Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2017 5:41:16 PM EDT
Ive never owned a Walther of any kind. To be brutally honest they always looked bland and uncool to me. After going to the LGS and having one catch my eye im having a hard time getting away from wanting one. If i do go and buy it (i probably will end up doing it) what are some pros and cons for the PPQ? M2 model of course. (Euro crap mag release is garbage IMO)
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The Euro mag release is actually pretty cool. It's no problem and truly ambi. Everything on the PPQ is fully ambidextrous, identical on each side. The only con of the gun I know of is that some people say the trigger is too light for them, and it is true that if you lump wrist it then it can bump fire a second shot. The worst gripes people have though is that there aren't a lot of 3rd Party accessories made for PPQ's.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#2]
The euro mag release makes it nearly impossible to accidentally release the mag and allows you to activate it without changing your grip.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The euro mag release makes it nearly impossible to accidentally release the mag and allows you to activate it without changing your grip.
View Quote
Truth. Every so often I will hit my pistol just right and release the mag. (LH AIWB, mag release button faces away from my body)

I will eventually swap my Navy's M2 frame for the M1 just to have the paddle release.

Either way, the PPQ is a great pistol.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I had an M1 that I regret selling.  The mag release was actually pretty easy to get used to, but I do slightly prefer the push button on my M2 just because it keeps the same manual of arms as my Glock and M&P.  The annoying part is finding holsters and spare parts.  But the trigger, controls, and ergonomics were enough to pull me away from my G19.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The M1 release is one of my favorite features.

I got used to it when I carried my HK P7M8.

I don't know why it isn't more popular.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the PPQ M1 is the best Poly-9 in production. VP9 is close behind it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Have to agree. The more I play around with the paddle release the more I like it compared to the push buttom. Wish more firearm makes would offer that as an option.  Hoping to pick up a PPQ M1 in the next month.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an HK with that feature and have grown to love it. It tends to make you take your finger off the trigger which is a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wish more firearm makes would offer that as an option..
View Quote
I 2nd this!  
I have heard paddle release is least likely to get stuck from debris then a push button.
Only other thing I have heard is the PPQ recoils a little more then other pistols in it class.  Can anyone confirm this?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I 2nd this!  
I have heard paddle release is least likely to get stuck from debris then a push button.
Only other thing I have heard is the PPQ recoils a little more then other pistols in it class.  Can anyone confirm this?
View Quote
The frame in the PPQ may be stiffer and that results in a more pronounced recoil sensation.  Compared to my G19 my 9mm PPQ does snap a bit more, but it tracks well in recoil and it is accurate.

I find the superior trigger pull on the PPQ to overshadow any small increase in felt recoil.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a M1 that I put a flat Apex trigger in, and it has erased any lust for a Walther Q5 I may have had.  The M1 has the advantage of common magazines with the P99, and that is just icing on my Walther cake.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#12]
To me the PPQ M1 is the end all of striker fired poly framed semi autos. The euro mag release is great. The egros are great. The trigger is fantastic. Its every bit as reliable as the G19 it replaced. I dont know what poeple are talking about with this BS harsh recoil biz.

Sidenote and another great feature is I upgraded the sights myself with no sight pusher. The rear sight uses an excellent detent system so you can easily remove and replace yourself. Front sight uses glock front site socket or a homemade one like I used. Also adjustable rear sight standard, excellent.

Anyway, I dont know how you cant love it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Euro mag release is actually pretty cool. It's no problem and truly ambi. Everything on the PPQ is fully ambidextrous, identical on each side.
View Quote
Didn't Walther reissue these with the lever mag release again?  

I have the M1 and it was really easy to get used to.  Picked mine up for about $500 Cad which works out to about $395 Usd
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a couple of 4" M2 pistols and a 5" M2 pistol (all 9mm).  These are the best 9mm striker fired pistols on the market.  Great ergonomics.  Great trigger.  Great reset.  Etc.  I have Trijicon Night Sights on all 3 of them and they rock.

I have 15 or 20 extra mags as well.  I've been shooting plenty of IDPA matches over the years and I carry one of them for my daily carry.  And I use them at matches.  One of my 4" guns have the APEX flat trigger installed (don't your waste your money as the Walther trigger is good enough).

$100 rebate on them is still going on with Walther - ya have until Sept 15th:  $100 rebate right here!.

- D
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The frame in the PPQ may be stiffer and that results in a more pronounced recoil sensation.  Compared to my G19 my 9mm PPQ does snap a bit more, but it tracks well in recoil and it is accurate.

I find the superior trigger pull on the PPQ to overshadow any small increase in felt recoil.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I 2nd this!  

I bought a brand new PPQM2 navy along with a VP9 at the same time, both 9mm. I took them to the range to try them out on the same day with an my usual M&P9 that I just installed new apex parts in.

After quite a few magazines in the M&P I loaded up the PPQ and immediately noticed the difference in felt recoil. The PPQ did feel more snappy in relation to the M&P. It was pretty accurate and the trigger is great, I just wasn't as impressed with the recoil of it.

After a few mags with the PPQ I ran a few mags in the VP9 and was pretty amazed at how different it felt. The VP9 just felt far more smoother with less "flip" during recoil that might have been marginally better than my M&P.

For this reason I haven't bought the PPQ45 yet, but that rebate might still get to me by the time it's over. 
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#16]
What's a Pro about the PPQ?

Well for starters, I would have to spend 500-700 additional to make my Glock equivalent to what the PPQ is straight out of the box.

Con?
I can get a higher grip on some other pistols like my G17. But once I start actually shooting the PPQ, it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Recently bought a PPQ M2 and have run 200 - 250 rounds thru it.  As has been stated my concerns were the mag release. My understanding is Walther has addressed this in their later models and I think offer an upgraded spring for your mag release.  I have had no problems with unintended mag drops. I do have a couple HK with the euro style release. The trigger is great, not as good as my 1911 but better then any other striker fires pistol I have shot. It shots well and I do not feel that recoil is bad.  
If your on the fence about getting one try to find one to shoot for yourself.  I don't think you would be disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#18]
PPQ M2 4", 5" and PPS M2 and I've finally found my ideal pistol system,
first time in 25 years.
You really won't find a better trigger out of the box.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#19]
slide release is way too long for what it is needed for. I and others have problems with either activating the slide stop unintentionally or holding the slide stop down preventing the slide from locking back on empty. If only they made the geometry a bit flatter and not so pyramid shaped or smilar to the P99 release. It is the only thing preventing me from carrying the PPQ. I have had unintentional slide lock with rounds still in the magazine more so than I would like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top