value considering fundamental analysis dictates that is what the portfolio is worth.

View Quote

Oh good grief.....spare me the "Market Value" argument. I get so tired of hearing that B.S.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Oh good grief.....spare me the "Market Value" argument. I get so tired of hearing that B.S.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree...  Market Value dictates nothing but stupid prices...  Like people paying $3,000-$4,000 for a stock Colt 6920 with a few 30 round mags and 120 rounds of 5.56 a little over a year ago.  I wonder what all those folks are doing now with their lost investment.  I'll wait and pay regular price for this M45 CQB.  So long as there is a demand on th market for these guns, Colt is going to keep making them.  So just put aside your $2K and wait for the opportunity to buy one.  It'll be well worth the wait.  And your with the $1K that you saved you can go buy a shit ton of ammo and a light/holster for it.  That's what I'm doing...  When ever I get my hands on one...
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That "B.S." is how value is assessed, not MSRP.  Obviously you have problems with understanding the most BASIC of all economic principles.  Please tell me you don't think government jobs add value to the economy.

On the other hand, having owned a Colt Marine, I think the Sig Scorpion is a superior pistol.  It is amazing what a little pony on the side of a gun will do to its value.  My best advice is to buy the Sig for 900 and spend your remaining 1100 on ammo.  You will shoot better taking this route rather than buying the Marine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 1:07:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That "B.S." is how value is assessed, not MSRP.  Obviously you have problems with understanding the most BASIC of all economic principles.  Please tell me you don't think government jobs add value to the economy.

On the other hand, having owned a Colt Marine, I think the Sig Scorpion is a superior pistol.  It is amazing what a little pony on the side of a gun will do to its value.  My best advice is to buy the Sig for 900 and spend your remaining 1100 on ammo.  You will shoot better taking this route rather than buying the Marine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Come on now. My "personal" belief" is it's highway robbery, but I will concede value is whatever someone is willing to pay. I said nothing, nor implied anything about government jobs and the economy, but for the record I do not.

Now. I am interested in your thoughts on the Sig Scorpion. I had a POW/MIA 1911 Sig that I sold because it had horrible problems with FTE. but I really like the looks of the Scorpion and had given some thought to giving a Sig 1911 another go.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#10]
The Scorpion has a better fit/finish than the Marine, not to mention a magwell.  I believe the Sig has a better trigger as well.  As far as your POW, I know the older Sigs (GSR) had extraction problems.  All of the Sig 1911's I have experience with have been top rate. Colts are good, but not to the level of Sig.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Double Post - Deleted
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The Scorpion may be a better value but is by no means the better gun.  The fit and finish on my Colt CQBP and the 3 others that I've seen have been phenomenal.  The slide to frame fit is tight and smooth like it's on ball-bearings and its the best 80 series trigger I've ever experienced.  The Colt also has a National Match barrel and all guns are hand fit by the Colt Custom Shop. I don't believe any of the parts on the Colt are MIM either. I love SIG's but I'm not much on their 1911's. SIG uses a lot of MIM and external extractors don't belong on a 1911. They just don't appeal to many 1911 shooters for those reasons.  The SIG is cheaper for a reason and it's not the Pony on the side (CQBP doesn't have the pony rollmark).
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Scorpion may be a better value but is by no means the better gun.  The fit and finish on my Colt CQBP and the 3 others that I've seen have been phenomenal.  The slide to frame fit is tight and smooth like it's on ball-bearings and its the best 80 series trigger I've ever experienced.  The Colt also has a National Match barrel and all guns are hand fit by the Colt Custom Shop. I don't believe any of the parts on the Colt are MIM either. I love SIG's but I'm not much on their 1911's. SIG uses a lot of MIM and external extractors don't belong on a 1911. They just don't appeal to many 1911 shooters for those reasons.  The SIG is cheaper for a reason and it's not the Pony on the side (CQBP doesn't have the pony rollmark).
View Quote

Colt Kool Aid anyone???
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#14]
OP: You're not going to have much luck finding anyone selling at MSRP until supply meets demand or you get lucky in finding a dealer selling for MSRP.  My local dealer is asking $4k for one now.  Colt is only producing about 80 per month so I think the $3K prices are here to stay for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Colt Kool Aid anyone???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt Kool Aid anyone???

