Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2011 10:12:32 AM EDT
I am picking up a colt rail gun on WED.  What is necessary to convert to series 70 function?  thx
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll need to remove the firing pin lock plunger and spring from the slide.
This will leave an open hole in the bottom of the slide.

In the frame, you'll need to remove both of the firing pin lock activation levers and replace them with a special bushing set.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13121/Product/1911_AUTO_FRAME_SLOT_BLANK

Link Posted: 4/10/2011 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You'll need to remove the firing pin lock plunger and spring from the slide.
This will leave an open hole in the bottom of the slide.

In the frame, you'll need to remove both of the firing pin lock activation levers and replace them with a special bushing set.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13121/Product/1911_AUTO_FRAME_SLOT_BLANK

If changing the above mentioned,may want to replace the series 80 hammer to a series 70 hammer.Series 80 hammer has NO hooks
on the half cock notch,at half cock the hammer can drop.Series 70 hammers have hooks on the half cock notch that prevents the hammer from dropping off the half cock.Better safe than sorry.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#3]
interesting, never even thought of just neutering an 80...

Wonder how many people opt for this route
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I did, specifically so I could run a pre-series 80 Colt Conversion unit on my Combat Elite.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've neutered every series 80 I've ever had, I'm neutering a friends Colt Rail Gun tomorrow.  

this has really expanded my list of possible 1911s.
Do you also replace hammer as well?
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#7]
why not shoot the gun first and see if the trigger and function are acceptable to you and if so leave it alone? plenty of series 80 guns out there in original configuration running fine.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Is there any issue with simply removing the plunger and spring retaining the lever/
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Nah you can just remove the litiigated parts and she'll run fine...I did the same with my XSE commander but I did add the Brownells slot filler...added an arched MSH and a standard recoil spring assy...never...ever a mis-fire with anything ran including lead swc rounds on a lark...and the trigger does seem smoother...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Who is selling there leftover parts? I need the series 80 parts for one of mine, that someone botched up.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
why not shoot the gun first and see if the trigger and function are acceptable to you and if so leave it alone? plenty of series 80 guns out there in original configuration running fine.
I agree. I would leave all of the parts intact. Try it, I doubt if you can, save for Mike Plaxco or Jerry Miculeck, feel a difference in a box, stock gun.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top