Troll much?  This is the Colt forum the last time I checked.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#16]
get outta here, your sig is a decent gun but its no Colt rail gun.  what kool-aid you drunk on?
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Scorpion has a better fit/finish than the Marine, not to mention a magwell.  I believe the Sig has a better trigger as well.  As far as your POW, I know the older Sigs (GSR) had extraction problems.  All of the Sig 1911's I have experience with have been top rate. Colts are good, but not to the level of Sig.
View Quote

Not the level of Sig? http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_49/147790_Sig_Scorpion_1911_FTF.html
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the level of Sig? http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_49/147790_Sig_Scorpion_1911_FTF.html

Exactly.  That scorpion isn't even in the same league as the new Colt.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like they just went up a little more - http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=448186
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Ended up finding a NIB Special Combat Govt Carry model at a good price...I'll still be on the lookout though for a CQB
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ended up finding a NIB Special Combat Govt Carry model at a good price...I'll still be on the lookout though for a CQB
View Quote

Excellent choice! The SCG is top of the line Colt in every way. Exceptional fit, finish and function! How do you like the ambidextrous safety?

As far as I can discern, Colt will continue to manufacture the CQB but without the USMC roll mark. So I have hopes of acquiring an M45/M45A1 model.

But I refuse to pay double the MSRP.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

So did I! I picked it up yesterday. I'll find a CQB when the prices lower and I recover funds. I don't care much about the "USMC" logo. I think someone who actually served in the Marines deserve those more than I do.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#23]
If your willing to drop 3-4k on a 1911 then you should make sure it says knight hawk  or Wilson combat on it then at least you get your money's worth trust me the civilian version of the m45a1 is not the same thing the usmc issues its just a colt rail gun with a fde cerakote job and cool grips, good gun don't get me wrong but for what it's worth you can spend less and get somthing that you know is put together by a master smith using the best non MIM parts you can buy .
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#24]
My local shop wants $2500 for theirs. I'm a colt fan but I wouldn't pay that for one. If they get into the $1700 range I'd consider it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If your willing to drop 3-4k on a 1911 then you should make sure it says knight hawk  or Wilson combat on it then at least you get your money's worth trust me the civilian version of the m45a1 is not the same thing the usmc issues its just a colt rail gun with a fde cerakote job and cool grips, good gun don't get me wrong but for what it's worth you can spend less and get somthing that you know is put together by a master smith using the best non MIM parts you can buy .
View Quote

There are higher quality 1911's to be had in the $3K to $4K range but that price isn't a reflection of the quality.  It's a reflection of the demand and what collectors are willing to pay for a semi rare pistol.  BTW, the civilian version is the same except for the hand fitted NM barrel performed by the Colt Custom Shop.  It is not the same as the Colt rail gun.  Just wait and see where the prices go on them once they change that USMC rollmark.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My local shop wants $2500 for theirs. I'm a colt fan but I wouldn't pay that for one. If they get into the $1700 range I'd consider it.
View Quote

If it's still available you should buy it at that price.   They're selling in mid 3k range on GB.  Will likely go higher once they change the rollmark.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 1:05:09 AM EDT
[#27]
a new run has just be let out this month

as of this april. they will no longer be marked "USMC" per the USMCs demands.   new roll mark will likely  be M45A1  instead

m45a1 review part 2
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Great!

NOW, maybe we'll be able to get one at MSRP ...
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Great!

NOW, maybe we'll be able to get one at MSRP ...
View Quote

I still think it will be a while until these sell for MSRP.  USMC markings or not.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I love Colts.  And I am trying to love this one.  But I just can't.  I think it looks horrible.  If it was black I would probably want it, but the color just makes it look cheesy to me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I sure hope they eventually make this one in black.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I think it would look good with a black slide and black VZ Gunners or Pachmayrs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Guys

Any recommendations for someone who's dying for one but not wanting the Gunbroker mark up? Any dealers getting them and NOT marking them up?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:20:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Call the custom shop and see if you can buy one directly and have it shipped to your FFL
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Call the custom shop and see if you can buy one directly and have it shipped to your FFL
View Quote

Tried that months ago.
I was told to contact a dealer to order one.
I am on 4 lists (3 internet dealers) and 1 local.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do - it's called a Railgun
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
Colt Rail Gun

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I have handled many Colt Rail Guns (I own two), and I have handled 6 different Colt CQB M45A1's. I am positive the fit and finish, and the smoothness of the trigger and action, is superior on the CQB.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#39]
i want one also.

but the markup is just plain stupid online

the msrp is 2k

i am not going to pay more than that

this gun is on my list to own
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#40]
This is NOT a Colt RAILGUN! To all of those stating on here it is. STOP! You are perpetuating false information! I have one and it shares nothing but maybe the trigger in common with the RAILGUN! A Railgun makes a nice pistol, but it is not in the same class as this one. There is one case I know of where a gentleman developed a crack in his Railgun frame, sent it back to Colt, and they replaced it with a CQB frame. That was a heck of an upgrade. It is also the only factory black CQB45 I know of in existence.

MSRP is 2195. Very few have been able to buy them for that and they got theirs before popularity made them nonexistent. Make friends with a high volume gun store owner is all I can tell you. There are no more made with the USMC on them and those will forever be locked in history. Who knows, they may be the Singers of modern 1911s one day. The new roll marked ones will still command MSRP and maybe a little more. To me, it is about a 2500 dollar 1911. I have a Baer that is a PII with options making it optioned out like a SRP without the roll mark. The CQB is smoother and better fit than my Baer, by a long shot. Everything on the Colt is just perfect. I do not like the color, but it is what was specd. Larry Vickers advised to get one if you can, before it was announced about the roll mark. I took his advice and am glad I did. BTW, I traded into mine.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I wish someone could explain what the differences would be from this to a rail gun(Besides the obvious ugly coating and roll marks).  Real world differences too, not just "the fit and finish".  

I love me some Colts, and am trying, but it's just not there to me.  Yes it has nice looking grips. Yes it has a good barrel(meaning it will probably shoot the same size .45 holes in paper just like my other Colts)

I'm just not sold on it.  I wish I was.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I wish someone could explain what the differences would be from this to a rail gun(Besides the obvious ugly coating and roll marks).  Real world differences too, not just "the fit and finish".  
The rail is a true mil spec Picatinny rail, the rail gun isn`t. I t has a dual recoil spring assembly that reportedly decreases recoil. The barrels are all hand fitted by the custom shop. It comes with a  bullseye target it was test fired on at Colt. It comes in a Pelican case with 2  Wilson-Rogers magazines and an Otis cleaning kit. There was a variant that was just the CQB in the standard Colt blue pistol case.
I love me some Colts, and am trying, but it's just not there to me.  Yes it has nice looking grips. Yes it has a good barrel(meaning it will probably shoot the same size .45 holes in paper just like my other Colts)

View Quote

According to my dealer, their cost is $1850, and he couldn`t get one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#43]
ARBob hit on some of the things. The only thing this shares in common with the rail gun is the fact it has a rail on it. It is as similar to the Rail Gun as a Colt Special Combat Government is to an XSE. It's not for everybody. And I don't think it will put holes in paper any better than a Rail Gun. But don't refer to it as the same thing because it isn't. It is a true Colt Custom Shop gun just like the Special Combat Government is and deserves to recognized for that. Like I said, I have one, and it is put up for a rainy day for my child or grandchild. And to pull out to show others that think they have something cool. For shooting purposes, I would be satisfied with a black Rail Gun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The rail is a true mil spec Picatinny rail, the rail gun isn`t. I t has a dual recoil spring assembly that reportedly decreases recoil. The barrels are all hand fitted by the custom shop. It comes with a  bullseye target it was test fired on at Colt. It comes in a Pelican case with 2  Wilson-Rogers magazines and an Otis cleaning kit. There was a variant that was just the CQB in the standard Colt blue pistol case.

I get that it is NOT a rail gun, and that it has a fancy case and a cleaning kit.  I still think it is horrendous.  I want to like it. But I just can't.  I'd take a special combat cov over it in a heartbeat!
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#45]
the frames, cerakote finish,. the serial numbers. internal componets. barrels, slide serrations, sights, grips, are all diffrent from the standard rail gun. each one is  hand fitted in the Colt custom shop.
I have pictuires of these being built at the Colt custom shop, but I'm not allowed to post them per Colt on any websites.
I can tell you from being an M45 armorer they are rock solid and can work with COTS parts that the military armorers have access to. Even if you have a " Cilivilian version" which are the same as the Military ones, you can not get the COTS parts for them,

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
the frames, cerakote finish,. the serial numbers. internal componets. barrels, slide serrations, sights, grips, are all diffrent from the standard rail gun. each one is  hand fitted in the Colt custom shop.
I have pictuires of these being built at the Colt custom shop, but I'm not allowed to post them per Colt on any websites.
I can tell you from being an M45 armorer they are rock solid and can work with COTS parts that the military armorers have access to. Even if you have a " Cilivilian version" which are the same as the Military ones, you can not get the COTS parts for them,

View Quote

Doesn`t COTS = Commercial Off The Shelf?  If so, why wouldn`t the parts be available to the civilian market?
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Doesn`t COTS = Commercial Off The Shelf?  If so, why wouldn`t the parts be available to the civilian market?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Becasue if Colt doesn't have it in stock on the webstore, you ain't buyin' it.

Anyone notice how they cracked the slides on the Rail Guns during the trials, then they moved the cocking serrations forward as to NOT create an artificial stress riser at the impact point on the slide??

The first time I saw an XSE slide I wondered who was the dumb fuck who cut the serrations like that....
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#48]
One reason is the COTS parts are made to strict military specifications and tolerances that are designed so that the 2112 and 2111  armorers can replace them without having to hand fit each individual part and serial number them like the Muesoc cpistols  this was one of the main reasons that the us military wanted to go with a COTS pistol.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
One reason is the COTS parts are made to strict military specifications and tolerances that are designed so that the 2112 and 2111  armorers can replace them without having to hand fit each individual part and serial number them like the Muesoc cpistols  this was one of the main reasons that the us military wanted to go with a COTS pistol.
View Quote

You are 100 percent accurate; the problem with the hand fitted parts on M45s was it took a 2112 to repair the guns so there were piles of broken M45s because of shortages of 2112s.  The swappable parts requirement is in hopes of moving maintenance down to the BN level where 2111s can do it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You are 100 percent accurate; the problem with the hand fitted parts on M45s was it took a 2112 to repair the guns so there were piles of broken M45s because of shortages of 2112s.  The swappable parts requirement is in hopes of moving maintenance down to the BN level where 2111s can do it.
View Quote

Great thread page, very appreciated. The lowest actual price I have seen on GB or GI is around $1650....not too horrible for a Colt that shoots and has U.S. on it. As a student of 1911/1911A1 US Property War production ("among other things and oh, we all have other things"), I accumulated a photo archive of perhaps 300 different serial numbers from 11 to 10694 and counting. Includes prototypes, the IonBond listing, photos of cracked receiver & slide, etc. (the "cracked after 10,000rds" story is BS), shipping boxes, etc. I did this because the last time United States War pistol production began in earnest was December 1911 and we now have a great opportunity to do it a second time (since the deal with the NATO devil stopped in 1986 the issue of a sidearm mentioned in 55 Medal Of Honor citations over the POS Beretta....) I know, I know....my Seal Team 1 buddy used the M9, won a competition as an afterthought with it and is almost as effective as God used Moses, pardon the reverence).

Green Pelican case and classic blue box are the only observed types of packaging so far. In production, one group of pistols is understood sent to the Custom Shop, the others to the interchangeability bench prior to G.I. issue. They are known and/or labeled as "M45" or "USMC" or "M45A1" or "01070M45" or "0170CQBP" (as various packaging, boxes, cartons, labels and slides depict)...... the last label with CQBP being found on the early s/n 11 and s/n 12). The IonBond (which I will have one) is an interesting color and durability change. The Cerakote is a bit fragile but enjoyed.... it's hard to improve on parkerizing.

As probably known to this group, early Cerakote examples (and were intermixed later) have assemblers marks on the left lower rear and right forward upper of the trigger guard sides and a satin non-reflective barrel finish (versus the shiny barrel found in many Pelican case and/or "civilian" versions).

As with all War production, no two are identical and subtle changes occur during production, some undocumented yet observed. Early 1911 production were not universally interchangeable as generally enjoyed by WWII production since the early fixtures and artisans (many workers and inspectors born circa 1875 to 1885) had not perfected the "widening" of tolerances required to ensure a 1915 Springfield Armory slide be excellent on a 1918 Remington UMC as was expected for a 1944 Ithaca on a 1943 Union Switch.    

An American institution is when the same receiver fixture that machined Colt's s/n 1 in December 1911 also machined the next one you and I will buy and all in between. Production follows the same evolutionary variables they once did. One early M45 prototype had a Weaver rail, was not marked Gov. Model, had different slide serrations and trigger, was more a Cerakote Rail Gun than an M45.

Late War production John M. Gilbert (the 3rd of 3 Ordnance Inspectors from 1912 to 1918) stamped 1918 Colt's have blue-black minor parts and were stunning works of art......this is just prior to the last step of the finishing process abandoned in the interest of accelerated production pressures resulting in the so-called "Black Army" with a far more fragile finish.

This is a color-shifted image accentuating minor parts color differences then another of the same pistol as more color correct noted below.

In a rare example, a no-dummy-scratch 1914 Colt with Walter G. Penfield (b. 1875) inspector stamp known as "the Plum Gun" shows no damage but remarkable bluing loss from being rubbed, polished and "loved" for 100 years. Some Colt's 1921 Thompson's have a similar finish loss when undamaged yet handled a lot. This all original (including stocks and barrel) high 5 digit example with roll stamp serifs shows the durability of renown.

There were a number of 1913-1919 finish changes including fine blue, brushed blue, et al, and now IonBond is here, 21st century production also inevitably changing colors.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top